New member here with an 86 FZ600, couple of questions.

garrettsr5

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys.

I just picked up an 86 FZ600 for dirt cheap with a title. It's in decent shape, the previous owner replaced the rotor, stator and associated parts. Someone put K&N individuals on it.

The bike has some problems obviously :(

I threw a jumper pack on it and it cranked over and started almost instantly :rockon: I tried revving it and it just bogged and died. I restarted it instantly and it would idle at ~800-~1000RPM steadily. I tried opening the throttle 100% and I noticed I could only move it maybe an 1/8th of a turn before it was at full throttle. So I turned it back to where a normal bike should be (all the way closed) and it died and wouldn't refire until I twisted the throttle fully open again.

I'm guessing my problem is a combination of a bad/misadjusted cable and a set of unjetted carbs for the K&Ns.
How should I go about trouble shooting this?

Thanks! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

Idle should probably be near what it is for the FZ6. maybe set the Idle at 1250-1300 to start with. The other issues may be due to enrichment. Does the bike have a choke? Once the bike is at operating temperature and you have a correct idle it may run differently. You'll probably also want to to do a carb./throttle body sync.. Check for a vacuum leak. Check the throttle body boots and look for obvious missing hoses on connectors etc. Check and replace the spark plugs if needed. If these issues remain you can start doing a compression test.

Again welcome!:D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

Idle should probably be near what it is for the FZ6. maybe set the Idle at 1250-1300 to start with. The other issues may be due to enrichment. Does the bike have a choke? Once the bike is at operating temperature and you have a correct idle it may run differently. You'll probably also want to to do a carb./throttle body sync.. Check for a vacuum leak. Check the throttle body boots and look for obvious missing hoses on connectors etc. Check and replace the spark plugs if needed. If these issues remain you can start doing a compression test.

Again welcome!:D

As for what he stated about vacuum leaks that is a goog possibility and I way that I go about checking for them is idiot proof. Take a can of starter fluid or something similar and once the bike is running spray it all around the base of the carbs and on any lines if you hear the idle change significantly then you obviously have a leak and can pin point it from there

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

garrettsr5

Reaction score
Visit site
295778_10150269759246398_548261397_7879634_734544_n.jpg

There she is in all her 80s glory. Can anyone tell me the exhaust? Its unlike any fz600 I've seen on th internets.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
295778_10150269759246398_548261397_7879634_734544_n.jpg

There she is in all her 80s glory. Can anyone tell me the exhaust? Its unlike any fz600 I've seen on th internets.

Looks like a supertrapp exhaust dose it have a tip with screws on it where it looks like you could take it off

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
By the way from the pic it looks great, looks like a super clean bike and well taken care of. I love the look of some of the older model bikes such as yours, it has a modern cafe look to it hope you get her up and running soon