My first motorcycle ever & first ride ever

eman

E-man
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone.
My name is Eman and I've just purchased my first motorcycle ever, yesterday.
It's a beautiful 2009 black FZ6 fazer, with 4400 miles on it. I got a crazy deal on it, and I have to admit I was pushing the limits a little bit in terms of the pricing, but it turned out that the gentleman who owned the bike before just purchased a new house and needed the cash. I have gotten the bike with more than a $1000 off from the original price, for a $3200 cash money :cool:. He was kind enough to ride it to my house as I had no way of getting to him this week.

Now this is going to be and sounds crazy, but I have never rode a bike before, so I've got to experience it for the first time yesterday on my first bike. (Empty side road, 11PM). I have done some research on various motorcycles and couldn't get past the FZ6, I instantly fell in love with the looks. By that said, despite me being in my 30's, I am completely new to motorcycle riding and motorcycles in generals, running pretty much a decade behind on this beautiful experience, now that I think about it.

Located in Maryland (Silver Spring area), I'll gladly meet, get educated and /or ride with someone who lives close by.

PS: I can see a bunch of you seeing a huge red flag realizing "What, this guy just purchased a bike without ever riding it", but lacking the riding experience (I never said anything about my skills to the seller) and any skill whatsoever, and the deal going through so fast :) I am confident I did the right thing!

Thanks for the forum, I am diving in into rHello everyone.
My name is Eman and I've just purchased my first motorcycle ever, yesterday.
It's a beautiful 2009 black FZ6 fazer, with 4400 miles on it. I got a crazy deal on it, and I have to admit I was pushing the limits a little bit in terms of the pricing, but it turned out that the gentleman who owned the bike before just purchased a new house and needed the cash. I have gotten the bike with more than a $1000 off from the original price, for a $3200 cash money :cool:. He was kind enough to ride it to my house as I had no way of getting to him this week.

Now this is going to be and sounds crazy, but I have never rode a bike before, so I've got to experience it for the first time yesterday on my first bike. (Empty side road, 11PM). I have done some research on various motorcycles and couldn't get past the FZ6, I instantly fell in love with the looks. By that said, despite me being in my 30's, I am completely new to motorcycle riding and motorcycles in generals, running pretty much a decade behind on this beautiful experience, now that I think about it.

Located in Maryland (Silver Spring area), I'll gladly meet, get educated and /or ride with someone who lives close by.

PS: I can see a bunch of you seeing a huge red flag realizing "What, this guy just purchased a bike without ever riding it", but lacking the riding experience (I never said anything about my skills to the seller) and having the deal go through so fast, I just went with the gut feelings :) I am confident I made the right choice.

Thanks for the forum, I am diving in into reading all what's here.

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you haven't already, Please look into taking the Basic Riding Course in your area. It'll do you a ton of good.....also invest into some good riding gear, one day it just might save your arse ;)

And :welcome:

eman

E-man
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. I am starting my Basic Riding Course on June 4th :) As for gear, I went a little nuts and spent a fortune during last 4 days on a helmet, jackets (2), gloves, armor. Buying boots tomorrow and pants in the near future. I even got a bright yellow vest, that screams "see me now?"... I am all in for safety and mindful riding! Thank you for the comment and the welcome note.

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard! Ride safely and let me second the Basic Riding Course. That's how I got my license, the skills are invaluable.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: eman!

Please be careful! Many believe the FZ6 is not a beginners bike and for someone brand new to riding this is very true. The motor will behave like nothing you've experience when it is in it's upper RPM range. It becomes a totally different animal. We want you to be a happy, long time member of our community! :)

As others have said do an accredited motorcycle safety training course. Be patient, take your time and observe things for a while before just taking off.

We have many experienced people that will be giving you good solid advice.Again, Welcome!:D

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome and be careful out there
glad to hear you're into safety, we all look on that as something that is entwined in riding, if you want to do it for a long time!

good luck and you found the right place for nice folks with abundant info

motel6

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! Welcome.

I've been riding the FZ6 for over a year now and love it. Have been having dirty thoughts of getting an r6 though... ;)

But like everyone else is saying, take your MSF courses, etc. It's good you are on the right track for gear. Sounds like you are devoted to what you're doing.

Good luck!

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best Forum around. It sounds like you are on right track with gear and instruction. Take your time to learn your limits, be careful and patient.
Remember, there is no substitute for experience. :thumbup:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Two words: frame sliders

Not saying you will go down but at some point the bike will. First week I had mine I dropped it in the parking garage. Think of them as protecting your pride.

Edit: looked closer and think he already installed a pair for ya.

eman

E-man
Reaction score
Visit site
Ivi - there is one in the area with 600 miles, pretty much brand new, garage kept for around $4000 (I got him down from 4700). I was thinking about getting that one, before I got the price I got. I guess its a good time of the year and good area combo?

Cmantis: Yes, sliders are on. Supposedly, there is a purple neon light installed in the front for coolness/better visibility factor. The owner called me after the purchase with this. Such a cool guy, honest and humble. It made the decision so much easier. And when I asked him, he told me it wasn't easy to let "her" go.

