New Rider With a Confession

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How would you guys suggest polishing the pipes? Mother's metal polish, a powerball and a drill?

Yup, I used that approach when I just bought the bike used.. pipes were in really bad shape. They cleaned up beautifully and I haven't had to touch them once since then.. just normal washing every since.

oh and :welcome: aboard!

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Now if only it would STOP FRIGGIN RAINING in Michigan so I can wake up super early and ride the long way (avoiding rush hour) to work.

It's like I said in my first post. I wanna ride.

All.

The.

Time.

I hope that's a normal reaction.. There's nothing that even comes close to flying down the road, becoming one with your machine, throwing yourself into curves... all while still doing the speed limit. Hell, even potholes and expansion cracks don't bother me anymore. It's just turbulence, or a chance to practice my countersteering.

And if you try saying that to a person who has never ridden a motorcycle, you'll get that nice blank stare. :D

:welcome:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's called blue job. Works great for making our pipes shine. I used to use Brasso and it worked great however I think they don't make it anymore.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually think this could be a great starter bike, especially if you keep it under 7k. The thing that i think would make it too hard is the twitchy throttle/clutch. Enjoy it, ride safe, and remember - Your invisible!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
definitely can be fun, at the track last week i was trying to overtake a few bikes, so pinned the throttle in 2nd after coming out of a hairpin onto a straight, up to the redline and into 3rd, and the bike was off like a rocket :D

(obviously don't try this until you get more familiar with the bike, but there's a whole new world of fun over the 8k mark) :D

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, The FZ was my first bike too, I went from 0 to FZ6 three years ago. I took the class, bought the bike, put on Frame sliders, Got gear, dropped it(2x at a gas station, spooked by traffic the first week out), been up right and loving it ever since.

The first year I just took it easy and learned the bike and stayed within my experience level. The second year and third year have been all kinds of fun and learning, inching the RPM up the scale a bit as I learn more control. I can't see owning anything else, I was the same, Once I sat on it I had to have it.

Nice choice on the blue, it looks so good in the sun.

AGATT is very important, you won't regret it and you can concentrate on your riding more geared up.

Have fun!:welcome:

teej21012

Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike is the FZ6 as well. Dream bike is an R1 :drool: :drool: :drool: but that is for years down the road. I was like you at first, keeping it well below 7k RPM thinking I would never use that kinda range. City boy here where there are stop lights every 5-15 seconds of riding, so I don't get to use much of the range in town. I try to take county roads whenever possible though. My advice, and I know there will be those that say only do it on a track but some of us don't have a track for 2 hours, is to take it out somewhere VERY empty and full throttle it. Learn the bike's acceleration points in all the different gears. This will be extremely beneficial if you are ever in a situation when you need a sudden burst of speed (effin cagers not looking). It will seem kind of scary at first, but make sure no one is around and you stay nice and straight. Knowing the kind of power and control your bike has will give you a lot more confidence when riding, at least it did for me. Knowing that I can bust out of a situation going 30-55 mph in less than 1.5 seconds (and thats conservative) is very reassuring. Good move on the frame sliders. Look at a seat next if you plan on riding long distances. Love my top saddlery seat. My butt especially thanks me every time. But most of all, have fun. That's why we ride!

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

Not counting the bike I rode for my MSF course, my FZ6 is the first bike I've been on and the only bike I've owned.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

Not counting the bike I rode for my MSF course, my FZ6 is the first bike I've been on and the only bike I've owned.

Same with me. You'll be fine, just don't go beyond your limits. In no time at all you'll be glad you didn't start with a smaller bike.

Explosivpotato

Reaction score
Visit site
I like this kid. Welcome to the forum.

Haha I wish I was still a kid. 23 and counting... :(

Thanks for all the responses & advise everyone! Damn I wish it would STOP RAINING. The forecast said it was going to be clear tomorrow (I work 4 10's, which to me means Fridays are open for riding all day instead of working) but now it says it will rain.... When did I move to seattle???

I'm so miffed at this rain it's ridiculous. I know I *could* ride in the rain, but the last time I rode when it was just damp the squerreliness of the rear made me quite nervous. Plus, it's not fun if you're damp and miserable.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
23 still sounds like kid to me.

