Summer mode (no screen vs tall screen)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK.. so the bike is FZ1, but it applies to all.

1st commute this season with my super low screen. Man.. I love how the bike can feel so different with such a minor change. It surprises me every year.

1: it feels like there's nothing in front of you.. more like just flying than riding a bike.

2: it's SO much quieter with no screen vs tall screen (this part I remember.. as I converted my FZ6 to naked after removing the screen and deciding I liked it so much better that way).

3: there is so little weight on your hands/wrists at speed, as the air holds you up.. yet the air is clean and steady, not turbulent.

4: A whole lot more stuff gets to your body/helmet/face. I got something in my eye on the way in.. this hasn't happened once with tall screen (kind of obvious). Smart thing to do would be to wear motorcycle specific glasses under full face helmet or at least a chin skirt. (I prefer neither though)

5: Great way to keep yourself from going too fast!! Quite a bit of wind resistance pushing the body back at over 70.. and it goes up exponentially with speed.
With the tall screen, and especially if I tuck a bit, I feel nothing, no matter what the speed .. not that I ever go fast or over limit Blah

attachment.php

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bugs getting splattered against my gear and helmet would drive me nuts! But it may not be as bad there versus other regions.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So your point here is to eat bugs in an effort to shed some heat from passing air? :confused::confused:

Seems like a good plan, but I would opt for some form of eye protection as its life altering to loose one's vision over a few seconds of having the shade up.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
The bugs getting splattered against my gear and helmet would drive me nuts! But it may not be as bad there versus other regions.

I love naked - for all of Eric's reasons!

The bugs aren't that bad, every once in a while you catch a cicada or junebug on the adams apple, but hey - if you have a clean visor people will think that your bike just lives in the garage year round and never gets ridden.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I enjoy riding naked much more than with the FZ6R and Puig Touring screen. Air is so much smoother. I put a little Puig screen on the FZ09 (FZ1N Screen actually) and it's just enough to relief some air off my chess. Love it!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So your point here is to eat bugs in an effort to shed some heat from passing air? :confused::confused:

Seems like a good plan, but I would opt for some form of eye protection as its life altering to loose one's vision over a few seconds of having the shade up.

I think you misunderstood me, Randy. I wear a full-face helmet and my shield is always down. I suggested motorcycle specific glasses and/or helmet skirt in addition to full-face with visor down.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you misunderstood me, Randy. I wear a full-face helmet and my shield is always down. I suggested motorcycle specific glasses and/or helmet skirt in addition to full-face with visor down.

haha! No! I know you wear full face and visor! Poor choice of wording on my part.

Was asking if the short screen is for more cooling to you the rider for summer heat. My point was that our visor only need to be up a few seconds and we can be struck by road debris. :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha! No! I know you wear full face and visor! Poor choice of wording on my part.

Was asking if the short screen is for more cooling to you the rider for summer heat. My point was that our visor only need to be up a few seconds and we can be struck by road debris. :(

Gotcha.. yup, the short screen if primarily for the cooling effect.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
3: there is so little weight on your hands/wrists at speed, as the air holds you up..

Maybe you need to do more ab workouts so you don't have to rely on the air to hold you up Blah

Also, rain might might hit you more with the lower screen?

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you need to do more ab workouts so you don't have to rely on the air to hold you up Blah

Also, rain might might hit you more with the lower screen?
I'm not joking. None of my dress up shirt fit me anymore. My neck got 1/2" bigger since I ride the 09, that was when I check in January.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk