New bike: FZ1 or FZ-09

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a 2006 FZ6, and I am planning to keep that. We are building a 2nd place down in the Souther Utah desert, and the FZ6 will stay down there for riding around the parks and canyons.

My wife has given me permission for a second bike. :) The Yammy dealer has a new, 2013 FZ1 marked down for $6500. I might be able to get them down a little on that. Alternatively, I could buy an FZ-09 for list at $8000. I realize they are different bikes and have read all the reviews.

I weight 190#, and I live in SLC (urban) and like to ride the mountains and canyons around here, besides commuting a few miles to work.

The FZ-09 has a great engine, but the suspension worries my (some described it as scary), and I am not anxious to put thousands of $ into upgrading the suspension, etc. It appears that the FZ1 would be a great bike out of the box. I am on the fence here. That FZ1 seems like such a good deal...

RTW

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Walk into the dealer and say "I'm leaving with either this FZ1 or that FZ09, whichever I like better on my test ride" then decide for yourself.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
With the FZ1 being so much cheaper, what is your reason for not getting that one right away? You have negatives for the FZ09, but didn't say any bad things about the FZ1.

The 900 triple is a great motor, but so is the 1000 I4. You will probably have comparable low end torque, and MUCH more high end power with the FZ1.

Get a test ride and see which one you like better. You might end up finding the suspension on the 09 isn't that bad.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden FZ09 several times and own FZ1. Believe it or not, 09 actually has far better low end torque. 1 complains below 3k rpm if you ask for too much.
These bikes are drastically different and it would be wise to figure out which one better suits your needs.
Out of the box, I can be happy with FZ1.. not so with 09. But plenty of folks like it in stock form.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't mind the FZ6 suspension you won't mind the FZ-09 suspension. It appears they are pretty similar. That said $6500 for the FZ1 (which cost at least $8000 last year) is a HECK of a deal! I'd probably go for the FZ1

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
ordinarily i would say the FZ09. but that is a steal on a good bike, the FZ1. although i may find it challenging ergo wise and its porkier, for that price i would make it work

have no experience with either bike but what a GREAT deal on a 1000cc Yamaha "all arounder." brand new with warranty? oh my....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ordinarily i would say the FZ09. but that is a steal on a good bike, the FZ1. although i may find it challenging ergo wise for that price and its porkier, etc, i would make it work

have no experience with either bike but what a GREAT deal on a 1000cc Yamaha "all arounder." brand new with warranty? oh my....

FZ1 ergos are outstanding. Major difference between FZ1 and FZ09 being a very fat tank on 1 vs very skinny tank on 9. seat to peg position is quite similar, as is seat to handlebar distance. Porkier.. yes, significantly so, for FZ1.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I vote for the FZ1, really like the FZ09 but the suspension is not as good. As I recall the FZ1 does have some wind protection.

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the useful input. The dealers around these parts don't seem to allow test drives on new bikes, so a direct comparison is not possible. So I am relying on the collective wisdom of this group!

He sold all three 2013 FZ1s, but now he has a 2014 FZ1 (white) that I am considering.

Thanks again.

RTW

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
09 suspension is not a show stopper. Grab a used shock off fleebay and the back is under control $50. However, some will cry about the throttle snatch. Most get used to it, others fix it.

What I like about the 09 is its lighter up top and you can flick it VERY Easily! So I'd base it on rider style and what do you expect from the bike.... What is your riding area all about, any low speed sharp turns or perhaps lots of open straight highway?

Also has insurance rates caught up to the 09 yet? From its light weight and ease to wheelie there could be lots of accidents!!! Some wheel and deal trading often, some keep things for the long haul. Which are you?