New bike...lots of shame...and fear

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome, and like has been repeated ad museum, take the course dude...
learn some, and you get to dump someone else's bike while doin it

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, put the bike away until you take the MSF course. You're lucky in that you've never been in a problematic situation that wasn't a result of your own doing. A teenager with a cell phone combined with your lack of training could turn deadly very fast.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
So dont you have to get a separate Motorbike Licence in USA first before getting on a bike? or it simply buy a bike and can ride it long as have car licence? If so thats nuts!

No, I think ALL states require a cycle endorsement on your auto license. That said, the difficulty of obtaining the endorsement varies from state to state. In my home state, Michigan, they're pretty tough about licensing - in some of the more rural areas, not so much.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
So dont you have to get a separate Motorbike Licence in USA first before getting on a bike? or it simply buy a bike and can ride it long as have car licence? If so thats nuts!

there are plenty of people that ride with no license at all. again, licensing is different for each state. specifically the learners permit is different from state to state. when i got mine in nc i asked what my restrictions were. i was told that i couldn't carry a passenger and i couldn't go out of the state. other states have restrictions for what roads you can go on and if you can go alone.

to the OP. good for you on being willing to post your mistakes on here and taking the advice so well. i will be like others and say that the MSF classes are great. i went into the class having never ridden a bike (except mine in a circle in my backyard). by the time i left i had done emergency stops, tight u-turns and run over a 2x4. it'll be well worth your time. the advantage of doing this before you get a bike is you get to drop someone else's bike while you're learning.

oh, and there are people who have started on an fz6 (or other 600cc+ bikes). even so, there are some of us on here who don't think it's a wise move. you can brake most speed limit laws in first gear alone. regardless, you have the bike now. take the class, learn some fundamentals, and take it slow.

good luck to you and your buddy. you've pick a great bike. i hope you have many years of enjoyment to come.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site

Because motorcycles really aren't treated like cars here in the states, there aren't any laws against purchasing motorcycles w/o a license. You could trailer the bike off the lot and only use it on the track... or something. Probably a good quarter to half the guys on motorcycles here ride that way here. It's their *** if they get pulled over though. Huge fine to jail time.

And riding without a license in the military is a huge no-no. You could get busted down one or more ranks and get your pay cut in half for a few months. Maybe even restricted to base for awhile. And Uncle Sam usually sticks the rider (or his family) with the medical bills if he was riding without gear and/or a license. Not always, but a good portion of the time.

A guy at my command wrecked and broke his knee. He didn't get busted down, but he did get half pay for three months, and he has to pay the government back for his medical bills. Six months later, he's finally better, but he'll owe money for another 2 years, he won't have a license for another year and a half (motorcycle or auto), he just had to eat the cost of his bike, his insurance doubled on his cars even though he didn't have motorcycle insurance, and he had to have a negative evaluation that will hurt him for another 3 years.

And it wasn't even his fault. He was rear ended at a stop light. Don't ride without a license in the military.

On a side note, he lost his license because he had a DUI 3 years ago and with the "no license" deal that was his two strikes in three years. He would have lost base driving privileges for a year anyway though.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome.....hope you have decent gear, in case you do come off!

Good luck, and happy trails.

:thumbup:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like everyone mentioned it already. Take the MSF course. As for the Advanced Course, I would hold off for a while. After the course, start to focus on transferring the skills you learned to your bike, and keep practicing them. Find an empty stretch of road for emergency braking, swerving, etc. Get comfortable with clutch control with slow speed maneuvers in an empty parking lot. Time in the saddle will start to help you become more comfortable, just don't let your guard down. There are many idiots out there on the road.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit that you're neither the first nor the last to let 'your ambition outweighed your ability' (paraphrased i realise).

We've all made stupid mistakes on bikes, and we'll all make at least one before we stop riding. Having said that, it will be a good reminder to you that there are probably less than a half dozen people on this forum who can ride harder than their FZ6 will let them. That's not to say that it is the be all or end all of motorcycles, just to say that almost all of us could change something about our riding to be the safest, the most competent and the most efficient with our machines.

Remember just how capable and powerful this bike is each time you climb on it, and one thing that i always remember, is that every time i climb on a motorcycle could be the last trip of my life. Realise the danger, and realise that the biggest change in your riding experiences and general safety will be the way that you ride, and how you think about your motorcycle and your environment.

By all means, take the MSF course (i assume it will be similar to aussie safety and licensing courses) but don't then make the assumption that ALL of that knowledge will greatly boost your riding abilities.

Ride within your limits, ride within the limits of the environment, and remember - deciding when to ride hard and when to ride safe could make the difference in whether or not you live through each ride.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
See.. the right of way approach is meaningless on a motorcycle. What difference does it make if you get killed, but it was the car driver's fault? There is a very good chance Josh's crash could have been prevented (yes, I can say that even without knowing any details.. because chances are he was riding with the same mentality as car drivers... THIS DOES NOT WORK ON A MOTORCYCLE!). Please take the course ASAP.. both of you!

