Now for a bike!

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
Just passed the MSF course..Got all my gear head to toe...ALL thats left is a bike.

One on the ol CL im looking at right now its an 04 silver black 13,000 miles. looks pretty clean the guy that owns it now has only put on about 3800 of the miles. Tires stamps are a year old but iv yet to find out how many of the miles were put on this set. Hes asking for 3500.....INPUT please...

What mechanical problems (if any) should i look out for like the clutch or plugs anything other that the basics.

Thanks -Matt
oh did i mention im in Phoenix and the bike is in LA :D

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
oh little quick update another guy from LA just texted me back hes selling an 07 Yamaha blue black 8000 miles for 3750.... any advice would be great!!!

thanks Matt

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
$3,500 is too much for the 04. You should be able to get him down to under $3K easily. $3,750 for the 07 is a better deal if its been taken care of and is in good shape.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
check out N.A.D.A. Home Page, that is the same book the dealers use to assess the value of a bike.

You can also check out Kelley Blue Book (which I'm told dealers don't use)
Motorcycle - Kelley Blue Book

Honestly just pick something that you will be happy with, color scheme, engine (silver vs black), etc. In the 2 weeks I had my bike it actually depreciated $300 on the NADA website. No form of motorized transportation is a sane investment. Also I would spend the extra money on full coverage insurance and medical coverage. I had my bike 2 weeks and had my accident, had to go get some medical help and the bike will most likely be totalled. The insurance is worth it, especially for a noob.

I see you're in Mesa, is that Mesa, AZ. I'm in Scottsdale and I'm friends with another member David323 who is also in Mesa/Gilbert.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a Black Fz6 up at Apache Motorcycle in Scottsdale as well. It's a 2009, has a Puig touring windscreen, frame sliders (shogun I think) and swing arm spools, 8300 miles. They are asking too much for it, but the guys are cool and you could probably get them down if you don't want to fly out to LA and ride back.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said price is too much for a 04. Stuff to look at:

Tires - one year old is OK, generally less than 3 is fine. Would not want anything over 4 years.
Steering bearings: older FZ6's had some issues with the steering head bearings although judging from posts on the board it is not so much anymore.
Chain and sprockets should be in good shape.
Oil, how often was it changed? IMO synthetic is better.
Look the bike over, is it clean, scratches and dents, some to be expected on older bikes but in general someone who keeps their bike clean takes good care of it. My bike has 39,005 miles on it and has it's share of scratches and stuff but it is still clean. Does not take too much effort to keep it that way. Yes someone can take very good care of a bike and not wash it but that is usually not the case.

On an 04 bike all of the fluids should have been changed and all of the lube points like swingarm and steering head bearings should have been cleaned and greased. Chain should be in very good condition with less than 10,000 miles on it - I had 30,000 miles on mine and the chain and sprockets were not that worn.

The FZ6 is a solid bike and very dependable if properly cared for. A second generation (2007 - 2009) is a better bike than the first generation (2004 - 2006) but a well cared for example of either is a good bike. If you could document how well it has been cared for a first generation with 20,000 miles would not be a bad bike unless you are planning on doing a lot of touring and should go for a very low price. Mine has 39,005 miles on it and it runs just as good as new. Next project for me is to rebuild the front forks and brake calipers - Christmas holiday project.

Wishing you the best in your search. Remember all the gear all the time (AGAT).

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
That's not just too much, that's high as a kite. Cheech and Chong territory. :p

You could pick up an '07-09 S2 for that, with less miles. I missed out on 2 or 3 of them for that price before I got my insurance check and bought my '04. Personally, I wish I'd held out for an S2, but I'd been off a bike for a few months and was rapidly watching the riding season pass me by. :(

If you've got the money, I'd make a good offer on the '07... if you'd rather go cheap (maybe) I'd offer about $2500 on the '04. Of course, the seller might not bite, the guy I bought mine from tried to stick to $3k with a recon title. :rof:

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i think im going to make on offer on the 07 its the color i want and low miles and looks clean. tires are good and has paperwork for the services done. Plus my GF wants to drive out to CA lol. -Matt

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
they are started to "faze out" (pun intended) the aftermarket on the S1 models as the subframe is different and obviously the fairing too. many people are having issues finding windscreens for the older bikes now and certain luggage racks are only made for the newer model.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
they are started to "faze out" (pun intended) the aftermarket on the S1 models as the subframe is different and obviously the fairing too. many people are having issues finding windscreens for the older bikes now and certain luggage racks are only made for the newer model.

I disagree. I have no problems finding any parts for my '05. The S1 and S2 models are very similar. The S1 models are starting to show their age but are in no way obsolete and will continue to provide many years of enjoyment to those who own them.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i think im going to make on offer on the 07 its the color i want and low miles and looks clean. tires are good and has paperwork for the services done. Plus my GF wants to drive out to CA lol. -Matt

Let me know if you do, I have been keeping my eye on that as well since I wrecked my bike on the 2nd. I am supposed to hear from the total loss adjuster today, if not then by tomorrow. The ants need to crunch their numbers.