Mod's for taller guys

muskoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have just purchased a slightly used 2007 FZ6 after 14 years of no bike (my last bike was a 1986 FJ1200).

I was wondering what other's have done to their bikes to make it better suited for a taller person (6'2" 195lbs)?? risers, windshields, seats etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
I injured my lower back last year so I was looking for suggestions on how to take pressure off that area.

handlebar risers might help you to be seated in a more relaxed position..I am 6'2" 170lbs..I have my Fz6 bone stock..I havent had any back problems...but yes..my wrist problem is always there(discussed in a different thread).
KB

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6'-7", and I have not made any changes to the bike due to my size. I agree with everyone so far, the risers, and maybe an after market seat that has you sitting back a little more.

Ashbone

Reaction score
Visit site
Definately a new seat, Corbin or TS from France, I am 6' 1" 225lbs, I have also fitted the taller windshield which HAS made a difference for me even though there are a lot of threads on this topic so you can make your own mind up on that one!!
Suburban bars gave me a more comfortable riding position, my shoulders are now 1" higher and 1 1/2 " forward from the original as I am quite long in the body, see my pictures in the gallery under "Suburban Machinery" to view the bars.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
At 6'1", I put on 1"-up-1"-back risers and a tall windshield from Calsci. The risers make it marginally more comfortable, the windshield makes it hugely more comfortable. It seems to me that most taller people find that the small shields (like Puig's racing screen) don't put the wind up high enough. Tall people either need to go for a cut down windscreen to avoid getting wind on the helmet (causing unpleasant noise) or go for very tall to put it over your helmet (but you'll look like a tourer in that configuration).

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Muskoka, :welcome: to the forum!

I'm 6"1" and a bit, 200 lbs. I did put a Puig touring windscreen on which helps. My only issue at the moment is the my knees start to hurt after a while which makes me want more height from the foot pegs to the seat. I suppose an aftermarket seat is the answer there but its not so bad as to justify the money. I found that simply playing around with the stock handlebar position can make a significant difference in shoulder and hand comfort.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6'-7", and I have not made any changes to the bike due to my size. I agree with everyone so far, the risers, and maybe an after market seat that has you sitting back a little more.

Holy cr@p!! That make me feel a whole lot more comfortable just thinking about it!

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6'1" 195lbs. I have the Cee Bailey's screen and Bikemaster GP touring bars. Screens and bars are personal items that need to be tried by the individual.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy cr@p!! That make me feel a whole lot more comfortable just thinking about it!

:noworries: here. You get used to everything being made for shorter people. Try riding in a plane or compact car. I have extra long legs, 38 inseam, so I am used to tucking with everything. I like the fit of the bike. I too would not mind some rear sets or something of that nature to lower the pegs a bit, and a seat that would pick it up a bit. However, for the money, I am happy the way it is. To me, 6'-0" to 6'-3" seems normal.

What is the normal height of a rider? 5'-10"? Anyway, I did not want to get a cruiser, so this is the most comfortable bike that I sat on for my height. I know I will have problems on longer rides, but 150mi or less to date, is very doable for me.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
:noworries: here. You get used to everything being made for shorter people. Try riding in a plane or compact car. I have extra long legs, 38 inseam, so I am used to tucking with everything. I like the fit of the bike. I too would not mind some rear sets or something of that nature to lower the pegs a bit, and a seat that would pick it up a bit. However, for the money, I am happy the way it is. To me, 6'-0" to 6'-3" seems normal.

What is the normal height of a rider? 5'-10"? Anyway, I did not want to get a cruiser, so this is the most comfortable bike that I sat on for my height. I know I will have problems on longer rides, but 150mi or less to date, is very doable for me.

A cheap way to lower the pegs is to use Buell pegs. They have ~1" drop in them. Downside, no rubber insert. Also, may require some filing to fit properly.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
6 foot 5 Inches! Woot
I am pretty tall, but havent encountered any backproblems, just my legs and my butt, I think the other guys have the right idea though with the handlbars

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
How old are you guys? I'm 40, so maybe at 6'1" its not my height that gives me some discomfort on the bike....:(

I think that in the future (like, many moons from now ;-) I'll be stretching out on a cruiser. I've sat on a Yamaha V-Star 1100 - definitely the bike I'd be after.

Last edited:

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
How old are you guys? I'm 40, so maybe at 6'1" its not my height that gives me some discomfort on the bike....:(

I think that in the future (like, many moons from now ;-) I'll be stretching out on a cruiser. I've sat on a Yamaha V-Star 1100 - definitely the bike I'd be after.

33 years young. I will get a cruiser when the kids are out of the house, and the wife and I want to go for a ride together. She will not ride on the FZ.