Need Advice!

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Guys I'm new here. I have been reading all the info and what a fantastic site. I need your help. I'm 42 yr old high school teacher at 6'/215lbs and wrestling coach. I bought a 08 Suzuki Burgman but wanted a FZ6 a year ago. Not a day goes by that i don't think about this incredible ride. I visit the dealership often and sit on it. Should I go for it and trade the Burg? Should I get a FZ6 or a FZ6R? Am I told old for this bike? You comments would be much appreciated since I will do this deal this weekend if I get positive feedback from you guys and oh will I have some of you to ride with? Thanks Mark

n3lrk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be 53 next month and I just got back into riding after a 20 years and I jump on the bike every chance I get. The FZ is docile enough at low RPMS and the relatively low weight and maneuverability make it easy to ride. Too old is a state of mind, old guys need fun too.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 44 and just traded in my 2nd FZ6 for the FZ1. My wife got the new FZ6R. Personally, I think you'll be happier with the non-R FZ6 model. You are far from too old, you're taller than I am by 2" and I weigh more than you by 7 lbs. The bike is a really great bike! It really is a swiss army knife of bikes and can handle most any situation. I'm sure you've read all the caveats and praises about this bike here. Not a lot of complaints and most are about the stock seat.

I've never rode a Burg so I cannot compare but I can easily say that you'll love the fit, feel, finish and flickability of the FZ6. Go for it!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
You're only as old as you allow yourself to be!!!

We can make suggestions until the cows come home, but in the end, you're the one making the final decision about trading in your Burgman and getting an FZ6.

Go visit your local Yamaha dealer and see if they'll let you take and FZ6 or FZ6R out for a demo ride. If the dealer won't allow a demo ride, take your business elsewhere!

The greatest thing about an FZ6, is the ability to be a "Jack of all trades". An FZ6 is best described as a "sport-touring-standard-cruiser". You can truly make the FZ6 your own by adding some simple mods or leaving it 100% stock. The choice is up to you.

The engine is happy plugging along at 5,000 rpms in 6 th gear at 60 mph or taking you to warp speed as quickly as you can flick through the gears.

Simply put, the FZ6 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Pryor

Reaction score
Visit site
Do it!!!
I am 40 and on my third and favorite bike.
You will find the FZ more stable than your Bergman.
This bike is incredibly well designed.
The only thing you may miss is the trunk and that is easily overcome depending on your style.
Upgrade, have fun and be safe.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you're not too old...I'm 39, and I don't intend to give the bike up in 3 years!

If you love it, go for it.

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the positive feedback. Glad to see you guys in my age range are having fun. I am going to the dealership tomorrow to test drive and I just might bring it home if things go well. Thanks again

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Mark, I'm 41 and not getting rid of the bike anytime soon. Do it TODAY so you'll have it when school gets out, and put a ton of miles on it before school starts again in September.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 45/female and this is the first sport bike I've owned - I bought it in January and started riding it in March. I must admit that after riding a cruiser for 8 years the FZ scared me at first :eek: But now I love it. The decision is up to you and what you are looking for.

Age is only a number. The only time it's too late is the second after you take your last breath.

S

sm00thpapa

I am 40 and just bought the FZ6R as my first bike. You seem like your experienced enough to get a FZ6 so go for it. Your never to old to do anything. My wife is 40 also and she is just now going to the BRC and wants a cruiser. So go with your heart and do it!

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a FZ6, had to sell, planning on a FZ6R in near future. My FZ6 was a DREAM:thumbup:

MHO is that you'll be very happy with anyone of them. If you're planning to use the upper part of the bikes abilities allot you'll be more happy with the FZ6. Use it for mainly transport with fun capabilities then the FZ6R - I like the full fairing of the FZ6R, but you can add that to the FZ6 for a few more bucks and it looks awesome as well.

I'm 40, 6'2", 230lbs (104kg) and started riding last year for the first time - after quads/atv's for a few years.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Guys I'm new here. I have been reading all the info and what a fantastic site. I need your help. I'm 42 yr old high school teacher at 6'/215lbs and wrestling coach. I bought a 08 Suzuki Burgman but wanted a FZ6 a year ago. Not a day goes by that i don't think about this incredible ride. I visit the dealership often and sit on it. Should I go for it and trade the Burg? Should I get a FZ6 or a FZ6R? Am I told old for this bike? You comments would be much appreciated since I will do this deal this weekend if I get positive feedback from you guys and oh will I have some of you to ride with? Thanks Mark
I am 46, and brand new to riding ANY kind of motorcycle. I am very happy with the FZ6 that I bought last month. Can't give you much input on it vs. your Burgman, but it sure sounds like you really want the FZ6, "Not a day goes by that i don't think about this incredible ride. I visit the dealership often and sit on it." Let us know how your trip to the dealer goes! :) If you are ever in St Louis, MO, I would be happy to go riding with you!

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit older, taller and lighter than you and bought a leftover '08 FZ6 a few weeks ago. Last year around this time I got back into motorcycling, after a long absence, and bought a 2008 Ninja 250R. That bike got me back into the swing of things and convinced me I would stick with it.

However, the 250R killed my lower back and made my left knee ache. I looked at the FZ6R and FZ6 after ruling out the Ninja 650R, Versys and Gladius. The FZ6R felt okay but did not seem to be a big upgrade, other than power, from the ninjette. The FZ6 is taller, has a nicer frame and much better front brakes. The R seems more aimed at beginners and woman, not that that is a bad thing. The only thing I don't like about the FZ6 is the buffeting off the windscreen. The little Ninja was much better in this respect. I have searched the forums but opinions differ widely as the benefit of aftermarket screens like the Puig.

So, get the FZ6 and be happy. One of the advantages of getting on in years is you feel less of an urge to pose. The FZ6 is the real deal. Truly a less is more type of bike.

Tim

Last edited:

pwcwheels

Reaction score
Visit site
Go with the non-R model. I'm 6'3" 225lbs and have an 06 FZ6. Does everything great for a realistic rider. I've had race bikes and more power is great, but I would still take the FZ over any one of them.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would also say go for the non R model. You can't go wrong! My husband finally saw the light (he rode a WR250X) - and now has my '07. I have an '09 on order - never even thought about looking at another bike. Now we have (will have) two! :D

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 51 and bought mine 2 years ago. I LOVE this bike (though not it's windscreen). It can do everything, IMO except off-road. You can tour with it, hit some twisties, or play around and get it to triple digits very fast. I'm also 6'2" and this bike is very roomly for a middleweight.

Anything else you want to know?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Old??? I must be a fossil then, I was 43 when I bought mine. Bermans are cool but an FZ is fast!