No one wants to by my bike...so the streetfighter project continues

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well, I had no interested parties for my bike, so I have decided to continue with the original project. The front end is completed with the R1 Forks, custom slab yokes, drag barzs, rizoma grips and levers.

The mid section is done with the R6 rear sets. All that is left is the R6 swing arm, custom exhaust and chopped tail. In the picture below you can see the R6 swingarm fitted, just need to fabricate a mounting bracket for the dog bones. The custom exhaust is in the vice in the background, just need to clean it up and get it coated.

I will be fabricating a custom subframe for the seat with a mount for the top of the shock. As usual, I will keep you posted on the slow...slow...slow, progress :(

picture.php

**UPDATE** Dry fitting the chopped seat and fabricating a subframe out of wood to use as a pattern for the aluminum version:
picture.php

UPDATE: Ok, completed fabrication and powdercoated my new subframe. Here it is in its component pieces.
picture.php

Exhaust and homemade baffle
picture.php

Baffle inserted
picture.php

Rear suspension top mounting point on fabricated subframe
picture.php

Rear suspension bottom mounting point on cross brace
picture.php

Last edited:

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess i dont know the whole background, but did you crash and decided to do this to "fix" it or is this a different bike, or what?
Thanks and It looks good right now!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I want to be the test pilot!:BLAA:

:rolleyes:

I guess i dont know the whole background, but did you crash and decided to do this to "fix" it or is this a different bike, or what?
Thanks and It looks good right now!

After several years as a daily commuter and weekend wild rider, I stripped it all down to clean it (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/18025-i-saw-her-naked.html). I liked the look of it without the fairing and given what I had seen wolfman, wavex and many other forum members do to their bikes I decided to go naked.

To that end I looked at alot of naked bikes and decided to photoshop my vision of what I wanted (see below). I have spent approximately the last 2 1/2 years working on it when I could as it was still my daily commuter up until last month.

picture.php

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So what's the greatest challenge you see ahead? Shock mount or ____? I'm kinda curious how the shorter swing arm will affect the cornering/stability too.

This will be a side pipe now yes? Any reason not to go duals on both sides? Does this mean your old custom exhaust is fs? :rolleyes : :D

And yes, as i said before, Very impressed with your willingness to literally forge ahead! You have our vote, we know you'll be successful!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
your fabricating skills are magical. its turning up great. yeah don t sell it now there are not many fz6 so tastefully customized.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude..this project is dope! I cant wait to see more progress pics and am even more anxious to see the completed result! Nice work dude!

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool, wish I had the time and skills (patience?) to do what you're doing. Looking forward to the results and keep us updated with your progress! :rockon:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
So what's the greatest challenge you see ahead? Shock mount or ____? I'm kinda curious how the shorter swing arm will affect the cornering/stability too.

This will be a side pipe now yes? Any reason not to go duals on both sides? Does this mean your old custom exhaust is fs? :rolleyes : :D

And yes, as i said before, Very impressed with your willingness to literally forge ahead! You have our vote, we know you'll be successful!

Greatest challenge...well the individual fabrication of the sub-frame and the dogbone mount will be fairly straight forward, I think the real challenge will be in making sure the two work together and provide the correct alignment for the shock.

As far as the swingarm goes, it is about 1" shorter than original, however, with the rear tire adjusted to it's furthest location it is the same as being on the original at it's closest adjustment.

No on the side pipe, two cherry bombs welded up to an R6 header with a dual dump to either side, I am curious to see what the increase to flow does to backpressure and by extension performance. If it is crappy, then I will have to fab up something new :D

Yes, the old pipes will be for sale, however, to anyone who buys them, mounting is tedious and requires cutting out the storage tray under the seat if you use my mid-pipe.

Last edited:

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Questions if I may?

Have you tested the bar clearance with the FZ-6 tank at full lock? What kind of triple-tree do you have and do you have bar-risers mounted?

I've got clip-ons and I can't clear my tank at full lock...this is why I'm asking. R1 forks maybe in my future.

Looks sick, BTW. :thumbup:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Can i ask what it took to get the r6 rearsets on the bike.

Finesse :D

No seriously. The bolt pattern is about a 1/4" to wide, so I had to squeeze it in the vise to align it, the brake piston cylinder is in the wrong place so I had to cut the mount off, fabricate a bracket and mount it about a 1/2" back from it's original position.

On the shift side I had to bend the shift linkage to clear the frame, and even then I had to make a small notch in the frame to accommodate it.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Questions if I may?

Have you tested the bar clearance with the FZ-6 tank at full lock? What kind of triple-tree do you have and do you have bar-risers mounted?

I've got clip-ons and I can't clear my tank at full lock...this is why I'm asking. R1 forks maybe in my future.

Looks sick, BTW. :thumbup:

Yes the bar clears the tank. I fabricated my own yoke and riser. The write up on making the slab yokes is here, but for some reason the pictures aren't on it anymore: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/39793-new-project-slab-yokes.html. You can see the pictures in my Photo Album: Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - jtarkany's Album: Naked Conversion

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome work John... amazing! I'm liking the finished product! Keep feeding us pics. :thumbup:

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
If you need any advice for building the shock mount or subframe just let me know:D, that way you won't have the roadblocks I had last year when I intergrated the R6r components.