Need some help deciding what kind of bike to get!!!

FZ6 was my second bike, with 3000 miles on my first, the Buell Blast. That particular bike was made specifically for beginners (one of the few with that being its primary goal). Beginner features: upright ride, wide torque range, enough power to be safe at highway speed but can't lurch away from you; easy maintenace with a belt; no fairings to get dinged up. I wouldn't start with the FZ6 because it's too expensive for the inevitable damage. I say naked is better for the first bike because it is less expensive to fix. Drummer, you seem to place a premium on thow the bike looks. Keep this in mind, which was perhaps one of the best bits of wisdom I picked up when looking for a first bike. "Your first bike won't be your last." Before you ride, you won't even have a great sense of what really will appeal to you in a motorcycle: comfort, handling, power, look. Thus, best to get a standard bike, not cruiser or sport which have a lot of compromises to meet their objective. If you buy a dedicated beginner bike, you can get good ones for < $2000, keep it for a season, and sell it next season for probably nearly the same. I sold my Blast for 10% less than I bought it for after half a season.

Thanks for the advice CV. As far as the blast is concerned I considered if very seriously but decided against it because I preffered the looks (as you already mentioned) of the GS500F (bike of primary interest at the moment) and the Ninja 500. First of all I have come to terms with the fact that I well be replacing some plastics when I DO drop whichever bike it is I get, so that's not a big deal to me. BUT I respect what you're saying. A naked would be much LESS expensive when I drop it.
Although, I don't like the style of the naked's as much as the GSX derived fairing on the GS500 so as long as those with experience on that bike agree that if I'm responsible on the road and I'm not ****y about my abilities (or lack thereof) that it's a good bike to start with, then I feel safe enough.

The way I look at it, I could seriously injure or kill myself on any bike, no matter how powerful it is.....if I'm not respectful of it's abilities so I plan on doing just that (respecting not dying.)

I think the GS would be a great first bike as well. Check with your insurance company though. I saw you had mentioned the FZ being below the 600 mark but many insurance companies are not using that yardstick anymore for price. They count per cc...period (State Farm does anyways).

That said I've ridden a GS and the V engine powered Ninja 650 (assuming it is similar to a 500) and they both have plenty of power, but very manageable torque curves and power distribution all the way through the rpm's. Either would be a good choice...and they still look good.

Ninja 250, GS500, Ninja 650, SV650, FZ6 would all be good choices imho.

Go sit on them at the dealership and see what fits you best... if you can test ride them that would be even better.

Because it`ll be your first bike, get a used one... you won`t be as mad when you drop it :)

Oh and if you think the bike will save you money... think again... other than rare examples, bikes are money pits...

Finally, make sure you assign a proper budget to good gear... and wear it...

Good luck!

Drummer,
I can't really add to what has already been said - but to just caution you that as a first time rider it's imperative that you listen to what experienced riders have said! Please!!
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I think the concensus is that the FZ6 is not a first time bike!! And it's not for the mere fact that it's extremely quick, agile, fairly light, responsive, terrific braker, handsome, fine mechanical quality, etc.; but the fact that you just aren't ready for all that w.o. at least some experience riding.
I started out on a scooter at age 14 and went on from there. Traffic now seems to have gotten worse w/drivers not paying attention to anyone else in cars, let alone a bike rider. You need to experience this (traffic) w/something a bit more docile than an FZ6.
I agree w/the Suz GS500 & the Ninja 250, or even the 500 as a great starter bike.
Sorry for rambling.......Bill

Oh and if you think the bike will save you money... think again... other than rare examples, bikes are money pits...

Finally, make sure you assign a proper budget to good gear... and wear it...

Good luck!

Man that is the TRUTH!

