My FZ1 handlebar install review

rsmith2072

2007 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
So i installed a FZ1 handlebar on my 07 FZ6. I have some arthritis in my hands so i have been looking for something to help. The FZ1 handle bars are a perfect fix for that. Of course i will never completely get rid of the arthritis but the bars help a lot. The bars seem to have less of a bend to them so which i feel like i sit more natural. My elbows are more straight with my body instead of pushed inward like the FZ6 bars do. Reading all of the other forums i seen everyone has been using bar risers. I decide to try it without the risers first to see how it felt. My bars come close to the tank but do not hit. I can lock my steering to the left with no problem. I did some tight parking lot turns and my hands don't come close to hitting the tank either. I still can't decide if i want to put some risers on or not. If i do they will be the swivel risers so i can get the most adjustment.

As far as installing the bars it was very easy. I did have to drill the hole for the throttle pin to go in and also sand of a small nipple of the FZ1 bars that looked like something for the front break lever to attach to.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job. I did mine last year for no apparent reason (I was not experiencing any real discomfort) and I love them. They are sportier and I think they look better.

NOTE TO ANYONE THINKING OF DOING THIS:.... It is an easy job (90 minutes MAX) an requires basic mechanical skills. Go and do it....you will NOT be disappointed.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The little knob you ground off of the bar: it's for a plastic clip which holds the wires in place on FZ1.. not that it matters :)

FZ1 bar works very well on FZ6. I'm one of the people who found stock bar to be shockingly uncomfortable. I was in quite severe pain after a 20 minute ride with stock bar.. swapped it out after 1st ride.

rsmith2072

2007 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
The little knob you ground off of the bar: it's for a plastic clip which holds the wires in place on FZ1.. not that it matters :)

FZ1 bar works very well on FZ6. I'm one of the people who found stock bar to be shockingly uncomfortable. I was in quite severe pain after a 20 minute ride with stock bar.. swapped it out after 1st ride.

Ok that makes since. I wasn't for sure what that was for I just filed it off?

Did any of you guys use bar risers? If so what's your thoughts on it?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have a set of 3/4 in risers that jblk9695 (jerry)makes. When I feel like it, I put them on, usually during winter or longer trips. They are short enough that the cables don't need to be messed with.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Be sure to index (rotate) your levers so your hands are parallel to your forearm when operating the levers...

But yes, I'm also a happy user!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site

I left them on, can't see them...

And no, no risers for me. IMO the lean forward isn't enough to make things uncomfortable. It's little enough that you can chose to sit straight with straightish arms, or lean forward with bent elbows and be comfortable in both positions.

It also makes tucking on the tank very easy to do, which i am afraid would be a lot harder with risers.

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
So can you do this mod with a faired version (not naked) - my bike is stock and would like to swap the bars.

Any rubbing issues?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
So can you do this mod with a faired version (not naked) - my bike is stock and would like to swap the bars.

Any rubbing issues?

I don't have any experience with the faired version, but remember seeing a lot of pictures and mentions of FZ1 bars on faired bikes when i was doing the research before i swapped mine.

You should be ok.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Any rubbing issues?

Yes, you can. No clearance issues. You do have to position the bar with the sweep pointing just slightly up, so that controls clear the tank at full lock (naked or faired).

JeffSez59

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did this the other day on my faired '05. Only thing is that you might need to re-adjust the brake line coming off the master cylinder for clearance issues. Then again I do have an 1" up 1.25" back handlebar risers on. Even the nub on the left controls, that people sometimes say you'll have to remove cause it doesn't align with fz1 bar, aligned perfectly on my new bar. [emoji106]

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went the fz6r bars on mine. Was gonna go with the fz1, but I like the bit of rise to the fz6r handlebar. Much more comfortable than stock.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you can. No clearance issues. You do have to position the bar with the sweep pointing just slightly up, so that controls clear the tank at full lock (naked or faired).

I am swapping mine out now and noticed that for the FZ1 bars the rotational index mark is on the left, FZ6 on the right. FSM states to align mark with lower mounting block, but it does require a slight rotation upward to clear tank at full lock.

rsmith2072

2007 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
When I installed my bars I just left it loose until I had all my controls on. Then I turned the bars all the way to the left and position the bars with just a slight gap. Your lowest point on the bars is just below your horn button.

As far as installing on a faired version, I have read forums and seen many of pics of people doing it. So you should have no problems.

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of questions:

• Where do I find FZ1 Bars? (who has the best price?)
  • Is there a "How-To" on the forum here somewhere? (Yes I searched for it)

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site

Any rubbing issues?

I have the FZ1 bars on my faired 07 FZ6. I don't have any rubbing issues even when I turn the bar all the way to the left or right. It's perfect! :thumbup:

A couple of questions:

• Where do I find FZ1 Bars? (who has the best price?)
  • Is there a "How-To" on the forum here somewhere? (Yes I searched for it)

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...ar-conversion-kit?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28

I've heard you can get them cheaper but i'm not sure. There are also some people who prefer the stock and wouldn't mind trading their FZ1s for your stock bars.

I bet there is a how-to on the forums here but you'll have to do some searching. A lot of times the "search thread" thing doesn't work for me.

blue09

Reaction score
Visit site
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...ar-conversion-kit?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28

I've heard you can get them cheaper but i'm not sure. There are also some people who prefer the stock and wouldn't mind trading their FZ1s for your stock bars.

The link you provided is an upgrade for the FZ1 I think? I bought my FZ6 with FZ1 bars installed and they don't have that rise. Plus, they want $185; OEM bars from Bike Bandit are like $60.

I'm thinking I want the FZ6R bars so I can sit up a bit more. Does anyone have pictures of the different bars installed?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the link you provided is an upgrade for the fz1 i think? I bought my fz6 with fz1 bars installed and they don't have that rise. Plus, they want $185; oem bars from bike bandit are like $60.

I'm thinking i want the fz6r bars so i can sit up a bit more. Does anyone have pictures of the different bars installed?

View attachment 53512

View attachment 53513
The first pic it's the fz1 bars and the second is the fz6r bars.

Last edited: