New look

Koozi

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this bike new in 06 and have put about 26,xxx miles on it. Been a great bike but it was time to change it up. Instead of something new I went nekkid!

This is how it looked the day I started:

nekkid1.jpg

Here are the parts I need -- still installed:

nekkid2.jpg

Part way there:

nekkid4.jpg

And here are the bits I was after:

nekkid7.jpg

Koozi

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the kit for sale on ebay:

Headlight SET Head Light Assembly FOR 2004 2006 Yamaha FZ6S FZ6N Fazer 2005 | eBay

Anyway it came pretty quickly. No instructions included, but it looked good and I was stoked.

The install was pretty straight forward-once I figured out the mounting bracket setup, One bolt on the bottom and one up into the top. The bracket is pretty flimsy and easy to bend so you got to be careful.

Here it is with the light in place:

1337.jpg

Another:

201.jpg

I have added the second mirror, and hung the horn straight down from the bottom light mounting bracket using the stock horn mount. It is amazing how loud it is when it is not pointing down.

I also switched to some wider bars trying to make the mirrors more effective. It's been too cold and rainy to see if it works yet.

More pics to come.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Real nice!

Do you mind weighting the whole front fairing assembly? Wondering how much lighter the stock naked version would be than the faired one?

I tried to include that in my new fork springs calculator and wonder if i did it right.

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently (acording to the internet) the 2009 fz6n weighs in at 180kg dry. The 2009 fz6 with the fairing weighs 186kg dry. So that would make the fairing 6kg more then the naked style headlight assembly. So about 13lbs.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently (acording to the internet) the 2009 fz6n weighs in at 180kg dry. The 2009 fz6 with the fairing weighs 186kg dry. So that would make the fairing 6kg more then the naked style headlight assembly. So about 13lbs.

I think the weight difference is also the lack of center stand in the N version, which is close to 3kg! I assumed the fairing would be around 2kg, for a total of 5kg difference between faired/center standed version and naked/center stand less version. I imagine it could well be 6kg all together!

Looks like my calculation was good after all!

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
That red looks awesome naked. Can you find a matching belly pan? It looks awesome on my black FZ6N, I reckon it'd look even better with that red.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! It gives these bikes a whole new look.

If you don't mind, what bars did you go with? I'm in the process of converting my 2008. I tried the FZ1 bars but didn't like them. Felt awkward. Perhaps due to my size. 5'7". Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koozi

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mind weighting the whole front fairing assembly? Wondering how much lighter the stock naked version would be than the faired one?
My fairing minus the turn signals, speedo pod and one light bulb weighed in at 14 pounds on my highly accurate scientific device...also known as the bathroom scale. Of course that scale lies because it thinks I am fat :rolleyes:

If you don't mind, what bars did you go with? I'm in the process of converting my 2008. I tried the FZ1 bars but didn't like them. Felt awkward. Perhaps due to my size. 5'7". Thanks in advance.
The bars I used were on a mid 90's CR125. CR Lows, maybe?
They are 31" wide, very little rise and about an inch of sweep. I do have a set of 1" risers that I use to help keep the weight off my wrists, I tend to lean when the bars are lower. Upright more is more comfortable.
That wide is a tight squeeze for the cables, but everything fits--just.

Here is a shot from the ****pit:

166.jpg

The 1" risers:

162.jpg

Koozi - Where did you find The Naked Cook Book Recipe Guide for FZ6! Looks like it worked GREAT!
My daughter, also a rider, was making a cake or something and "helping" me. My wife was at work so we were taking advantage of the heated, well lit work space--AKA the kitchen!
The family motto is Don't tell mom!

Here is a pic of our bikes last time we ran into Tallahassee:

167.jpg

Koozi

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple more pics, just cause I can :thumbup:

One from the front showing the new horn location. I cannot believe how loud it actually is:

164.jpg

The handlebars from the front:

165.jpg

I broke the $%^&* clutch perch when I put on the wider bars, snapped it like a twig. Wasn't even over torquing the bolt. Oh well, it seems to be holding up and I carry the factory one under the seat for a quick change if it ever becomes a problem.

163.jpg

Somebody asked about my tail bag on another thread. Maybe they will see this better pic of it here. It is a Kriega 10L. The straps bolt under the seat. It is waterproof and pretty good sized. Not gonna get a helmet in it of course, but a jacket and some gloves or my lunch fits just fine.

161.jpg

That's all for now.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the weight, i am surprised it is that heavy, that means one could save 20 something pounds by going naked and removing the center stand!

Koozi

Reaction score
Visit site
The handlebars from the front:

165.jpg

I went back to the narrower handlebars. 31 inches was just too wide.
Here is a pic of the bars I am using now:

pit.jpg

Obviously that was a pic from before the tear down.

The broken perch is still holding up just fine.
I like being nekkid so much I sold the fairing. I guess that means I am committed!