Erci, are you sure your not a Rider Coach? Couldn't say it better myself!

To the OP, we provide you with our own motorcycles for you to drop and crash so you can get that out the way rather than sacrifying your own property.

Remember, you don't want to be picking up any bad habits by riding on your own. Once a golfer developes that bad golf swing, it's tough for the professional golfer to change it. Most of riding a motorcycle involves mental skills which involves muscle memory which in turns into your physical skills. You don't think, you just automatically do it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, are you sure your not a Rider Coach? Couldn't say it better myself!

Funny you should say that.. I've been volunteering for MSF for 3 years now and I'm taking Rider Coach Prep course in August (unless of course they cancel it.. and if they do I'll just keep volunteering) :thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Until you know what you're doing and have done the course DO NOT RIDE.

Do the course, get the training, get the gear and respect your machine.

You fall off/crash and you will get hurt.

Hope we all haven't scared you.

Baby steps mate. You'll get there in the end.

Oh, and :welcome: :)

gammapoison

The face destroyer
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again thanks everyone.
Since I live in the city with heavy traffic, and lots of stupid teens that try to do the whole fast and furious thing in their Honda's.
I don't think I will be riding the bike until I take the course.
When I did ride I either went with other people (easier to see a group then just one bike) Or down the street to get a energy drink.
But from what I hear most accidents happen close to home so I am not saying it's a safe zone by any means.
But I am looking forward to taking the course (didn't know I get to use someone's bike)
Can anyone give me a run down on the course and what to expect ?
And after looking at the mods section I am trying to fight the urge to do the duel headlight mod.
You can put a gun in my hands and I can take care of business but you tell me to do a oil change or anything mechanical I am lost :(

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
the class will start with friday being a lot of book/video work. you'll be presented situations and told to think through them. going back to erci's comment about how you can't ride a bike like you drive a car... this will even change the way you drive.

saturday you'll start off on the course. you'll practice finding the friction zone... riding in a circle... and then you'll slowly start building one exercise after another. you'll do tight figure 8 u-turns, learning counter steering, emergency weaving, emergency stopping, etc. after that you'll go back to the classroom, talk about what you learned, and then learn some more.

sunday you'll go back to the course and continue to build your skills and then take a road test. if you pass, you'll go back to the classroom and take your written test.

that's kind of the quick and dirty, but you get the idea.

also, dual headlight mod... do it. just take your time. it's a mod well worth it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sunday you'll go back to the course and continue to build your skills and then take a road test. if you pass, you'll go back to the classroom and take your written test.

I wonder if it varies slightly from state to state. In NJ, written test is taken on Saturday, after range practice.
Skills test on Sunday is the last step.. no class time on Sunday.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
When I did ride I either went with other people (easier to see a group then just one bike)

Actually, riding with a group can be a dangerous exercise as the less experienced riders are pushed to keep up with the more experienced riders. They push beyond their skill level. Personally, I don't like riding in groups, I'd rather go by myself and go at my own pace and stop when I want to.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
also, dual headlight mod... do it. just take your time. it's a mod well worth it.

Yep. tcmalker's is easy. Just swap the pins like he shows you. You'll lose your high beams, but if you only do city riding not a huge deal.

bd34's allows you to keep your high beam, but requires you to lift the tank, remove the airbox and battery, add in a wire, and custom fabricate 2 pins. Not a huge deal really.

Bi-xenon projectors just adds in having to take your headlights apart. It all sounds scarier than it really is.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I wonder if it varies slightly from state to state. In NJ, written test is taken on Saturday, after range practice.
Skills test on Sunday is the last step.. no class time on Sunday.

hmmm. that's interesting. mine could also be different because i took the "riders edge" course through the harley dealership because i could get in in two weeks verses 2.5 months. but i think it's the same material.

gammapoison

The face destroyer
Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest reason why I want to do the mod, Is because there has been times when I am driving my car at night and I only see one headlight coming at me. Thing is, It's close enough to the median line, That if it where a car they would smash into me...
but as it turns out it's just someone on a bike and I am left clenched up expecting a accident.
So my thinking is the 2 headlights might help people who have the same experience as I do identify me on the bike.
Also does anyone have a Yamaha credit card ?
I am still trying to figure out if it just uses the left over from approved amount I got to get the bike (12k to get a bike, and the bike was about 6k, does that leave me about 5k something to use on lets say frame sliders ect..if that makes sense:confused: )

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.

That's really something else.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

That's quite something considering the holier-than-thou posters on here who castigate anyone who DARES to exceed the speed limit or ride like a :squid:

I ride within my limits and don't abuse the bike and I have a great time with it.