NEED PICS: Givi engine guard/crash bars

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm thinking about putting a set of engine guards/crash bars on my '06, but I've got the Yamaha OEM bellypan. I've researched it enough to know that I'd have to modify the belly pan to get ANY engine guards to work, but I've got an idea and I need a few shots to confirm whether it'll work or not.

What I'm looking for is a few pictures of the bars in general, but specifically, HOW THEY CONNECT BEHIND THE HEADERS. I know the SW-Motech engine guards have a coupler that connects them behind the headers, but on the few pictures I've found on here for the Givi ones, I can't get a good enough look at them to see if there's a coupler there or how they connect.

Help me out, please? :thumbup:

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Paulinus, but unfortunately those are the exact two threads I'd been looking over...lol.

If you notice the picture in the second thread, the one where you seemingly get a good look at the bars behind the headers, that's the one that made me question how they connect. It doesn't really look like there's anything there...certainly not a big coupler like the SW-Motech bars have.

I appreciate you looking those up for me!

Anyone else have pictures they could share???

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i don't have a givi so i can't take pics for you... but i remember maybe a year or two ago someone sold an fz on here and they had a belly pan and an sw guard. you might be able to do some digging in the for sale section and get some ideas.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, Dean, that thread is actually the one that made me start thinking about trying this.

It's funny how I found that thread again, though. I was browsing Craigslist, just looking for anything FZ6-related, when I came across a listing for that bike. Apparently, the kid that bought it just a year ago, is turning around and selling it again. He included a link to the original for-sale ad on here and I remembered it after seeing the pictures.

He used the SW-Motech guard with the belly pan. Heck, maybe I should just say screw it and take the belly pan off for a while if I want to use the guards! I just love the look of the belly pan, though!

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, rats. :( I was seriously considering the bars before work went to the pits. I am still on the fence. I don't have the $ so it makes it easy at the moment :)

These intrigue me, but sadly they haven't gotten their hands on a FZ6 to make a set for our bike. :( Racing 905 Armor

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I would kill if those guys that make Race Railz would make them for the FZ6. Then you could easily use the belly pan (and even frame sliders for overkill). I even emailed them a couple of years ago about it and they didn't really seem interested in it, but I think there would be a pretty good market for them.

I don't want a "stunt cage"...just something that would provide more protection than just frame sliders (although I've got those already).

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm thinking about putting a set of engine guards/crash bars on my '06, but I've got the Yamaha OEM bellypan. I've researched it enough to know that I'd have to modify the belly pan to get ANY engine guards to work...

I can't help you with a picture of the Givi's, just wondering if you saw the Hepco & Becker bars:
501_417_00_01.jpg

I have set of these on my bike, they come in black now, not silver. I meant to post pictures of mine but did not get around to it. Of course they may not work with the bellypan either.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Jeff! Actually, I'd forgotten about those, so that's a big help. :thumbup:

I think I've resigned myself to the fact that it's either gonna be the engine bars or the belly pan...sigh. I really don't want to go cutting away a bunch of the belly pan just to make the bars fit, but I'd like to have the extra protection of the engine bars.

Jeff, how are the bars when it comes to the oil filter and drain plug? Do you have to remove these every time you do a change? I know that's an issue, to some extent, with both the Givi and SW-Motech ones.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Jeff! Actually, I'd forgotten about those, so that's a big help. :thumbup:

You're welcome!

Jeff, how are the bars when it comes to the oil filter and drain plug? Do you have to remove these every time you do a change? I know that's an issue, to some extent, with both the Givi and SW-Motech ones.

There is no interference at all, i.e. they provide normal access to both the drain plug and the filter. That's the main reason I chose them.

I was going to put highway pegs on them, but I found that I can just rest my legs up on the bars.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good to hear, that they don't interfere with the filter or plug. Nice!

Ok, here's the million $$$ question...

I've done some searching, but I'm having a hard time finding the Hepco & Becker ones. Where did you get yours or do you know of a good place to look?

:thumbup:

*edit* BTW, Jeff...if you get a chance, can you take a couple of shots of yours? I'd love to see how they mount to the bike and how they connect together behind the headers.

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here's the million $$$ question...

I've done some searching, but I'm having a hard time finding the Hepco & Becker ones. Where did you get yours or do you know of a good place to look?

They were not easy to find, I finally found them here:

Eurotech Motorsports

I just looked and they no longer seem to list the bars for the FZ6. They were very responsive throughout the order process, so I would contact them if you are interested. They can probably still get them. Cost was $193.30 plus shipping.

*edit* BTW, Jeff...if you get a chance, can you take a couple of shots of yours? I'd love to see how they mount to the bike and how they connect together behind the headers.

I'll try to post some pictures soon. The mounting points are the three upper engine mount points, i.e. the main two where sliders ususally go and the other one on the left side. They connect together in the middle behind the pipes with two couplers. They are very solid.