Mods Questions and Idea...

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there guys and gals.
So Ive been bitten by the modding bug, which seems to get to me no matter what bike I have. I have out a set of Scorpion Pipes on her, had a cat delete pipe made, modded the air box, added a 1.1 spring and heavier oil to the fork, and rebuilt the rear shock, and had her dyno tuned with a PC3. The end results weren't bad, 96.40 RWHP, a gain of about 7.5 RWHP.
Anyway, the guy/shop that works on all my bikes (Full Spectrum Racing, in Longwood, Fl) has been toying with the idea of doing R6s cams, and R6s T-bodies, but using the FZs injection and ECU. Hes tells me that he can degree the cams so that the power band will come in sooner like the stock FZ6 cams, but I will still get the HP bump from the cams, and that he can confab the boots to make the bigger T-bodies work. Best part is that I can have the parts for next to nothing, and only have to really worry about the shop time..Any thoughts on these mods? I have read some about the R6s cams, but no one seems to have mentioned degree the cams to move the power band lower, and I haven't found any post about the T-bodies.
Thanks for any input at all guys..

Sean

Hi there guys and gals.
So Ive been bitten by the modding bug, which seems to get to me no matter what bike I have. I have out a set of Scorpion Pipes on her, had a cat delete pipe made, modded the air box, added a 1.1 spring and heavier oil to the fork, and rebuilt the rear shock, and had her dyno tuned with a PC3. The end results weren't bad, 96.40 RWHP, a gain of about 7.5 RWHP.
Anyway, the guy/shop that works on all my bikes (Full Spectrum Racing, in Longwood, Fl) has been toying with the idea of doing R6s cams, and R6s T-bodies, but using the FZs injection and ECU. Hes tells me that he can degree the cams so that the power band will come in sooner like the stock FZ6 cams, but I will still get the HP bump from the cams, and that he can confab the boots to make the bigger T-bodies work. Best part is that I can have the parts for next to nothing, and only have to really worry about the shop time..Any thoughts on these mods? I have read some about the R6s cams, but no one seems to have mentioned degree the cams to move the power band lower, and I haven't found any post about the T-bodies.

Sean

Sounds like a cool concept, if you go for it then definitely let us know how it goes!

if its cheap enough and they can do it, go for it and return back to let us know how it did. If it is more than $1500 or so, you might want to rethink. For that much, you could sell the FZ6 and buy a nice FZ1.

Hi there guys and gals.

Sean

DO IT! I've been waiting two years for someone to do this mod and post dyno sheets. You've done all of the right tweaks so far.

Begs the question.....will an R6 motor bolt right in to an FZ6?

I can't see any reason why not,after all it's an R6 motor with a few internal changes.
It would be ok on a faired FZ,but the top end punch isn't much good for us on nakeds,it's all about the bottom end/midrange that the cams have on the FZ's.

(though the bottom end isn't much to talk about)........

Last edited:
pretty sure it doesn't fit

I can't see any reason why not,after all it's an R6 motor with a few internal changes.
It would be ok on a faired FZ,but the top end punch isn't much good for us on nakeds,it's all about the bottom end/midrange that the cams have on the FZ's.

(though the bottom end isn't much to talk about)........

I'm pretty sure that Osso or somebody looked into this, and although the FZ6 engine is based on a previous gen R6 engine, the mounting bolts / locations were indeed different. I think one of the benefits of a R6 engine swap would be a smoother transmission. The FZ6 transmission has always slightly bothered me, since I bought it new in 2004. I still had a Honda CBR600F4 at the time, and riding both of them back to back mad the FZ6 feel like there were rocks in the gearbox.... Also amazing was how much quieter, wind-noise wise the F4 was compared to the FZ6. Sure, it had much less protection than the FZ6, but there wasn't any turbulent wind noise like the FZ6.

Did they re cast it?
Externally (apart from the injection system) I thought it was identical to the '03-'04 R6

Can anyone shed more light?

X2 On the gearbox,second to third really clunks!

See this thread for more info

See this thread for more info:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/15826-engine-swap.html

Apparently, the two blocks were never the same and the frame attachments points are different. They say that the orientation of the clutch setup is also different.

I love my FZ, but I have to admit that the ultimate bike for me would simply be a naked R6 setup with better ergos and more wind protection. No detuned motor / suspension / other cheap bits. A real naked performance bike that is comfy to ride.

I think that triumph figured out that formula from what I hear (well, maybe not decent wind protection).

That write up was about swapping an '07 R6 engine,which is different to the '03/'04 lump.
It's not a swap I'd consider,as the characteristics of the FZ engine suit me fine.
Unless mine goes bang of course!

Reading up,the only problem I can see are the intakes.There is a lack of space in the FZ frame to mount the R6 ones with the airbox,but then again I'm sure that could be gotten around.

I suppose the ultimate would be putting an R7 spec engine in,if you had very deep pockets :D

Back