Motogiro - as usually in my life, I chose the deeper with an intention to learn to swim in it, rather than continuously going to deeper waters (maybe it's a bad habit). In this case, I'll swim very slow before I even allow my self to reach the higher rpm's. :)

I must say I woke up to a lot of messages and it makes me happy. Thank you all for the welcome notes and kind words. What a great community! I am glad I picked the safety class, I didn't think it will have so much support. I have also decided that obtain my M license through this course, as it is mentioned above (Luckily, I can take it in PA, it's FREE there!)

PS: I managed to get a free riding training on a dirt bike through a friend. I think that will help me a lot before the class starts.

Thank you all again, so much!

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Good on you eman, riding a dirt bike is the best way to improve your street skills. Have fun and keep your eyes up.
Don't forget ATGATT!!!! (All The Gear All The Time)

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks a lot like my bike. :) Have fun at the MSF class and take it easy. The drivers are completely nuts around here.

This is very true, I live just south of Baltimore and when I ride I basically head immediately towards the Clarksville, Olney, Damascus area. Anywhere along the I-95, I-270, and I-495 corridors are just too congested to relax and really enjoy the ride.

I started in much the same way, but on an old 1982 Yamaha XJ650J. I bought it before I had ever ridden. A friend of mine who rode, went out looking at bikes for me and rode it back to his house from the PO's house. Then he would ride it to a local Target parking lot after hours and I would practice riding for an hour or 2 then he would ride it back to his place. If you have someone who rides that you trust this may be a good way to practice until June 4th.

Also make sure that MD will accept a PA MSF course for the purpose of getting your license. I took my MSF in NH and it said right on it that it would only be valid at a NH DMV.

Once you are on the road hit me up, I am quite close and am always looking for someone to ride with.

And lastly :welcome:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ivi - there is one in the area with 600 miles, pretty much brand new, garage kept for around $4000 (I got him down from 4700). I was thinking about getting that one, before I got the price I got. I guess its a good time of the year and good area combo?
Yeah, maybe that and the fact that I didn't try haggling it down like an idiot... he was like "I'm surprised you didn't try haggling it" and I was like "Can I now?" and he chuckled and just said "Nope too late". :(

Still happy with it just was a little let down when i see most in the mid 3000 range or less.

That's a great deal on the 600mi one... does no one ride their motorcycles down there? Sounds like the place to buy them

eman

E-man
Reaction score
Visit site
Brackson - You are right. Drivers are nuts here. DC attitude :-/
And I would absolutely love to hang out once I can safely enter a busy street/highway. I will def reach out, thanks.

Ivi - I would never ever buy anything full price, haha.
No harm in asking, worst case scenario, you get a "NO".
The $4000 guy has a newborn, my guy bought a house. I guess timing is everything. And Craigslist has been always my number 1 place to go to.

God bless

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new bike. As others have mentioned, be patient and I'm glad to hear that you have signed up to take the BRC. Waiting to take the BRC will prevent you from developing bad habits, such as looking down. Motorcycling is like learning how to golf. You can learn on your own and develop that ugly golf swing, or learn from a Pro who will teach and show you the proper technique to help you become and ride like a pro over time. Most importantly, show you How, Where and What to look for when you're out riding in traffic.

Where did you purchase your gear, if you purchased it at Cycle Gear, they will give you a 15% discount on your gear upon successful completion of any MSF class, within 30 days.

eman

E-man
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new bike. As others have mentioned, be patient and I'm glad to hear that you have signed up to take the BRC. Waiting to take the BRC will prevent you from developing bad habits, such as looking down. Motorcycling is like learning how to golf. You can learn on your own and develop that ugly golf swing, or learn from a Pro who will teach and show you the proper technique to help you become and ride like a pro over time. Most importantly, show you How, Where and What to look for when you're out riding in traffic.

Where did you purchase your gear, if you purchased it at Cycle Gear, they will give you a 15% discount on your gear upon successful completion of any MSF class, within 30 days.

Thanks so much. I love your comparison to golf :) Makes sense!

I got the helmet new of Craigslist (Shoei RF1000) and the jackets, gloves, vest and armor from Amazon, steel toe slip resistant boot from DSW. Always going by the reviews on Amazon and crosschecking with Revzilla or similar websites. Unfortunately, I didn't use Cycle Gear for any of my purchases. Thank you for the response, much appreciated!

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much. I love your comparison to golf :) Makes sense!

I got the helmet new of Craigslist (Shoei RF1000) and the jackets, gloves, vest and armor from Amazon, steel toe slip resistant boot from DSW. Always going by the reviews on Amazon and crosschecking with Revzilla or similar websites. Unfortunately, I didn't use Cycle Gear for any of my purchases. Thank you for the response, much appreciated!

Make sure the helmet really is new, or better yet see if Shoei will inspect it (alot of manufacturers will do so for free) once a helmet is used and takes any impact (even dropping it from a table) it could be permanently compromised. Also check the age of that helmet the RF1000 is 2 models old and it may be worn out based on age also. If the helmet checks out then awesome, Shoei makes amazing lids. I use the Qwest from them and its my favorite helmet I have ever touched.

Good luck and be safe! ATGATT!