Oil leak from tube behind rearset

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I may be a noob to bikes, but not to engines. Should I be concerned about this? I realize that there are several tubes that exit at this location, and that from what I can see in the service manual, none of them are a crankcase breather tube.

If I've missed something, let me know.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and make sure it's not fluid from the rear brake. It doesn't have a tube, but could drip down one of the tubes, I suppose.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
It has been really hot out, and the tank is full. I read that the fuel vapor tube did exit this location, but I could swear that's oil dripping out of that hose. I'll check again. Thanks for the quick response. Again, this is why I love this forum!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On a really hot day last summer just after a fuel up, I had oily residue coming out of the breather tubes from the tank, touched it and the smell was petrol, I reckon you have no problem. There are two of these tubes and when I first saw them I thought maybe they had not been trimmed at the dealership but before I went did something really dumb I spotted another fz with the same tubes and was glad I was not too hasty

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the vent tubes from the tank can easily have a dip in them where the vapor collects and condenses to a dark tar like substance like oil almost. Then when its hot out, the increased venting forces the oil looking substance out.

Although it sounds horrid, tab it on the finger tip and smell it. Also oil is a different texture when rubbed between the fingers than fuel vapor, and anti freeze. . . know your fluids! :thumbup: