Need some help deciding what kind of bike to get!!!

Drummerman21

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so I have finally made the decision to get a bike. I've wanted one my entire life and now (with the price of gas) it has finally become cost effective.

So the question is what is a good bike for me.
Facts:
1) I have never ridden before but I will take a riders course before making my purchase.

2) Most of my riding will be between 30 minutes and an hour, at freeway speeds.

3) I know I want a sport bike rather than a cruiser.

4) I don't like the appearance of the "naked" (FZ6) style of bike NEARLY as much as the supersport style (R6S).

5) I am willing to make my first purchase an FZ6 IF the general consensus of powers that be (experienced riders) is that my first purchase SHOULD be an FZ6.

......so I would like an R6S. Not because of the power but because of the looks. If there are plastic mods for the FZ6 that make it look more like an R6 then that will definitely be my choice. If not, my choice will depend on gas mileage difference, insurance cost difference, how difficult the R6 will be to ride compared to the FZ6 (keeping in mind that I've never ridden in the "hunched" position before,) and finally depending on the REAL difference of how a long distance ride feels when the two bikes are compared for a short guy such as myself. BTW I'm 5'8".

Last edited:
After doing some pretty quick looking around on this site I have decided that the FZ6 is a VERY sexy machine with the belly pan. I still like the R6S more but it will now be that much easier to talk me on to an FZ6.

Drummerman21 an R6 is NOT what you need in my opinion according to your level of riding experience.

I would think the Susuki GS500F and Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 500R would be good new rider choices. This according to the list you provided. The FZ6 is in my opinion is a mid level bike, a excellent choice for those with some riding experience.

I can only imagine what hornets nest this thread could open.

As a rider I would put my street experience at novice...but I have a ton of dirt experience. Not everything translates over to the road...so I would suggest riding a bike around (whatever you can get your hands on) for about an hour just to get your comfort level. If you cannot completely relax and are feeling somewhat out of place then your experience may not warrant an FZ-6. There's just a bit too much jumpiness in this bike. A friend of mine just bought an SV-650 and I have never been on a bike that is easier to ride...it is literally effortless.

P.S. The SV still looks pretty sexy too if you ask me.

As a rider I would put my street experience at novice...but I have a ton of dirt experience. Not everything translates over to the road...so I would suggest riding a bike around (whatever you can get your hands on) for about an hour just to get your comfort level. If you cannot completely relax and are feeling somewhat out of place then your experience may not warrant an FZ-6. There's just a bit too much jumpiness in this bike. A friend of mine just bought an SV-650 and I have never been on a bike that is easier to ride...it is literally effortless.

P.S. The SV still looks pretty sexy too if you ask me.

I have looked into the SV and decided to go with the FZ because I was told that even though it's rated at 600 it's actually a 599 which puts it in a lower insurance class than the SV.

Please expand on what you said about the FZ being jumpy.....off the line? even with very little throttle? all of the above?

P.S. Thank you mglowe. Honestly I already knew that I'm just stubborn and needed someone to tell me.

Hello Mate. This is my first big bike (FZ6 Fazer S2) and still not 100% sure it was the right choice. It's a dream of a bike but a hell of a lot of bike for a complete novice. I did my CBT and rode a 125cc ybr for over a year all year almost to make my mistakes on that rather than the fz6 and trust me you will make mistakes. The clutch is snatchy and the brakes are very strong and there is ALOT of torque high up in the revs. You can easily find yourself doing stupid things! I agree with all the previous comments. Perhaps a Susuki GS500F or Kawasaki Ninja 250R is a better choice. Even better have a 125cc for 3-6 month and learn. Good luck with your choice.

I would definitely NOT recommend the FZ6 as a starter bike. There is way to much power in this machine for a beginner (it basically is a 2002 R6 with no fairing). You will get into trouble, you will get into sticky situations, you’ll probably drop the bike, the bike is just to fast for a novice.

If I were you, I would search your cities Craigslist & Cycletrader. Find a used bike ( Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500, Suzuki SV650, Buell Blast, etc..) to learn on and ride for few months until you get comfortable. If you drop it oh well, if you scrape it oh well. Don’t go out and spend $7000+ on a new bike with no experience, only to hurt the bike or worse, yourself.

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments.

I thought I had made up my mind on the FZ but because of your comments, find myself questioning that decision.

Before I give in and go for a smaller bike I would like to make one last comment and get some feedback.

I am a very responsible driver and would be so as a rider as well. With the rider training course I was hoping I would get the advice needed to handle such an amazing machine. Maybe not but I was hoping. I am not the type of person who is going to go WOT probably at ANY time on this bike and would do my best to stay in situations within my skill as a rider. With that said I'd like to know if everyone maintains the position that I should start with a 500 because I am new to riding.