I agree that the FZ6 is a little too much as a first bike - I am still breaking in my bike AND ME in on this bike.
I put about 3.5k on a Ninja 500 which was an excellent bike. It is a much better bike than the Suzuki, but is not as good looking. Both are great starter bikes and so is a Ninja 250. I am also 5'8" and the Ninja 500 was much more comfortable for me to handle at slow speeds and pushing it back - I could easily flat foot it which I think initially gives a sense of security.
Totally agree about the gear - check out newenough.com closeout and motorcyclesuperstore and get good gear. You'll use your gear for whatever bike you upgrade to. don't get bike specific colored gear since that may change.

Maybe for you but in my case the bikes cost less than half what it does to operate the cages. If I take the cheapest cage and match the cost of operation to the cheapest bike that I have that cage wouldn't stand a chance; overall I have $8,000 more in the cage to start off with. Granted, one can literally dump all sorts of money into the bike but this boils down to the mods, which are not necessary and then, yes, they can be a money pit but this isn't the bikes fault. Even when you are using your own vehicle the money they pay for the bike vs. the money they pay for the cage per mile is significantly less; meaning the bike gets roughly 10-15 cents per mile less.

Maybe for you but in my case the bikes cost less than half what it does to operate the cages. If I take the cheapest cage and match the cost of operation to the cheapest bike that I have that cage wouldn't stand a chance; overall I have $8,000 more in the cage to start off with. Granted, one can literally dump all sorts of money into the bike but this boils down to the mods, which are not necessary and then, yes, they can be a money pit but this isn't the bikes fault. Even when you are using your own vehicle the money they pay for the bike vs. the money they pay for the cage per mile is significantly less; meaning the bike gets roughly 10-15 cents per mile less.

This could be the start of a very long debate, but even without any mods done to your bike, it is still not cheaper than a car.

Buy a Honda Civic, and compare it to your FZ6 in terms of yearly cost over 10 years for example (same # of yearly miles)... including tires, oil changes, maintenance, valve checks, tire punctures, your gear, the occasional drop and plastic repair, the chain lub, the higher insurance costs... etc...etc (its a longggg list) and you will see that bikes are more expensive. This has been discussed VERY thoroughly on every motorcycle forum on earth and the consensus is that on average, the costs involved between a car and a motorcycle are usually quite close from each other, or the bike is slightly over... Now of course there are exceptions... your case may be different than the average... my friend operates a 25 yo cruiser bike... he NEVER does maintenance to it, his tires last him forever... he rides it like a truck and his insurance is very very cheap due to multiple factors... so in his case, it does save him some money... maybe :D

Last edited:
Good first bike: Hayabusa! Trust me on this one. Seriously, I would go with ergonomics (did I spell that right?) first, anotherwards, find a bike on which you think will be to your liking when riding, then, decide on a V-twin or inline 4. If money is not a big factor, skep the 250 range road bike (because you'll just want to soon move up).

Ok......as far as getting the FZ goes I decided after the second post that said NO that it was a bad choice for me.
I just bought a Ninja 500R. I can't exactly flat foot both sides but I can touch both sides and I'm comfortable enough with the weight of the bike on one foot as long as I don't lean it too far.

As far as saving me money, keep in mind I spend between 75 and 100 on gas a WEEK for my car. I may not save me money it may even cost me a little more, but unless I ride it over 1000 miles per week I don't yet see how. Again I said YET. I do realize there are hidden costs to everything.

......so after months of consideration and comparison I did settle on a 07 Ninja 500R. I was told that it is a GREAT starter bike because it's not too much power, it's light enough to throw around if you need to and it's not so small you'll want something else in 2 weeks.

I'm going to take an MSF course on the 30th even though it's costing me $150.00

My question is, as a beginner who has never ridden a motorcycle before, do you think I'm ok to start put putting the bike around and trying to get comfortable with it before I actually take the course? I'll have the bike on or around the 14th and even though I'm a little nervous because motorcylces are new to me, I'm also very anxious to get on the bike and ride it around.

