*Negative* effect of switching to a taller screen.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's that time of the year in NJ when early morning temps start to get close to freezing point. I slapped my touring screen on before this morning's commute.

What I tend to forget every year when I switch to a taller/wider screen is that I tend to know how fast I'm going based on the amount of buffeting and wind resistance I feel on my head and core. I rarely need to glance at the speedo to confirm I'm traveling at a reasonable speed.

Taller/wider screen greatly reduces the wind, especially if I tuck down a bit and suddenly I start thinking "why the heck is everyone driving so slowly?", until I look down at the speedo :rolleyes:

This is another one of those common sense things, but I thought it was worth sharing.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It shouldn't be "that time of year" yet! It's not even techically fall yet! It was 41F when I got up this morning in Central VA! What they heck. I left the bike at home this morning. I'll ride back to work on it after lunch. When I have a car that gets 38 mpg I don't see the reason to commute on the bike when the temp is below 50F. It's just not enjoyable for me below 50F because I have to put on all the heavy gear and can't really enjoy the twisties.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, all valid points. However, I prefer to freeze my arse off on my bike than be comfortable in my car. :don'tknow:

40 here this morning. So far I've only added 1 layer (expedition weight top) and a neck gaiter. Taller/wider screen makes a huge difference when it comes to staying warm.

Oh.. my car gets about 28mpg. Bike gets about 38mpg in *commute* mode. Gives me more motivation to take the bike over car, nearly every time.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
It's that time of the year in NJ when early morning temps start to get close to freezing point. I slapped my touring screen on before this morning's commute.

What I tend to forget every year when I switch to a taller/wider screen is that I tend to know how fast I'm going based on the amount of buffeting and wind resistance I feel on my head and core. I rarely need to glance at the speedo to confirm I'm traveling at a reasonable speed.

Taller/wider screen greatly reduces the wind, especially if I tuck down a bit and suddenly I start thinking "why the heck is everyone driving so slowly?", until I look down at the speedo :rolleyes:

This is another one of those common sense things, but I thought it was worth sharing.

i actually notice more buffeting from my touring screen. well the buffeting gets louder, but it does block the wind considerably more. i only notice this stuff at highway speeds however. but the stock screen looks weird to me now, like the OE touring screen should have come standard.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
It shouldn't be "that time of year" yet! It's not even techically fall yet! It was 41F when I got up this morning in Central VA! What they heck. I left the bike at home this morning. I'll ride back to work on it after lunch. When I have a car that gets 38 mpg I don't see the reason to commute on the bike when the temp is below 50F. It's just not enjoyable for me below 50F because I have to put on all the heavy gear and can't really enjoy the twisties.

I had that initial cold shock riding in yesterday morning in DE. Saw low 40s this AM and said F it... taking the car.

I will continue to ride down to freezing like I did last year but I'm not in that mindset yet. Need to get ready to mount the mitts, find my balaclava, etc. Once I'm used to it, 40F won't bother me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He has an FZ1. :D

Check out the Cee Bailey windshield. I love mine- http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...6-winter-mode-fz6-first-2013-season-ride.html

Yup, it's on a FZ1 (Zero Gravity)

myfz1bw.jpg

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why is it so fun to stare at motorcycles?

I have the same problem you mention when I switch from riding the fz6 to riding a car. I lose all the sense of speed I have on the bike - for example, the vibration in the handle bars, the sound of my bike vibrating apart, the non-negligible wind buffeting, the roar of the wind, the whine of my tires...

In the car all I hear is my music.

kevlarorc

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I've noticed since switching from my Ninja 250 to my FZ6 with Puig Racing screen is that I get a lot more stuff stuck in my eye. All I can guess is that dirt and stuff is getting pushed right up in to my face whereas before it would hit more near my chest.

Also, I know how you feel about the speed. I find myself at 85 mph when on the 250r the same amount of wind hitting me would mean I was going about 55 mph.