Again thank you. Your comments have been very helpful. Even if I do go with another bike I will most likely be back various times to get advice from the members of this site.

Nevermind talking me out of a FZ6. I read some posts on a couple other forums with the exact same response as the one I got here. With that much experience saying no I am in no position to disagree. Although taking some advice recieved here I have looked at the Suzuki GS500F and found it to be a very attractive bike. What does everyone think of that for a starter bike.

The FZ6 is pretty easy to handle under 8,000rpm. No surprises in power. If you can control yourself for the first 1,000 miles and really get to know the bike, I think you would be ok if you’re a responsible driver and not an 18 year old irresponsible kid. After 8,000 it’s a rocket.

The thing is, everyone I know who’s a new rider has dropped their bike. Hell I did (not the fz6), and I am the most careful, meticulous person when it comes to my toys. I was only going 10mph, hit a gravel patch and hit the front break instead of the rear, and bye bye shiny new bike.

If it was me personally I would not get the Ninja 250 because it would leave me wanting more power after 1 week.

Last edited:
I think the Suzuki would be a fine starter bike. Buy used and take the money you save and spend it on the BEST gear you can afford (Helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and motorcycle boots) then hope you never need to find out why. Plus you ARE worth it, right?

Once you get the bike, practice what they teach at the rider course. Then look for a street riding class at a race track to improve those urban riding skills- you will need them.

Myself, I rode bicycles all my life, and trail bikes when I was a kid. A bit on a moped. Last year I got a honda shadow 600 and rode it for 500 miles, I friggen hated that bike. I got the fz6 because the fuel capacity was good, the power was better and the over all handling was 100% better. I never did the MSC, but in the time I have had my fz6 I pretty much take it easy and use it as responsible transportation. Mind you I have a bit of fun, but yes everyone is correct, you will find yourself in a sticky situation if you have no experience. Its a good way to get yourself killed. Dude, if the fz6 is your aim, my suggestion is go get a used ninja 250, its a very competent bike. Ride it for 6 months or a year and when you are used to it, then get a fz6. You will be much better prepared.

Did my test on that bike. Its a budget bike that has everything .......budget. Really fast and very quick from the word go. Decent brakes/engine/everything. Much more practical first bike but was incredibly uncomfortable position for me. Found the bike soooooo easy to ride though. Good choice.

A very important feature when buying a streetbike for the first time, especially for a new rider. Get a bike with good ergos, a bike with an upright riding position because it offers greater visiblity, which a new rider needs. 2nd, don't get a bike that is too powerful, such as an R6. It is not forgiving, and you will end up on the pavement.

GS500F would make a great starter. The FZ6 isn't a starter bike at all and needs a lot of respect from the driver because its got a ton of surprises all about the bike. This is a mid-level bike that gets you to the R6 provided you can handle the ergos of a crotch rocket.

If you are responsible as you say, you can get the FZ6 but treat it with a lot of respect until you know your limitations first because the FZ6 will far exceed a lot of experienced rider limitations. "She's a sleeper!"

My FZ6 was "is" my first real bike. I had a honda shadow for a short time (never really rode it because it was a hooptie and barely ran). I have been riding dirt bikes since i was 10 and I think I am a responsible driver (cager). I think alot of the FZ6 is respect for the bike and what it will do. Im older (44) and have learned not to be <stupid> and think things out. Ive had the bike for 1 1/2 years and still ride it pretty mellow... well most of the time :rockon:.

My advice is if you want it... go buy it but remember what you are getting into. research, train, educate everything you can about the bike and dont do anything stupid.

my .02

Nevermind talking me out of a FZ6. I read some posts on a couple other forums with the exact same response as the one I got here. With that much experience saying no I am in no position to disagree. Although taking some advice recieved here I have looked at the Suzuki GS500F and found it to be a very attractive bike. What does everyone think of that for a starter bike.

Great bike, pretty much bullet proof. As others have said try to find a good used one. Remember...it's not a question of IF you will fall, but when you will fall. May as well do it on an inexpensive bike.

I'm not refering to a big get off, but a simple oops!, like you come to a stop and your foot slips out on gravel. As you learn to ride your actions will become automatic instead of a continual thought process. Once you get over that hump you'll be ready for more of a performance bike.

It would be a good idea to buy a cheap used bike as your first. I'm a begginer rider myself looking to buy an FZ and I have tasted the pavement. I'm a cautious rider and know my limits but you dont always know what the road will throw at you. In my case it was gravel where the road flooded. it took 2 minutes and 20 bucks to fix the bike but 1 hour and $500 to fix my arm and i was only doing 20mph.

Either the GS500 or Ninja 500 are well suited at the entry level. But wait, there is a world of difference in the performance between the two and the Ninja has it hands down. Both bikes are very solid platforms are either will serve you well.

Back