MotoGP Paddock Speak about Simoncelli....

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a few riders/team managers comments about the incident between Simoncelli and Pedrosa.

Pedrosa leaves France with a broken collarbone. Simoncelli picked up a ride through penalty, but still finished 5th in the race.

From motogp.com

The clash between the two Honda riders, put Pedrosa out of the race and cost him the chance to go top of the MotoGP World Standings. The Spaniard suffered a broken collarbone in the accident. Simoncelli’s manouerve was declared illegal by Race Direction and he was punished with a ride through penalty which dropped the Italian to fifth position, preventing him from a maiden rostrum finish. After much recent debate in the MotoGP paddock about safety issues and contact between riders, you can read the thoughts below of those involved, plus other rider’s and personnel on the moment the two riders locked horns.

Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda

”Simoncelli overtook me, I passed him back and I had the better line. He just came into me, releasing the brakes and I could do nothing. I leave here with a broken collarbone and he with a ride through penalty, good for him! Yet again I come out worse off. We only just recovered from the nightmare of the last operation and now I’m hurt again. It is very unfair, I don’t deserve it.”

Marco Simoncelli

“For me I haven’t done anything incorrect, so for me this is a race ‘action’ (incident). I saw in the video that his bike was hopping a little bit and he lost the line, he touched me, when I saw he couldn’t make the corner I picked the bike up but it was too late. He touched me on the back and he crashed. For me the punishment from Race Direction was because of all the controversy of the last few days, and from Estoril. For me if the same thing happened without me they would penalise nobody. This is my point of view.”

Valentino Rossi, Ducati Team

”For me, I think this time, Simoncelli was too hard, maybe it was a bit too aggressive, as Dani had no room to make anything. I think it’s also a mistake because at that part of the race Simoncelli arrive strong so maybe instead of overtaking Dani under braking, he could overtake him on the next lap.”

Alberto Puig, Pedrosa’s manager

“For a long while the fact that Simoncelli is dangerous has been talked about and I believe he really is ignorant, that he doesn’t understand anything about what’s going on. This guy has to be reprimanded, I hope the Security Commission does something because this isn’t the first time. He was already warned in Estoril, Lorenzo spoke with him and it seems he doesn’t take notice of anyone. For starters the manoeuvre is wrong, because Pedrosa had taken the position but he (Simoncelli) has tried to force it. Secondly, he’s made somebody crash and break a bone. This is something serious.”

Nicky Hayden, Ducati Team

”I’ve had one look at it so I didn’t really get to slow it down and watch it a couple of times, so I’m not really sure. It’s between them two, they don’t need me to weigh in on it as I’m sure everyone will have an opinion on it. Two guys racing hard, things can happen, there’s been a lot of drama this weekend, a lot of arm waving and this and that.”

Livio Suppo, HRC Communication and Marketing Director
“I think he did a mistake honestly, that can happen. Unfortunately it’s been a mistake with a bad consequence as Pedrosa was already in front of him and he (Simoncelli) closed the door and it was impossible for Dani to do anything.”

Casey Stoner, Repsol Honda

”I haven’t had a chance to see the incident yet so for me it’s impossible to make a judgement at this moment.”

Andrea Dovizioso, Repsol Honda

”I didn’t see on the tv so I can’t say something about that.” Referring to a similar incident that occurred during his race for Lorenzo, the Italian commented, “The important thing to understand is if the rider wants to do this or he just brakes too late. This is something dangerous; when the rider arrives too late, you don’t see the rider and this is not nice when you are riding.”

Last edited:

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Notice they didn't get a comment from Lorenzo.

Would have been abit hypocritical after he tried to break Dovi's left ankle early in the race.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can this god damn season be any more of a soap opera?

At least the drama has been interesting since the racing has been a bore for the most part thus far. :BLAA:

But I'm really enjoying the FIM and AMA Superbikes and Supersports more this year. :thumbup::D

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can this god damn season be any more of a soap opera?

this is more like WWF

Maybe a little rough but there is no denying its getting people interested in racing again :rockon: :rockon: Watched the replay at work today & had the boss asking questions , commenting , oohing & ahhing & saying how good it was to watch....... And he hates bikes with a passion :thumbup:

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a real shame that MotoGP isn't as exciting as GP2....It would be nice to see 4 or 5 riders swapping positions for the top spot when the white flag waves.

I was thinking that I would love to see Marco try that **** on Ben or Nicky (because there would be a fight), but Ben and Nicky have to be up there racing with the fast guys first.

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
It was a bad move on his part, too anxious, too antsy. A bit of patience, he easily could have overtaken him on the next few turns cleanly.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just some karma for Pedro-Bot taking out his teammate Nicky Hayden at Estoril in 2006! :BLAA:

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
Just some karma for Pedro-Bot taking out his teammate Nicky Hayden at Estoril in 2006! :BLAA:

Pedrosa took an outside line, letting Hayden past him in Valencia, the deciding race of 06. Pedrosa is a stand up guy, that was one of the most selfless acts ive ever seen.