My "other" FZ6...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as most regular forum members know, i own 2 FZ6's...the Black Strretfighter, and an ex FZ6 Cup bike, which was once affectionately known as "Pinky", because of it's hot pink race livery! The bike was quite well known in Australian racing circle's, as in it's first season of racing it was ridden by the Editor of Australian Motorcycle News, Ken Wootton, and as such, got quite a bit of coverage in AMCN via race updates from Ken...Then in it's second year of Racing, the bike was ridden by Amy O'Mara, and once again, it's progress was followed by another great Australian bike mag, Rapid.

I purchased the bike with the intent of racing it, but the combination of a few different factors never saw that happen...a nasty stack, the demise of the FZ6 Cup, and finally, finances!

So i ended up striiping most of the good stuff off the bike, the Ohlins suspension, the Woodcraft handlebar's, etc, etc...with most of it ended up on my black bike!

"Pinky" came with all of it's unused raod gear, and as such, the bike was transformed into a road bike...and until now, it has always been an unfinished project, with the orange tank that originally came on my black bike, put on the bike, in preference of the hot pink tank...but with the intention that i would eventually paint the pink tank, and put it back on the bike...

Well i have done it, had the old pink tank painted, and it looks fantastic...

Over time i have also added a set of Leo Vince pipes, a "new" set of wheels, the newly painted silver tank (which was originally blue before it was painted pink for racing!), and a TCP seat cowl, which i originally had on my black FZ6 until i did the single seat conversion to that bike recently...

"Pinky" is now set up as my everyday bike, and is pretty stock in comparison to my other FZ6...

Anyway, i got the tank back from the paint shop this week, and i have now put it on the bike...and i think it looks great, works well with the black "base colour" of the bike, matches up with all the Alloy and silver on the bike, and the read rim stripes give a nice finishing touch IMHO!

Here's a few photo's....

Ken Wootten in the saddle in the 2007 FZ6 Cup.
View attachment 32642

As the bike was when i bought it!
View attachment 32643

Me...wobbling around the track on it...before i highsided it!
_MG_0465-1.jpg

The start of the transformation back into a roadbike!
View attachment 32645

With the old dented orange tank from my now black bike! and finished as a complete, pretty much OEM 2007 FZ6N.
View attachment 32646

Set up for a recent weekend tour! Before the re-painted, once pink, now silver tank was put back on the bike....
View attachment 32647

As it stands today....touring gear off, new tank on, seat cowl on, "new" wheels on, with lovely factory red rim stripes...in everyday commuter mode! Looks a little dull, as i took the photo's when black clouds where overhead, and there was no real decent sun...but you get the idea! The silver is an OEM Yamaha colour! lovely fine metallic finish.
View attachment 32648

View attachment 32649

View attachment 32650

View attachment 32651

Only things left to do, are to put the cast 07 swingarm back on the bike, get some decent rubber on the bike...it currently has 3.5 year old OEM tyres that came with the wheels when i bought them...they are hard as rocks!!! and that's it! nothing more!

:rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing dull about it, mate! Sure it's dull next to Johnny 5, but on its own, it's looks great!! :thumbup:
Looking forward to seeing 07 swingarm. I want to see exactly where you tapped it for spools.

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You must be a big fan of naked to have two FZ6s and neither has a windscreen. :p

I see you got the pipes painted on this one too, and the cowl looks great. I wish those were more accessible.

Where did you get the little black pieces for the rear sets, or are those different rear sets entirely?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You must be a big fan of naked to have two FZ6s and neither has a windscreen. :p

I see you got the pipes painted on this one too, and the cowl looks great. I wish those were more accessible.

Where did you get the little black pieces for the rear sets, or are those different rear sets entirely?

The little black inserts are Carbon fibre heal plates...got em off E-Bay for a song! Other than that they are OEM FZ6 rearsets.

The pipes on this one are ceramic coated, but only the headers, and only on the outside, as they are 07 pipes, and unlike the 04-06 FZ6 pipes, there is 2 cat's in the headers, so without removing them, you cannot ceramic coat the inside of the pipes.

:thumbup:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Even your everyday bike puts my bike to shame! Excellent pair of FZ6s you got there. I still just love the OEM FZ6N headlight and wish it was an option in the US whenever I got my bike.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome mate :thumbup: & i've always said the silver ones were the fastest ;)

What? Even faster than an "jag"?? Hey, can you guess what the OEM Yamaha colour it is? Or more specifically which Yamaha this colour is used on???

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What? Even faster than an "jag"?? Hey, can you guess what the OEM Yamaha colour it is? Or more specifically which Yamaha this colour is used on???

No :Flip: , I didnt say they were faster than an XJR this I know for a fact :eek: :BLAA: But the silver FZ's are definately the fastest :thumbup:

As for the paint , this site should help answer the questions :thumbup: Yamaha Motorcycle Paint - ColorRite - ColorRite

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends , is it the dark silver or that pale silver/metallic gray the R1 came out in ???

It is the second one....weird colour, looks grey in dull light, looks silver in bright light....

The best part about it is, Silver/Grey are the best colours for not showing up fine polishing scratches, or swirls....and for someone as retarded as me, who cant cope with the smallest scratch...this is a very good thing!

:D

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is the second one....weird colour, looks grey in dull light, looks silver in bright light....

The best part about it is, Silver/Grey are the best colours for not showing up fine polishing scratches, or swirls....and for someone as retarded as me, who cant cope with the smallest scratch...this is a very good thing!

:D

YAY :cheer: :cheer: I win :D... Yeah your right about the scratches , could never see them on my old FZ :thumbup: Im sure they were there , I polished it every wash but you couldnt see them ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
YAY :cheer: :cheer: I win :D... Yeah your right about the scratches , could never see them on my old FZ :thumbup: Im sure they were there , I polished it every wash but you couldnt see them ;)

Yes, the guy who does all my paint work for me, let me in on the deal! He knows me well by now, and that my life is eternally doomed to finding the softest polishing cloth ever to keep the black bike's paint flawless...which it will never be.... :(

So he suggested this colour, as he knows i want this bike to be easy to live with, day in day out! This one aint no Rockstar...it's the "Roadie", that just get's it's $hit done, no fuss, no fanfare!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the guy who does all my paint work for me, let me in on the deal! He knows me well by now, and that my life is eternally doomed to finding the softest polishing cloth ever to keep the black bike's paint flawless...which it will never be.... :(

So he suggested this colour, as he knows i want this bike to be easy to live with, day in day out! This one aint no Rockstar...it's the "Roadie", that just get's it's $hit done, no fuss, no fanfare!

Remind me to bring some polish cloth with me to Tassie , Kel gets it from work for free :thumbup:... Its the packing gauze they use in operations :eek: ULTRA soft then I buff off with a faux mink cloth ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Remind me to bring some polish cloth with me to Tassie , Kel gets it from work for free :thumbup:... Its the packing gauze they use in operations :eek: ULTRA soft then I buff off with a faux mink cloth ;)

Humpy....bring some polishing cloth to Tassie! :D:ban:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh Jamie! I'm sorry mate but this second bike is HIDEOUS! I'll be right there and take this eye sore off your hands for you. I'll even throw ya a few hundred for your troubles. ;)