New Owner Questions

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all. I'm sure if you're looking at this thread you've seen my "soon to be new owner" thread. Well now that I have the bike I have a different set of questions!

I've only just become acquainted with the buffeting issue of having a wind screen. I have no interest in tearing the fairing off my FZ6 so I'm left with playing with the wind screen. I've read through the windscreen poll thread and I'm seeing people report good results of lower wind screens that put your head up in clean air and also with taller/steeper wind screens that push the high pressure air up over your head. If clean air is fine with me, but I prefer to go which ever route will cut down on buffeting on the helmet the most, which should I look to first? I have little interest in a particularly large wind screen. the Puig racing looks fine to me but is that better than cutting the stock wind screen down?

I have a power commander III that has not had a custom tune. I do not have any cable or anything for it. 1. is it okay to just unplug it if i want to run the original configuration? I can't see where that would hurt anything but I'm not sure. 2. Which cable do i need to hook it up to my computer? would i have to unplug the power commander from the motorcycle and plug the cable from that into the cable that goes into the computer? If I could find a customized map that someone has posted that is better than the one that the power commander site provides for a stock bike then i could just go with that.

Will this bike pick the front wheel up just from goosing the throttle in first gear without clutching any? I ask not because i'm interested in doing wheelies but because i'm interested in avoiding them. I'm on the heavy side, ~230 if that affects the matter.

thanks in advance all.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll address the engine issues...
I don't have DJ hardware but have you looked at the USB port? Its very likely a standard cable like that used on phones and other peripheral devices. i.e. USB mini B OR USB micro B, Bazzaz uses the Mini B

One option is to simply run the Zero map and connect the O2 sensor and see what you think. Take a look here and follow the link to the DJ site. There is PDF showing the mini B connector too.... Note - software is there too. IIRC the early PCIII needs a 9v battery power it for playing away from the bike while the PCV is powered by the USB port. Just switch the bike on for power if you don't have the 9V adapter. For extended times disconnect the fuel pump.

POST your Tune Map, Bazzaz, PCIII, PCV - AutoTune, Z-AFM

Bike in stock form is not noted for throwing folks on their back. But if you time it proper it comes up in 1st. With mods it comes up in 2nd!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll throw my two cents in on the windscreen question. I've used the stock and Puig touring screens before settling on the MRA touring screen. I like the MRA because I feel it's the best of both worlds due to it having the adjustable deflector blade. With it down it acts like the stock but with a cleaner flow. With it up it acts like a taller screen. For me, it was the best compromise between the two.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the PUIG and while not the best looking windscreen out there, it does a great job of deflecting the wind so my head doesn't get buffeted all around.

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey could you guys post a pic of the 2 windscreens you mentioned on your bikes? I'm interested in this thread Q as well - wanna get something to replace my stock one as it's pitted a bit and starting to get that 'glaze' to it.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have any real good pics, but here is one.
56305d1426963754-new-owner-questions-image-jpg

5'10" 32" inseam... Flush with mirrors is good >70mph
IMG_20140323_133918_300WEB_zpsb8ad9179.jpg~original

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
i finally got some real riding in today. very fun. Granted there have been several cold starts, quite a bit of flogging and idling on this tank, i got 36 MPG... not going to work lol. 50-60 MPG is essential for me because i like to put on a lot of miles and 36 mpg adds up! so the power commander is coming off. hopefully it will be better after that.

valve adjustment interval is 24k right? so if mine hasn't been done at 17k it should be just fine right?

i'm extremely impressed with how easy the bike is to direct. i guess that's what they call "nimble"! my last bike was a '92 honda nighthawk 750. the nighthawk was very user friendly; just easy to ride. i thought the fz6 was very tricky and particular at first but now that i'm used to it it's just fantastic. the clutch is a little stiffer than what is ideal but i'm getting used to that too.

i can tell i'm definitely going to need to do something to stiffen up the front end. i do not like when the forks get fully compressed when i brake hard.

how loose are the rear sets supposed to be? mine have a lot of play, presumably to reduce vibrations but it seems excessive.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lube the clutch cable every 2500 miles or so w/engine oil.

Not to prevent you from getting rid of it, but there are maps for both worlds. i.e. reduce stumble when opening it back up and get ~ 45mpg... To access the port - remove the protective rubber to the right of the big white plug. :p

Look

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I've just become acquainted with button adjust mode. Does having it "zero'd" for a specific rev range mean that it is zero'd to the map that is loaded or to the stock map without being modified.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I commented on this topic, but I think I might have posted in another and lost it...

To reiterate a post I've made before, you can send maps to the power commander with the bike ON. This means all you need is the USB cable and a laptop to take into the garage. The 10 pin connector you showed before is only used to power the device when it's not getting power from the bike. The cable should be a USB "mini B" connector and are pretty easy to find. Just plug her in, open your power commander software and use the open, get, and send map options in the software. I loaded a new map on my bike just this morning.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what the "Get Map" button will do. You can pull the current map and see how it was set, then save it if you decide to change it. The software is actually pretty nice.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh very good. I just went through the process and figured all that out. The map that was loaded was the same one still available if you put 2007 FZ6 into the power commander site, which is for a 2004. If I am correct that the stock mapping was changed for the 2007 model from the 2006, then I would think that the map they are providing is pretty far from being a good one for my 2007 if the power commander is just modifying the stock map by set percentages. I found a very mild custom map for a 2007 and put that on there for now. I went through and knocked down the leaner blocks just for safety since it is after all not a custom tune for my bike. I'll see how that does and if it makes me nervous I will just go with a zero map for now.

Thanks all for the help in getting acquainted with the new bike. I am one to do a lot of searching to find what I need but when I got this I was getting hit with a lot all at once so some help from you all has been fantastic!

Pvt. Donut

Reaction score
Visit site
I think, since they are rubber cushioned, they will have a little play. This is for comfort and to reduce vibration.