Need advice or tip

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so... I have this fuel tank that's "customized", which I did after my crash to fit my inverted bars. Anyway, as it is now, it's not 100% smooth, hence any clear coat would enhance any irregularities. I have used fibreglass and stuff like that and sanded the crap out of it, but still it's just so uneven that it shows.

I was thinking the other day, what about cutting some sort of material (not necessarily metal) and mount it with epoxy resin or something. The material has to be flexible enough to be bend and laid in a convex cavity, like my tank (obviously...). Any thoughts or ideas of what material I could use? It has to be sturdy, paint has to stick to it, etc. A type of plastic material, like I used for my headlamp has crossed my mind, but I'm thinking even more flexible. Rubber compound, vinyl, stuff like that.

I'm thinking quick fix here, as I'm pretty fed ut with sanding:spank:

Throw out your ideas people:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"Marine Tex" is similar to bondo and would probably work. Its very stable once set up.

I've used it on a boat hull to fill in a void where wood used to be and rotted out (main bow u-bolt area for pulling the boat up on to the trailer). It was probably 3" thick after I blew all the old rotted wood out of the fiberglass orifice....

It would need some sanding thou.. Finish up with a thin coat of automotive bondo.

Good luck.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Townsend:thumbup:

Is this what you're thinking of?
Marine-Tex Epoxy

That sounds like magic: "Handles like putty, hardens like steel, sands like wood". Now, if THATS's true, I'm sold. Problem though, is that I need to find something similar over here.

The putty products that I've come over, hardens fast and once hardened, makes sanding dreadful.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Townsend:thumbup:

Is this what you're thinking of?
Marine-Tex Epoxy

That sounds like magic: "Handles like putty, hardens like steel, sands like wood". Now, if THATS's true, I'm sold. Problem though, is that I need to find something similar over here.

The putty products that I've come over, hardens fast and once hardened, makes sanding dreadful.

Yep, that's it... It does harden fairly quickly and handles similar to regular bondo... I would think someone from the states could ship to you, it really doesn't cost much more, just a customs form if shipping USPS...

Like bondo, you should start molding as it sets up with a file/etc. Don't wait until its fully set up to start molding, you won't hurt anything...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You got to remember though, i dont mean to knock you because i by no means am a good body man but if you couldnt get the first application smooth then whatever you lay on top wont be smooth either....

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
You got to remember though, i dont mean to knock you because i by no means am a good body man but if you couldnt get the first application smooth then whatever you lay on top wont be smooth either....

You're partly right, but one can allways improve previous imperfections. It all comes down to patience and the details. I've done this enough to know:rolleyes:

I think I'll go with something similar to Townsend's suggestion, namely a Marine Tex equivalent that I just found out is in store at a local car paint shop. It's easy to sand, and that's key to get this right.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive given some thought to.doing something like that before, i think it would be pretty cool. Real unique too

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
Once you've glassed it out, you should be able to get it relatively smooth with regular bondo if you still have big imperfections. Once you're down to small imperfections, you will need several coats of filler primer with sanding in between. It's a long and tedious job, but once it's done, several coats of paint and clear will level out any minor finish roughness.