Apex Adjustable Clip Ons - Handlebar Installation

steve.getsiv

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my FZ6 last October. Maybe I should have bought a super sport but this is my first street bike and I didn't want something I couldn't handle.

Mods so far: Akrapovic exhaust; front fork springs 90 KG/mm, 15 wt oil, dropped fork tubes 20mm; Competition Werkes foot pegs; Pirelli Angel GT's; new spark plugs, set gaps, and checked plug caps for tightness; heated grips; dual light wiring; Cee Baileys 22" windscreen; and Pazzo adjustable levers.

Initially, I put on a set of drag bars which I thought were much better than stock. Kinda reminded me of my old RM125. Last weekend I did the install of these Apex 3" riser adjustable clip on bars. I kept all the original parts including the stock triple clamp so I can easily switch back to drag bars or stock bars if desired. All 3 sets of bars have brass inserts JB welded for stock bar end weights. And yes, the bar end weights are necessary and make a massive difference in terms of eliminating vibration.

I've got the overall width set at 29.5" not counting the bar end weights. I still need to trim the bars but I'll wait until I have the grips in the perfect position. I'm trying some different options in terms of position, pull-back, angles, etc. I can't find much information other than to set it where it feels most comfortable, keeping my hands and arms loose and relaxed. I do have the levers positioned for minimal movement of my wrists.

I bought a used triple clamp and cut off the bar mounts, sanded down the triple clamp with grits from 150 all the way to 1500 and then polished with Mother's.

Initially I had things set way too wide but once I rotated the lower clamps as far forward as possible and added more pull back it began to feel very natural. The Apex bars themselves are well made and very adjustable.

If anyone else has some experience with clips ons, I would sure appreciate any input. If anyone else is considering this mod, don't hesitate to ask questions...

thumb_IMG_1108_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1104_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1106_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1101_1024.jpg

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I love your bars and top triple clamp! Any issues with hitting the fairing or tank at full lock? Are they adjustable for sweep back? If you don't mind me asking how much were the bars?

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
How would you describe the difference in handling and steering with the tubes raised? What were you looking to gain and what issue did you have with it stock? Do a follow up if you will as it sometimes takes rides in different conditions and styles to make a definite conclusion.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As the forks get shorter or as the stanchion tubes are slid up the triple, it decreases both the steering rake and trail angles. This decreases straight line stability with a trade off of improving the fall in or turn in if you will...

As an owner changes this, they must accept that the bike may be less stable at speed.

Moving them as far as the OP did can be OK but notice OP replaced the stock springs with linear rate springs...

A bike that has less static and less rider sag can have the tubes up the clamps further and be OK while a heavier rider on stock springs could make the bike flat out dangerous to ride if they move the tubes the same amount...

If you experiment, do so in 4 mm increments.

Also changing the rear ride height impacts the fronts rake and trail too. Its why its important to measure bike and rider sag and store the information. Each year you own the bike, measure it. If either numbers increases a lot. You know you need new springs to maintain the relationship and keep the bike handling as it should...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the setup... I'm guessing the big boys have a more technical way of doing this but keeping your wrists neutral (not turned in or out) drop your hands down repeatedly creating a natural resting spot. The problem is as you get more forward your spine comes into to play.
On naked bikes it seems you can be more aggressive, because at speed the air front pushes your core and head back lighting the load on your arms and wrists. A faired bike is less this way. How good is your core and how long do you typically ride?

I'd guess its now just trial and error....

Good luck and that looks great BTW!

steve.getsiv

Reaction score
Visit site
I love your bars and top triple clamp! Any issues with hitting the fairing or tank at full lock? Are they adjustable for sweep back? If you don't mind me asking how much were the bars?

It's right at the edge of hitting the tank and the fairing. The Apex bars are around $240 and they are adjustable in every direction - sweep, height, angle from clamp...

steve.getsiv

Reaction score
Visit site
As for the setup... I'm guessing the big boys have a more technical way of doing this but keeping your wrists neutral (not turned in or out) drop your hands down repeatedly creating a natural resting spot. The problem is as you get more forward your spine comes into to play.
On naked bikes it seems you can be more aggressive, because at speed the air front pushes your core and head back lighting the load on your arms and wrists. A faired bike is less this way. How good is your core and how long do you typically ride?

I'd guess its now just trial and error....

Good luck and that looks great BTW!

Thanks for the comments. Certainly being more forward takes some core strength. I've been racing bicycles for years so my core is strong and don't have any issues with rides in the 3-4 hour range with a break in the middle. Most of my rides are around 2-3 hours. I'll be experimenting more with pullback angle.

Waleedb24

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey nice mods on your bike, I recently got a 2007 fz6 and joined this forum the day after, im hoping to install some clip-ons onto my bike aswell, Is it a hard job and is it pricey?

Waleedb24

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey nice bike, I recently got a 2007 fz6 and am hoping to put clip-ons onto it aswell, How much did this job cost you and was it hard?

steve.getsiv

Reaction score
Visit site
About $320 total. I bought a used triple clamp and cut off the risers - then sanded and polished. Not hard but took a couple hours. The Apex clips on are nice but the 2" riser is a bit short - 3" risers would be perfect and give you more adjustability; that's assuming you mount the clamps below the triple. Stock cables are fine.

Check out Apex 3" Adjustable Riser Clip Ons - Sportbike Track Gear

The rest of my thread above has the details. Good luck.