Need some opinions on my touring product wish list.

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
First off I did allot of research before I got my 2004 FZ6 last year and as my first bike I have been very impressed allot of fun. It does however need some mods.

I do a fair amount of long single day rides 6-13hrs and here are a few of my complaints and I am in need of opinions I did allot of searching on the site and came up with a list of products that I like. Any options and or pros and cons of products let me know all options welcome.

1. Windshield I am 6’ 2’’ so I get allot of wind buffering to my neck and helmet area so I am looking for a windshield that will not only look ok but also get the wind over my helmet and easy to install for the most part with no gain in wind noise if this is possible.

So should I go with the Puig touring windshield or a Cee Bailey’s windshield and go clear or a smoke color???

2. A few rides are long stretches of straight roads so what is the better brand for a throttle lock

Cramp Buster or Vista Cruise???

3. I want a soft bag system that I can use that is also easy to pull off for during the week when I do allot of in town and short trips is the Cortech Tri-Bag system a good choice or is there others I should take a look at??

4. Seat looking for a better seat is a Corbin or Top Sadderlery

5. Have searched allot and have not found allot of info I have very long legs and the pegs on this bike kill me so I do have sliders and these help as I am able to put my feet on them from time to time but is there a peg system that is easy to mount up that would allow me to stretch out for a short bit of time when needed?? I know the Fz6 was not made for this but anything would help me out allot.

6. Any grips that help with the vib?? Is a riser a must have??

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
3. Cortech is good. So is Nelson Rigg. I posted a deal on Nelson Rigg saddlebags a while back. They were like $60 on newenough.com. Not including tailbag, though. Lots of reviews on this site for luggage. So check it out!

4. Look into Airhawk. It's not a seat --it's a cushion.
Five Motorcycle Seat Comfort Pads Compared - Accessories & Gear Review - Motorcycle Cruiser

6. Grip Puppies help.
http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/hand_cont_$50/GPSMALL.html
If you get a Cramp Buster of Throttle Rocker, make sure they work over the Grip Puppies. The ones with the straps are supposed to work. And get a CB/TR for both Left and Right grips.

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
1. Cee Bailey’s windshield with a flip and in smoke color. Touring just moves the wind blast a bit higher, but makes it harder. Cee Baily flip will make most of the wind go over your head. I have the MRA flip, but wish I could afford and get hold of in the UK a Cee Bailey.

2. Buy a Cramp Buster for everyday riding (I can't do without mine now) AND a Vista Cruise when you want to just leave the throttle at a constant amount and exercise your hand etc.

3. You may want to knock up or buy a soft-pannier rack to keep the side panniers off the exhaust. Any of the sets you can buy will fit. Searching on here will show some of the home solutions. You can see pics of my givi soft pannier racks in my website link below.

4. I'd also recommend the air-hawk as it's cheap and can be removed when you want. I also added gel to my seat (after shaving it a bit for my short legs) and it's much more comfy than stock.

5. If you get engine bars (there are a couple of makes - search on here) you can install highway pegs to it. Search for highway pegs on here. I'd like some, but have the lower fairing and it gets in the way and would look rubbish!

6. double/triple density pro-grip gel grips are amazing. Grip puppies on top of that would help. Buying a bar snake or filling your bars with sand will also reduce the vibes. If you're rolling in money, there are some really nice bars by roxspeedfx, which are rubber mounted and also allow loads of adjustment.

Enjoy.

PhysicsGeek

Reaction score
Visit site
1. I went with the stock touring windshield

4. Someday when I get off this island I may invest in a seat. There is only so far you can go on an island.

5. I have some lowering pegs in prototype phase for the same reason as you (6'4") and commute everyday with the bike. Stay tuned for more...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the Vista cruise because they are easy to fit and operate. I think I have lost 3 cramp busters off the bike.

The best screen I had on my 06 was the original screen cut down. The idea is to have a lower screen rather than a higher screen. Ask the naked guys, they do not have any of the buffeting problem. It makes no difference if it is clear or smoked because you will hardlings ever look through it.

They say Corbin seats are very slippery. Save yourself a packet and ask eithr your local upholsterer or saddlemaker to have a look at your seat.

If your partner rides with you get some passenger extention pegs and fit an cigarette lighter for GPS power.

Steve

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They never seemed to fit very tight. I tried double sided tape but they still seem to slide of the end of the bar. I moved to Vista Cruise control and really liked it.

Steve

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a Vista Cruise on the way and ended up going with a DB Racing screen as the touring was out of stock every place I called said it would be a month to 2 month wait.

So that leaves Pegs and Air Hawk and Cargo bags left.

Thanks for the help still trying to figure out the best way to get a clean looking forward peg system this may be something custom I end up building.

zixxerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Windsheild - I cut 3" off the height of mind and buffeting was greatly reduced. Seems the wind hits your chest instead of your lid and it's much quieter. Almost as quiet as when I stand up on the pegs and my head in a "clean' air stream.

Highways pegs - I also put long days on the bike and wanted a rest for my legs. I'm currently looking for frame sliders to do just that. Which ones do you have currently?

Seat - yeah it's a brick. so far I'm getting by with sheepskin and Anti Monkey Butt powder (yes that's the real name). Nothing sexes up an FZ like dirty sheepskin. But I'm wondering about the beaded pads cabbies use. Thane Siliker whoes done 3 Iron Butts has the beads on his ST100.