New Bike Fever: The fever breaks

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
With all the upgrading and talk of upgrading going on around here, I finally got serious about investigating a new bike. The most likely upgrade for me would be a VFR mostly becasue it fits me better than the FZ1. Actually, my FZ6 with its customized-for-my-butt seat fits me better than the FZ1. So I check Craigslist and lo and behold, there's an '02 with only 6k miles on it not 10 miles from my house. Asking price: $4900. I've read there are some issues with '02s, but setting those aside, I thought I could probably get around $4k (maybe a bit more) for my '07 with 9k miles and about $1,000 in mods. For a grand out of pocket, it could be mine!

Then I thought: Plus tax and registration - another $500. Plus more insurance. Plus more expensive gas and less gas mileage. Plus more maintenance (the valves are pretty pricey from what I've read). Plus whatever mods I end up doing to the VFR. All to get a bike 5 years older than mine, which I will ride only about 4,000 miles a year. Not to mention mine was bought new and dealer maintained. No mechanical issues at all. Fits like a glove. Cheap to own and run. I have yet to max out performance and probably never will. At that point, I'm upgrading just to upgrade. It makes no logical sense at all.

Part of the "problem" with the FZ6 is that it is so dang good for the money, it makes it hard to spend what amounts to a lot more for something a little better. I follow what I call the 90/70 principal and it applies to most everything. Cars, stereos, TVs, cell phones....even motorcycles. It means that you can get 90% of the quality for about 70% of the cost if you really shop around. Sure "the best" (100%) is out there, but you can get real close (90%) for only about 70% of the price. I'm all about that.

As for my FZ6, it ain't broke, so I'm not going to fix it. (I may, however, throw some scorps on some time this year;))

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get it off my chest. :thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
So because some ppl bought another bike you decided you wanted another bike too, but then you realized that your current bike is perfect, so you're going to keep it.

Alright! Good for you man! :D

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
As for my FZ6, it ain't broke, so I'm not going to fix it. (I may, however, throw some scorps on some time this year;))

Well said Alan, rep coming your way. Sure there's more power and speed and cool race replica plastics out there, but I still have a blast out there on my Fizzer and until I no longer feel that rush I see no reason to move on. It is cool to see all the new bikes on the forum, keeps it interesting.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
My original plan was to get a VFR as my first bike. But after some serious thought about having 780cc's as a 1st bike and had another look at my finances, I decided that the FZ6 would be better suited to start with.

I still love the VFR and is now my plan to one day get one as I seem to be doing and enjoying the sport touring aspect more and more. Either that or an FJR. I don't want to give up my FZ6 either and idealy I would have both sitting in my garage one day.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides...the 07 FZ6 is so darn good looking...I love the profile of the 07 you have showing in your avitar...looks MEAN!:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kudos to you for being rational and resisting the urge! I'm far too impulsive when I see a new shiny object. :D

:thumbup:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The VFR is a sweet bike (especially the SOUND of the earlier 'generation' versions...2000 in Yellow is one of my favorite looking/sounding bikes of all time). I almost bought one before I got my FZ6. I've met two guys who've owned/ own both a VFR and an FZ6 and they claim there isn't a huge difference in performance between the two. I'm not sure I believe that though.

I've found myself lusting for a second bike lately just to give me something to tinker with in the garage. No way I'm getting rid of my FZ6 though, so my budget is small. I'm thinking of getting either a small dual-sport (Suzuki DR350S / DRZ400) or a small 'vintage' bike (Honda CL350 from 1968/1969 - I love that scrambler look).

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there's a noticeable difference between the fz and the vfr (I owned a '99). The vfr feels a bit big-ish, almost, though not quite, ponderous. It's a relatively heavy bike. The fz, in comparison, feels nice and light and flick-able.

And there's really not much of a comparison when it comes to the engine. It's not so much the amount of power as it is the "grunt factor." The vfr has that awesome v4 and just has a really nice amount of low end power on tap. As a kid I had a love/lust relationship with Chevy muscle cars (owned a '67 chevelle ss with a 396...) and the mill in the vfr with its gear-driven cams just brings on the warm fuzzys...

As for the OP, I agree. There's a whole bunch of folks gettin' spring fever and making the leap to liter bikes. I think it's great for them, but I'm ok with what I have. If I get a second bike it'll probably be a Honda RC51.