Nervous

jwhelan

Reaction score
Visit site
Today is the first time I had to take my 05 to the stealership. I normally do all my work, but I recently found out that my bike was affected by the TPS recall, so off it went to get fixed.

I have not noticed any of the symptoms of the recall, but thought it would be safe to get it done anyway. I am very nervous that the stealership will somehow make my bike worse than when I dropped it off :(

Is the TPS recall a simple procedure? Is this something I should be worried about?

W

wrightme43

Never heard anyone complain after getting thiers back for it.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '04 & I never felt a problem w/it either, but Defy PM'd me & told me what effects it could possibly have if I didn't get it done. So w/some trpidation I felt the same way as you, but to my amazement it was painless & they were pretty nice about it. Didn't cost a thing & it really ran better (a bit more responsive) after it was done!:Flash:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm like you: I don't like the idea of my machine being worked on by somebody else. Even when I (ME) work on sometimes I might overlook something so I'm not comfortable with some stranger paid by the hour. I remember once, after a long and frustrating period of my cage (Ford Pinto) suspension not acting "right" and I brought it into a tire/suspension shop. It was a total waste of time and money. A mechanic test drove it and reported that he didn't sense anything wrong (and of course, didn't find any mechanical problem). Months later, while inspecting the suspension, I discovered a suspension component that had a very loose bolt/nut. It was the control arm or something. I tighteded it up and then, only THEN was the problem FIXED! But, if you have the recall...what you gonna do? You don't have an option.

D

D-Rock

Today is the first time I had to take my 05 to the stealership. I normally do all my work, but I recently found out that my bike was affected by the TPS recall, so off it went to get fixed.

I have not noticed any of the symptoms of the recall, but thought it would be safe to get it done anyway. I am very nervous that the stealership will somehow make my bike worse than when I dropped it off :(

Is the TPS recall a simple procedure? Is this something I should be worried about?

This thread reminded me to call in the schdule an apt for the work on my 05 also. I have not replaced my TPS. They told me that a washer needs to be replaced on the front sprocket also. 2 recalls I guess... better get it fixed.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah...I was hesitant too...just check your bike over from end to end before leaving....this was the ONE time a dealership touched my bike and they gave it back to me with a blown fuse (no headlights!) and a overtight chain. Needless to say, I made them correct both issues before leaving their property. I had them replace the locknut washer at the same time (also free).

D

D-Rock

this is the first ive heard of this recall, does anyone have any info on it? years and models effected?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

Recalls - Search Results
Navigate: ODI Home » Recalls » Search » Results List

Search Results
Report Date : September 22, 2008 at 05:46 PM
Search Type : VEHICLE
Year : 2005
Make : YAMAHA
Model : FZS600

Results : 1 | All records displayed
Make : YAMAHA Model : FZS600 Year : 2005
Manufacturer : YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date : SEP 27, 2006
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V371000 PE06020
NHTSA Action Number: PE06020
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 39757

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
this is the first ive heard of this recall, does anyone have any info on it? years and models effected?

A far as I kinow it's the '04-'06 models. You just call up a dealer's maint. dept., give them your VIN# & let them look it up to see if yours needs to be done. Easy! Do it! :rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't think I had any issues with my '05, but what a HUGE difference after I got it back. What seems normal to you will soon make you wonder why it took this long to have it done.

Now, some mechanics screw it up, but those are far and few... It isn't a simple procedure and take a few hours to do correctly. Replacing it is easy, it's the tuning, adjustments, synching, etc... that take all the time. The guy who did mine absolutely NAILED it. :D Of course, I sold it and bough the '08... ;)