New Handlebar Recommendations please

burnt_toast

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks.

New to the forums. Recently picked up a FZ6 project bike and looking forward to getting her going. Just picked up some new Battlax

tires for her lastnight! Current ones are baldest i've ever seen..

Anyway, the stock bars are somewhat bent and I'd like to replace with something better. Do you guys have any recommendations? I

prefer the upright position, but a bit forward/sportier would be okay, but nothing with too much forward lean so clip-ons are out.

I had heard renthal makes good bars, but haven't seen any fz6 specific anyway, on ebay.
Found these tho, and kind of like how they look: Motorcycle Handlebar 7 8" Black Bars for Yamaha FZ1 FZ6 FZ600 FZ700 FZ750 | eBay

Tried searching by the way and results were pretty slim.
So any advice you guys have I'd appreciate.

cheers,
-bt

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 bars is what you want. It's by far the most popular handlebar conversion and it's exactly what you're looking for. A bit more forward and sportier. You can do a search on the FZ1 bars on this forum, there are countless of threads you can read up on.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the FZ1 bars. Put mine on about 3 years ago and love them. And they fit your requirements to a tee. They are upright but not too upright, forward but not too forward ☺. Seriously, when I made the change I was looking to go sportier than stock and had the opportunity to see other FZ6s that had the mod.

But an Important note, a high revving bike like ours generates a lot of vibes, and taking then can be a challenge sometimes. I have heard credible arguments that aluminum replacement bars will bring more vibes to your hands, requiring more mods like bar end weights, grips etc to remove them. The FZ1 bars are steel and I find no additional vibes when I changed.

Good luck and tell us how you make out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
fz1 bars are popular. The fz6r bars are another popular option. There are many threads on the forum on those two bars. I have the fz6r bars on mine which I really like. I have the stock handlebar you could have for free if you pay shipping if you want a free option.

burnt_toast

Reaction score
Visit site
fz1 bars are popular. The fz6r bars are another popular option. There are many threads on the forum on those two bars. I have the fz6r bars on mine which I really like. I have the stock handlebar you could have for free if you pay shipping if you want a free option.

Thanks for the responses folks, good point about the vibes between alum vs steel bars, didn't think about that. Kind of picky on looks since I plan to go naked eventually, and as comfortable as the FZ1 bars might be, I really don't care for the drag-bar look. the FZ6R bars look much more up my alley.

tejkowskit,
since stock normal is better than stock bent, i might take you up on this! could be a good option to get me by for now. Can you please quote me the shipping to San Antonio TX 78247

Another question, is there any options for a shorter handlebar post? it looks like on other fz versions they are swappable, but on the 04 fz6 it looks fixed. So entire upper (and lower?) triple tree would need to be replaced :confused: more work than i plan to do now, but just wondering

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
tejkowskit,
since stock normal is better than stock bent, i might take you up on this! could be a good option to get me by for now. Can you please quote me the shipping to San Antonio TX 78247

I'll get back to ya within the next few days (probably this weekend).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+4 on FZ1 bar... PS you need drill and file to install them!
But the end weights screw right in.

And if you have vibes once up and humming, fix the source of the vibes (engine)... Search for Harmonic Vibrations and you'll find info!

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the process of putting a new pair of renthals on my bike. Haven't rode it yet, but they're looking to be an epic improvement over stock. image.jpg

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=27652]gentlemanjim[/MENTION] how does it ride now with these bars? I really like the look of them and think they would look good on black/gold fz6.