Not that I'm significantly older than that, so I can't imagine how you others feel! hahaha.

Explosivpotato

Reaction score
Visit site
23 still sounds like kid to me.

Not that I'm significantly older than that, so I can't imagine how you others feel! hahaha.

Really? I feel older than dirt.

Doesn't help that my girlfriend is 20 so I have to ask her to walk to the other side of the walmart every time I want beer..

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
can we get pics of the gf? :D

lol.

Relative to almost all of my friends (who are in the 18-20 age range) I feel ancient, but in the grand scheme of things I know I'm not old.

I have to get my friends to disappear all the time too when I want alcohol, someday in the next few years I won't have to worry about that anymore.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
on those sh*tty little Buell Blasts

I loved my Buell Blast, it was my first bike!...though I would never go back to it and there are better beginner bikes, it was a solid bike. That being said. :welcome::welcome::welcome:

As long as you keep taking it easy and smart, I think you will be ok.

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! Welcome to the forum! I bought this bike about three months ago, it's my first as well. I'm sure you'll be fine, you seem to be doing everything right! After three months and a loooot of riding, I can definitely tell that I'm more comfortable and everything is coming a lot more natural. Where I had to think about shifting (roll off throttle, pull in clutch, shift up, let off clutch while rolling on throttle) it's just instant now, just shift! Everything else just happens! Same for downshifting, roll off throttle, pull in clutch, shift down, blip throttle and release clutch. Now all I think is, time to slow down! I'm thinking about riding it in to work for my first time this morning, it's supposed to be gorgeous out! I haven't yet just because it's a 45 minute ride, almost all highway, and they're toll roads, which I haven't dealt with yet! But the only way to get used to it is to do it! and do it some more! :thumbup: Anyway, this bike has been nothing short of amazing and I have absolutely zero regrets in buying it as my first bike. It took a little while to get used to the small friction zone, but living in the country with hills absolutely everywhere, I had so much practice with it just riding around, I was used to it fairly quickly. This was my first manual transmission anything so it was an eye opener haha. Jeeze I typed a lot. Well, enjoy the bike! Ride safe, watch for cagers, welcome to the forums, and have fun! :rockon:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! Welcome to the forum! I bought this bike about three months ago, it's my first as well. I'm sure you'll be fine, you seem to be doing everything right! After three months and a loooot of riding, I can definitely tell that I'm more comfortable and everything is coming a lot more natural. Where I had to think about shifting (roll off throttle, pull in clutch, shift up, let off clutch while rolling on throttle) it's just instant now, just shift! Everything else just happens! Same for downshifting, roll off throttle, pull in clutch, shift down, blip throttle and release clutch. Now all I think is, time to slow down! I'm thinking about riding it in to work for my first time this morning, it's supposed to be gorgeous out! I haven't yet just because it's a 45 minute ride, almost all highway, and they're toll roads, which I haven't dealt with yet! But the only way to get used to it is to do it! and do it some more! :thumbup: Anyway, this bike has been nothing short of amazing and I have absolutely zero regrets in buying it as my first bike. It took a little while to get used to the small friction zone, but living in the country with hills absolutely everywhere, I had so much practice with it just riding around, I was used to it fairly quickly. This was my first manual transmission anything so it was an eye opener haha. Jeeze I typed a lot. Well, enjoy the bike! Ride safe, watch for cagers, welcome to the forums, and have fun! :rockon:

try and find a twisty alternative :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so miffed at this rain it's ridiculous. I know I *could* ride in the rain, but the last time I rode when it was just damp the squerreliness of the rear made me quite nervous. Plus, it's not fun if you're damp and miserable.

Not saying you should necessarily ride in the rain, but just wanted to mention that *damp* is worse than rain. Rain is bad in the first 15-30 minutes (depending on how hard it's coming down). Once the dust and dirt gets washed off, traction actually becomes pretty good. Whereas damp weather could feel like the first few minutes of rain the entire time.

Oh and 23 is most definitely "kid" :p

37 here.. and still young and stupid :D