My Hall Of Shame

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for all the support guys. Cliff, if your brother was on the 405N around Washington blvd at around 6am...then that was me. I guess I will wait to see if I will ride again. I really want to, because it was my favorite activity to do. I actually looked forward to my 5:45am commute to work in the cold because it meant I was on my bike. But it is hard to imagine after 12 weeks of no walking and driving that I can justify the risk.

People always said that crashing on a bike is a "when" not an "if" but I always hoped I would be the exception and getting to 35,000m without an incident made me keep my fingers crossed. I guess I just finally join the inevitable club.

I just called my brother. It was a gold colored bike on the 5 fwy....

I crashed twice this past year within a 4 month period. Broke a rib and cracked one on the left side the first time, then broke both the same ribs cleanly the second time as well as hurt my left hand and wrist. I didn't get to completely heal from the first crash. How I came to those crashes was different than your experience.

For me the ride don't ride scenario was more based on risk and the type of riding I was doing and caring about others who loved me and had to suffer when I was injured. That made me more cautious about how much of that type riding I would do and when. You must own all of your crashes and I believe you've done that by realizing what caused it.

I can't say whether I ride for the right or wrong reason. All I know is I love to ride.
Allow yourself time and heal up fast! :rockon:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn... Sorry to hear about this. I'm glad you're OK because as you said, it could have been much worse!

I have a brief commute on the 5 south and some mornings it's insanity.

Heal up soon!

Bri

Reaction score
Visit site
Jeremy,

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. There are so many risks in life and it is easy to get complacent and make one minor mistake like not securing your pack...

As I was driving to work last year on snow-packed icy roads (I grew up driving on ice, so I'm really good at it), I was almost to work and I was thinking about something I needed to get done right away. As a result my mind became pre-occupied and bam, I was in the ditch...

I'm also a pilot. Checklists are frequently used in flying to help guard against the danger of becoming complacent - a natural tendancy when we become very familiar with something. When I first started flying I was constantly asking, "what if." Now that I've got around 1500 hours I no longer have that attitude and I find myself needing to use the checklists because the process has become too routine. Checklists aren't hard and they only take a few seconds but they do help insure that important airworthiness requirements have been met.

Thanks for sharing your story, perhaps I'll make a riding checklist to help guard myself before I become complacent on my FZ6. Note that this is my first street bike although I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 9.

Heal fast and keep your head up. If you continue riding this experience will only make you better. Heck, I'm confident you'll be doing the bi-xeonon mod... :)

Brian

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for how the day went down, like the others said, wait on your thoughts. Let yourself heal first before any final decisions.

PS: It's Not Shame, It's Experience

Get Well Soon

WORBC

WOuld Rather Be Cycling
Reaction score
www.smallsats.com
It’s crazy sometimes, wait on your decisions for a bit, knock on wood I haven't crashed my motorcycle but have crash my mountain and road bikes many times and have said that I wouldn't ride again, only heal up, fix the bicycle, and then ride and realize that I can't live without it.

It seems like every day I hear about a motorcycle involved crash, I ride from Irvine to LA and back every day, the 405 and 5 both are crazy busy most of the time.

Heal well and soon!

--terry