Oil in clutch

Evan_Wynn

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody have a manual that they could looik up how much and what type of oil goes into the clutch box can somebody please help me with this becasue im in need of oil i think:spank::welcome::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL...What? Your clutch like everyone's else is lube by the oil you put in your engine. What made you think the clutch required different oil? And... how would you get it in there even? In case when you say "clutch box" (symantics) you mean engine oil then... 10W-40, 15w-40, 15W-50 or 20W-50 (non energy conseving) will work just fine...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If no one has welcomed you to the forum....:welcome:

Again..........(another thread) Where do you put your engine oil?
As Canadianfz6 said. The engine and transmission/ clutch should share the same oil. Since it is a wet clutch I would use a recommended oil for motorcycles as they might have characterisitics a little different from conventional motor oils.

I believe you have a 1988 FZ600. I was just looking at it on an image search on Google. I really like that bike. Pretty cool and you can do so much with a bike like that. What shape is it in?

Hope this helps,
Cliff

Evan_Wynn

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason that i was wondering this was becuase if you look at where the clutch cable goes in to the engine there is the clutch case but there was only a tiny bit of oil so i didnt know. But if i but just the 2.64 us qts in there will it be sufficient for the clutch? Also ty for helping me on this and ty for complimenting my bike. I am only 16 and this is my first bike i bought it for 300 dollars and it runs perfectly fine and only needs ferrings and new brakes

Evan_Wynn

Reaction score
Visit site
It is in good shape. New clutch, needs new side ferrrings, needs front brakes, rust free frame kirker exaust, all i need like i said is the ferrings brakes and a new right hand side handle with the electrical controls on it

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason that i was wondering this was becuase if you look at where the clutch cable goes in to the engine there is the clutch case but there was only a tiny bit of oil so i didnt know. But if i but just the 2.64 us qts in there will it be sufficient for the clutch? Also ty for helping me on this and ty for complimenting my bike. I am only 16 and this is my first bike i bought it for 300 dollars and it runs perfectly fine and only needs ferrings and new brakes

Are you looking in the clutch housing through a hole that had a cap in it that you unscrewed? If so, that is the oil-fill hole, and you don't determine the proper amount of engine oil by looking through it. The engine has either a dipstick or possibly an oil-level sight window to tell you the level of the oil and if it is proper. 2.64 quarts is the specified amount to put in an FZ6 engine if you do an oil change without changing the filter. Your 1988 FZ600 may call for a different amount, so check your dipstick or sight window to see if it is right. The bike needs to be level and straight up to check, so put it on the centerstand if you have one, or have someone hold it upright while you check if you don't

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the older fazer, you're better off looking on this forum (or an american equivalent). This is for the newer 2004+ FZ6 Fazer - not FZ600.

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
I highly recommend grabbing the Clymer manual for your bike. It'll save you a lot of heartache.
there's one on ebay right now.

That's a fun bike - be careful.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is in good shape. New clutch, needs new side ferrrings, needs front brakes, rust free frame kirker exaust, all i need like i said is the ferrings brakes and a new right hand side handle with the electrical controls on it
Evan,

Oh yeah don't run that motor with out oil! Remember the tranny and motor share the oil....

You might even want to convert that bike to a naked bike. No faring or body parts except maybe a bikini faring. It might be cheap and might be one of the coolest looking machines around especially given what it is. There are a lot of great examples of naked bikes here on this forum and although they are later bikes it might give you some ideas and save some cash trying to find rare parts.

Also, I did a little hunting and found this...1988 Yamaha FZ 600 Motorcycle Repair, Maintenance & Service

This site could hook you up with some folks that have more experience with your 88 FZ600.

Later,

Cliff

W

wrightme43

You will have a oil sight glass. Stand bike straight up and oil should be from the middle to the top of the sight glass.

Evan_Wynn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you to all for this information. I got an oil change done lubed up my clutch cable and replaced my plugs wires and the wires going to the starter coil and it runs like a champ. It sounds great two i have the single kirker exhaust on it and it sounds great so thank you all for this information.

Evan_Wynn

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanty to say thank you to everybody who has helped me. I have gotten the bike to start and i will tell you right now that this bike is my first bike im only 16 and it is the most exhilerating ride of my life. I took it up to 105 and the bike wasnt even pushin it. You guys are wonderful in helping a new member out i look forward to further adventures on this bike. Thank you very much for your support and have fun be careful and always watch the other drivers. This is what ive learned TY

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are very welcome Evan! There are a lot of great folk on this forum and the forum has a great reputation and track record for being friendly

Make sure those tires are fairly fresh. A lot of times rubber becomes old and doesn't have the performance characteristics or integrity it originally had so keep that in mind when riding spirited. How are the tires on that bike? Is it old rubber?

You will find a lot of people glad to help out with good experience.

We want you a happy and healthy poster.

You've done great so far and got your ride up and running. Good Job!

Have Fun,
Cliff