New 08 FZ6 Owner

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone

Just picked up my new toy yesterday, Black 08 FZ6, $7100 OTD. I have been looking for a bike for a while, rode about 300 miles on various friends bikes last summer and decided it was time for me to get one myself. I found the FZ6 completely by accident. I wanted something sporty yet comfortable and after running across the FZ6 on Yamaha's website, I found this forum and started reading. Everything I read about the FZ6 made it sound like the perfect bike for what I was looking for. I had no reserves about Yamaha's as well. I've been riding Yamaha snowmobiles since 2000, currently have an 07 Attak GT, so I know Yamaha's craftsmanship, performance, and fit-n-finish is next to none and their high performance 4-strokes are simply amazing :rockon: (the Attak has essentially the R1 motor in it FWIW)

Saturday I went to the local Yamaha dealer and got approved for factory financing but of course they won't let you ride one without a Class M. So yesterday morning I went to the DMV, got my Class M learners permit (i've ridden enough before to be more than confident riding a new bike, just never got my license), went back to the dealer, rode a used 07 they had available and fell in love with it before I had the clutch out for the first time. I picked up my new 08 later in the afternoon (after they put it together :D)

The weather sucked unfortunately, low 40s with very gusty winds. I had to wear my snowmobiling gear to pick the bike up, which coincidently matches the bike and sled perfectly :thumbup:
2007_Yamaha_Apex_GT.jpg

08FZ6_blk_3_9046858f.jpg

I only got about 20 miles on it before I had to come back to reality and head back up to school. Hopefully the weather will be nicer in the next few weeks so I can get it broken in.

-Brad

J

jsteinb95

Welcome to the family & congrats on the nice lookin bike. :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike, are you taking a course or going to use your permit to practice and take a riding test.

Welcome to the site,

Ride lots and post often!

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike, are you taking a course or going to use your permit to practice and take a riding test.

Welcome to the site,

Ride lots and post often!
Thanks all.

I will just use my permit for a little while to get some riding in but I will be taking a course this summer, since it's my first bike and I'll get an insurance discount for it.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to FZ6-Forum! Congrats on the new bike!

Now is where your wallet starts to take a toll. Let the modding begin!

JeffrosFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How was that ride from the dealership? Little nervous or what??? My ride from the dealership to home was 45 miles at 5:00 pm traffic (new rider, new bike, sweating my ass off):eek:

But I made it and have loved it every since :rockon:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
How was that ride from the dealership? Little nervous or what??? My ride from the dealership to home was 45 miles at 5:00 pm traffic (new rider, new bike, sweating my ass off):eek:

But I made it and have loved it every since :rockon:

Well I rode the used one for about 2 miles around side streets near the dealer earlier in the day so I was somewhat familiar with the bike, which was a plus. I had a buddy with me too who's been riding since before I was born, following me on his Shadow and his wife was driving my Durango behind us so I had a nice buffer zone :). It was around rush hour but I took some of the less busy roads to get home. There was about a 25-35 MPH wind from the west though and one road, the busiest I was on, goes due west at 50MPH so that was a bit of a bear. I also wasn't used to riding with so much gear on, especially heavy gloves and a full face helmet. Once it gets warm out, i think i'll go back to goggles or glasses with my military style open helmet, much better visibility, plus I want to hear my bike :D. I got home in one piece though and we rode around a bit more after that. My mind was definitely going 100MPH the whole time though, the first ride is an experience to say the least.

I live south of Green Bay, WI and go to school at Michigan Tech in Houghton, MI. I actually skipped my Monday classes to get the bike, and drove back to school late last night. I was planning on going home this weekend to do some riding but they're calling for Rain/Snow and wind all next weekend :( Needless to say, i'm pissed!

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Welcome to the site. Glad your here. The black ones sure look nice.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to FZ6-Forum! Congrats on the new bike!

Now is where your wallet starts to take a toll. Let the modding begin!

Yeah i know the feeling, been doing the same with my truck........
Since it's my first bike, i'll be adding frame sliders for sure, but as has been said around here a lot, hopefully never need them. Also going to have to do something with the headlights once I start riding at night. WTF was Yamaha thinking?!?!?! Why couldn't they have just put dual H4s on both sides so you have two lows and two highs?!?! It's the exact way they've been doing their snowmobiles for years............

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't agree more! I'm picking up my new '08 Saturday. I had an '05 and sold it to a member here. I've already made the wire loom for the dual headlight mod so that is waiting.

Racetech springs are also waiting along with a tank camera mount, frame sliders and the FAZR6 F.E. Kit. :D It's an addiction!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Brad81987, how about the new factory smell. Isn't it nice? Congrats and may nice weather set in soon for you.

Last edited:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't agree more! I'm picking up my new '08 Saturday. I had an '05 and sold it to a member here. I've already made the wire loom for the dual headlight mod so that is waiting.

Racetech springs are also waiting along with a tank camera mount, frame sliders and the FAZR6 F.E. Kit. :D It's an addiction!
I probably won't be doing anything performance or handling related for quite a while, the thing already goes enough as it is for me. I've seens some of the tank mounted videos, very cool, might have to invest in one of those once my riding is worth of taping :)

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know if this tank mount is any good?
eBay Motors: Tank Camera GPS Radar Mount Yamaha Fazer FZ6 FZ1 FZ 1 6 (item 220221933533 end time Apr-15-08 05:11:56 PDT)
Looks like it works pretty good based on the video on the page with an FZ1 and the price is right.....

That is exactly the one I bought. I can tell you it is extremely well built, durable, and very universal. The greatest thing is there is zero dive-boarding with this mount and vibration doesn't seem to have any effect on the mounted camera. Simple to mount and he includes the longer bolts. Well worth the price! :rockon: