New bike...lots of shame...and fear

gammapoison

The face destroyer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, New rider here..Well hear is my newb stories..
My Army brother and I just decided to go out and each get bike.
I got a brand new 09' FZ6. My good friend Josh got a GSX650.
I currently only have 42 miles of experience on the bike (or any bike for that matter keep this in mind lol).
So after about 2 weeks of watching how to videos on the internet my bike gets delivered to my apartment .
The first time I get on the bike everything I learned was in motion...So the first thing I do after I get it started and ready to go I put it in 1st and get in motion...
Everything was fine until I went to go into 2nd that's when my mind and everything I learned went right out the window.
I never saw anything on any video about how touchy the throttle was and After redlining it I started to swerve and come to the end of my parking lot and into traffic :(
I saved myself by engaging the clutch (Wile I was still redlining it) and putting the front brake on (really hard) and almost dumped the bike...But the crisis was adverted because I had a kung fu grip on the clutch and let go of the front break almost right away slowly coming to a bouncing stop (front break is touchy too lol).
So at this point my buddy Josh comes up on his bike...stops...puts his stand down... Takes my hand off of the throttle (was still redlining it)and I think he did the emergency shut off switch turned the bike off ....
Well needles to say everything went good after that for the rest of our 2-3hr ride I had lots of fun.
So far I had the bike for 2 months and the only thing that went south for me was the first time riding by myself three days after I got the bike.
I went to a gas station pulled into a spot but cut the bars too hard and at almost 1mph the bike was laid down in slow motion.:(
But ever since then I have had no newb moves...But in all honesty every time I am getting my gear on to go for a ride my heart is racing none stop until I am leaving my parking lot and out of 2nd gear.
If there Is anything I have learned out of this experience it's get a good feel of the bike and all it's workings before you get on it.

Well I hope everyone gives me a warm welcome and some good advise...(currently having trouble stopping and going on hills..and I am not sure if it's a good way of doing it but every time I am at a stop I keep it in first and squeeze the clutch just enough so it's almost engaged so when I go I barely have to let it go with out bogging out the bike..

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, hopefully you don't plow into traffic doing this sort of thing. A course would have been helpful. But I guess saving money is important?

Either way, you're out there now so what's done is done.

Have fun. Never ride above 60-65% of your comfort zone and you will be fine.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I would give this advice to you:

Take the MSF Basic Rider course in your area, ASAP. You'll learn a lot more with hands-on exercises than just watching videos.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Ride safe!

Last edited:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
OK first off :welcome:
secondly you need to find and sign up for the next MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course that you can get into. They will teach you throttle control, breaking techniques, and that thing with first and the clutch lever it is called the friction zone and they will teach you how to use that as well.

This is all coming from somebody who was a new street rider about 5000 miles ago or a year and 1/2 ago, and the FZ6 is my first street bike. However, I did ride quads and dirt bikes growing up.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. It is bold of you to order a 600cc bike and throw a leg without any prior experience. You are extemely lucky nothing worse happened. Please take a motorcycle beginners course. Whatever is available in your area. MSF etc. You will go thru 2 days and leave that course with a huge amount of knowledge and confidence. If you combine good habits with lots of seat time you will become an excellent rider. Good luck. Be safe.

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll re-enforce this, take the msf, it costs a lot less than repairing your body/bike. No excuses, do it.

What do you do in an emergency stop if you rear tire locks up, how about if the front locks up? You don't want to learn those kinds of things with real world experience, you want to learn them in a controlled environment.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do yourself a huge favor and take the MSF course. You may find parts of it a bit boring since you're already out there riding, but in the long run it may save your life. It's FREE in PA... you have no excuse not to take it really!
As for your specific questions: it's ok to let the clutch out to where it's almost engaged if that helps you. You're not hurting anything by using that approach.
Stopping on a hill should not be different from stopping on flat surface, but starting on a steep hill could be tricky until you get good with clutch friction zone. The approach that works for most is to keep the rear brake engaged while you're standing still. When you're ready to move, bring the rpms up and release the clutch enough to get to the friction zone while the rear brake is still applied. You can now get off the rear brake and the bike will move forward. When done right, it should not roll back whatsoever.

oh and :welcome: to the forum.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum. You got a great bike. It was said before, but just in case you didn't get it, TAKE THE M.S.F COURSE.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
+1k on MSF

Now you know why the little 250 is so highly recommended for new riders. Glad you didn't end up a stat, be careful and take your time.