If I did start riding it, first I'd start out on my property (I have a pretty big driveway) just getting used to the bike, then once/if I feel comfortable enough, I'll take it out on the back roads behind my house. Is this an extremely unwise decision having not taken the Riders Course? If so I'll keep the bike on my property until afterward.

Also I was told by a guy I work with who's been riding for a few years that I'm much more likely to drop the bike at a light because I get too comfortable and lean to far while I'm stopping than I am to lay it down going 40+. In your experience as riders is this a true statement or just talk?

P.S.
Sorry this is such a long post.

Get the course in before you really start to ride. What you will learn is really invaluble and could save you alot of troubles. Be patient, you'll be out there soon. And as for that friend who was giving you advice, ask him if you can practice on his bike before you take the course and see what he say's. Whatever you choose, be careful, and stay smart!

An R6S is a bad choice for a first bike, the FZ6 is just as bad a choice in my opinion. I know that sport bikes are the "thing" now but you have to think about yourself. You have no idea the statistics behind first time riders getting a sport bike as their first. It is 76% will wreck the bike in 6 months. That includes everything from dropping it at low speed to getting....you know.....

It is your money and your life but i have lost 4 friends in the past 5 years because they had to have super sport bike and didnt want to progress. I know you have heard the same thing from different people but something that can go 140mph is not what a beginner needs, start looking at the 250 class and you will find a ton of bikes that get 60mpg or more and can travel 70mph all day long and are cheap, cheap, cheap on insurance. I started out on a yamaha virago 250 and if it hadnt been for that bitk i wouldnt bee here now. I cant tell you how many times i came real close to getting killed on that thing.

Learn the basics then progress. You wouldnt want your first car to be a 700hp monster would you?

When you say r"eal riding" do you mean riding on the road? Do you think I should wait?

And as for my friend, we were just talking about wrecking a bike. He said and I quote, "there are two type of riders, those that have dropped their bikes, and those who will." So I asked him if he's crashed, he said not "crashed" but he's dropped his bike at a light twice. I asked him if that happened alot and that's when he told me that he felt dropping it at a light was easier than losing it while riding. Do you disagree with that?

I'm late to this thread. I've owned a Ninja 500. I rode a rented GS500ES over the UK for two weeks. And I've wrenched on Buell Blasts.

Both the Ninja and the GS are excellent bikes. I believe that the Ninja is superior to the GS in two respects. It has water cooling versus the GS's air cooling. And it has four valves per cylinder compared to the GS's two.

The Buell Blast, on the other hand, I wouldn't piss on it if it were on fire. That's a rant for another day.

To sum up, you've chosen well and that Ninja will be more than adequate for a long time. You can lightly modify the airbox and retune the carbs (not rejet, just adjust) for a touch more power. You'll also need a K&N with this setup.

I NEVER recommend K&N's, but in this particular application with the airbox modification and carb adjustments, I've seen dyno results that show a gain. Not a huge gain, mind you...

And frankly, the Ninja500 in the right hands will leave an FZ6 behind in the twisties. It's lighter and lower and has better suspension.

You have chosen wisely.

Fred

Thanks for the post Fred. To be honest I'm not worried about the power of the bike right now. As long as it's not too much. I want something that's small enough to be a good first bike but big enough that I'm not pushing the bike to hard to do 80 on the freeway. Keep in mind the freeway I'm driving is literally uphill both ways. I'll start at 6200 feet and by the time I hit the summit which is about 25-39 miles away, I'll be well over 8k. So......I've been told a 250 is too small. Either way I've already got my bike. I'm just hoping that as someone who has never ridden before I didn't go too big.

Here's hoping. :(

Congrats! Enjoy it... and yes, I would go out and ride the thing in a big empty parking lot... go somewhere close to your house, where you know the road and take it easy (don`t try that yet :mikebike:). It`s good to be comfy on your bike before the MSF... it`ll help you focus on whats to learn there.

Enjoy it man!

Back