New Yamaha Fazer8 revealed

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha has finally taken the wraps off the new Fazer8 - " the half-faired version of the 799cc middleweight that will be going on sale in the UK this summer.

More...

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
I just recieved that email from Yamaha! I'm not sure how i feel about it at the moment, as much as i like the upper fairing and belly pan compared to the FZ1, they really should have stuck with the underseat exhaust!

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the upper fairing and belly pan compared to the FZ1, they really should have stuck with the underseat exhaust!

I agree. I like the fairing, but I'm not a fan of the side exhaust. Thanks for sharing the article Dennis!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was talking to the guys at my local bike dealer yesterday..they say they are expecting a demonstrator at the end of next month but they still not been given any indication on price but they think its gonna be around £7995 (going by Yamaha UK's pricing structure)..Im going on the list..he also asked me if i want to do a deal for it after its served its purpose at a massivly discounted rate (apparrently the demo bike will be finacially supported by yamaha, so on paper it will cost the shop a lot less than normal stock will..i thank that was the idea anyways..lol) ....lots to think about

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that is hot! It looks so much like an FZ6 it could get mistaken for one. Very pleased with the looks. I have mixed feelings on the exhaust - love undertail and the low slung types so not sure about which I prefer.

I'm glad they didn't go completely away from the FZ style. Way to go Yamaha, another winner!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good to me. An Akrapovic will solve the exhaust issue; I do agree I like the underseat design better, but it isn't a show stopper for me.

I know we had a great deal of talk about the FZ1 vs. the FZ8 already. I think this will be a big hit due to lower insurance, higher mileage, and the fact it is a great looking bike.

Did we ever figure out if the US will get this or not?

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, looks very much like our FZ6. I also don't like the exhaust - it's pretty cheap looking. After market exhaust can solve the problem.

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm dissapointed. How is this any different than a FZ1? 200cc displacement less? That's all? Compared to the FZ6, we gain 200cc displacement, inverted front fork, and adjustable suspension. We loose the underseat exhaust - the one defining trait of the FZ6. Looks like the answer to the question no one asked. I don't see this coming to the USA where the FZ1 would likely trump FZ8 sales.

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how I feel either. Seems to much like the FZ1. I probably would not buy it as one of the things I really like about the FZ6 was the underseat exhaust.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It's probably a marked step up in performance compared to the FZ6R, and a marked step 'down' from the FZ1.... just a bit more poop than the FZ6 had; with very similar ergos and better components. Makes more sense from the lineup angle than keeping the FZ6 would.... this fits nicely into the space the VFR just vacated, going to 1200cc.

A few things to like about the motor being 'necked down' from the FZ1 mill:

1) As it will make less power, the bearings, clutch, and running components are all beefy compared to a motor designed from scratch. That thing should be even more durable than the -6 or the -1. Back off the power 10%, you get far more 'life' than an additional 10%.
2) If you really insist on putting the power back in there..... there should be a lot of after market goodies that will (or should) hot rod that motor quite nicely.
3) A single can, mounted in a more typical fashion, will be less expensive than the dual under seat setup. (And no one says you couldn't route that sucker under the tail section if you had a hankering to.....)

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Where be the center stand!!?? I love that option, it makes having a bike so much easier. One reason I love the FZ6.

The exhaust is... well an exhaust. Looks like a giant can used to collect unwanted fumes and make noise. I prefer them under the seat, but I can get used to it in time. Fairing and everything else looks top notch. Biggest question, will it come? If the states get it, we should up here.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
So...why does North America get the Ducati wanna-be?

That Fazer8 looks cool (except for the exhaust...that's another issue I suppose), but of course us Westerners need something more Bohemian.

Marketing ---> :Flip:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i like the looks. the exhaust isnt that bad, that said i prefer the one on the 6. looks a mix of the 6 and the 1 which isnt a bad thing. we'll see how it rides when they release it and can compare handling to the 6. personally im sticking with the 6 for quite a while......because finance is a problem:rolleyes:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, looks very much like our FZ6. I also don't like the exhaust - it's pretty cheap looking. After market exhaust can solve the problem.

Improved looks but much louder than stock. I have no interest in becoming a public nuisance. Perhaps some of the aftermarket pipes with db killers would not be too bad.

In any event I would be surprised to see it here in the US in the foreseeable future. As we all know, this is the land of cruisers and "racers".

Tim

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I'm dissapointed. How is this any different than a FZ1? 200cc displacement less? That's all? Compared to the FZ6, we gain 200cc displacement, inverted front fork, and adjustable suspension. We loose the underseat exhaust - the one defining trait of the FZ6. Looks like the answer to the question no one asked. I don't see this coming to the USA where the FZ1 would likely trump FZ8 sales.

+1. At this point, one might as well just go out an buy an FZ1...

For looks, I don't see anything earthshattering or ground breaking to help 'define' the FZ8, which to me is a missed opportunity. As mentioned, our FZ6's have the defining undertail exhaust that help set it apart and made it recognizable as an FZ6. The FZ8 will probably get mistaken for an FZ1 all the time. To me there is nothing about this new bike that would make it stand out and make people go "wow, look at that FZ8!!", nor does it make me go "I've got to have one!".

I guess time and marketing will tell if this bike will have a market in North America. The VFR leaving the 800cc catagory is a definate potential plus for the FZ8.