Oh and the nervousness, that's your natural instinct for self preservation saying "dude wtf are you doing? You almost died the 1st time and you want to do this again?!?!?!?"

gammapoison

The face destroyer
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advise and constructive criticism.
Although the is no excuse for me not getting my butt into gear and taking the course..I do have a sorry excuse of a reason as to why I haven't gone out to do it just yet.
My infantry brother Josh just got into a accident with his bike (was cut off wile he had the right of way and had to dump the bike or slam into the car) we had plans to try to take the coarse together.
But after the accident he is waiting to get his bike back from the shop.
After reading some of the other posts of people getting into accidents and also the comments it does make sense to just go do it on my own.
Now the funny thing about how I got the bike..When I went to the dealer the first thing I asked him was I wanted a good beginner bike. He told me that the fz6 was great for just a first time bike.
Then after a few years or so upgrade to a 1000cc. Even all my friends that ride said starting out with a 600 was a good way to go, But in the long run I would be wanting a 1000.
But in my honest opinion I wouldn't have the heart to get rid of the fz6.
Also Been looking at getting my last piece of protective gear which is boots or shoes any suggestions ? ( been looking at the striker shoes ..might be because I was in a infantry striker brigade and still have my military roots)

May 23, I get to register for the course...I think I am going to do the advanced rider course right after the beginner. I just hope I can get a slot

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Although the is no excuse for me not getting my butt into gear and taking the course..I do have a sorry excuse of a reason as to why I haven't gone out to do it just yet.
My infantry brother Josh just got into a accident with his bike (was cut off wile he had the right of way and had to dump the bike or slam into the car) we had plans to try to take the coarse together.
After reading some of the other posts of people getting into accidents and also the comments it does make sense to just go do it on my own.
Now the funny thing about how I got the bike..When I went to the dealer the first thing I asked him was I wanted a good beginner bike. He told me that the fz6 was great for just a first time bike.
Then after a few years or so upgrade to a 1000cc. Even all my friends that ride said starting out with a 600 was a good way to go, But in the long run I would be wanting a 1000.
Also Been looking at getting my last piece of protective gear which is boots or shoes any suggestions ? ( been looking at the striker shoes ..might be because I was in a infantry striker brigade and still have my military roots)

See.. the right of way approach is meaningless on a motorcycle. What difference does it make if you get killed, but it was the car driver's fault? There is a very good chance Josh's crash could have been prevented (yes, I can say that even without knowing any details.. because chances are he was riding with the same mentality as car drivers... THIS DOES NOT WORK ON A MOTORCYCLE!). Please take the course ASAP.. both of you!
Dealers, for most part, are greedy scumbags and they don't give a rats arse about your well being. All they care about is getting as much of your money as possible. FZ6 is an OK bike to learn on, but by no means is it docile.
As for boots.. any motorcycle specific boot will be better than street-wear, but obviously taller = better.. for most protection.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:BLAA:Bwahahahaha! Okay....Not really laughing at you but with you. :rockon: I'm taking you to Vegas with me you Lucky Bastard! :D

:welcome:to the forum! Make sure you gear up and everyone has already given you great advice on training. Be nervous won't help you ride better so if your feeling anxious take a slow deep breath and trade it for being aware and conscious. :rockon:

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site

May 23, I get to register for the course...I think I am going to do the advanced rider course right after the beginner. I just hope I can get a slot

You do not use your own bike during the course. You learn, practice, and test on a little 125cc bike that the MSF provides. There is no reason to wait until his bike is out of the shop to take the course, in fact, wouldn't it be better to use this downtime to take the course rather than take it once the bike is fixed?

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made out ok for your first couple rides, and sorry to hear about your buddy's off. Echoing what everyone else has said, take a motorcycle course, and remember ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time).

:welcome: and enjoy your bike and this awesome community! :D

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said, take the MSF course. I've ridden many bikes over many years and the FZ6 is not a real good starter bike. The size is fine but the power delivery is less than optimum, you have to have a deft touch off throttle to roll on enough rpm's and let out the clutch without bogging it. It sucks from this standpoint which if you compare the FZ6 to an FZ8 or FZ1 you will see a world of difference. I'm not sure what Yamaha had in mind with the original FZ6 but they kinda goofed the engine up, imo. Anyway, take the course and get to know the FZ6, it's a good bike once you get it rolling.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i've redlined mine at standstill a couple of times by accident, usually when trying to move my bike. Luckily I have the good sense to keep the clutch lever pulled in and/or the bike in neutral ;)

Last time was outside a supermarket and I didn't have the baffles in on my new exhaust :eek:

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site

So dont you have to get a separate Motorbike Licence in USA first before getting on a bike? or it simply buy a bike and can ride it long as have car licence? If so thats nuts!