Mod madness! New stuff on it's way Part 5!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, i am in full on "mod madness" mode right now! Lots of new stuff on the way from all corners of the globe it seems right now...as i spend this winter turning my black FZ6 into what i am calling a "Cafe Fighter", which is what the European Streetfighter call a fighter style bike...that has been modified in the spirit of the true Cafe Racers of the 60's...Clip-on handlebars, and pretty much a single seat unit, or rear seat cowl at the rear....

So....what's coming...

Well, i have already put up a thread about the Puig "Alien Cafe Racer" headlight/front screen unit i am not so patiently waiting for to arrive from Spain...has been 25 days since it was dispatched, so far...
View attachment 28139

the CF LED indicators i already have will mount off the new headlight unit, mount brackets.
View attachment 28140

I already have a set of Woodcraft Clip-on handle bar's to use, after i put on the new headlight/front screen unit.
View attachment 28141

And i have Rizoma Grips on their way to put on these clip-ons....Thanks Mav!
View attachment 28142

I already have decent CF bar ends, and Bar -end Mirrors, but may change either or both yet...
View attachment 28143

I have just had my TB's exhaust end caps powdercoated black...
View attachment 28144

And yesterday i pushed the go button on the following items...

Carbon Fibre Rear Hugger/Chain Guard
View attachment 28145

Carbon Fibre Front Fender
View attachment 28146

Carbon Fibre tank protector - large ( pictured item is not an FZ6 tank protector, but similar in size...the FZ6 LARGE protector will go as far up as the fuel cap, and go around the sides of the tank, including covering the whole area that is shaped for yur inner thigh's, and knee's to grip.). I will have this by the end of the week...
View attachment 28147

And yes, all items are real carbon fibre...and will finally make the Puig "CF" Bellypan i already have on the bike, make sense, and give it a link point at the front & rear of the bike with the CF fender, hugger, and also the CF tank protector!

I have also just ordered a smoked LED rear tail light unit.
View attachment 28148

And i have a set of black radiator panels coming from TCP.

But i am still up in the air as to which Aluminium Radiator Guard i am going to get....at this point.

The Hugger, Front fender, Radiator Panels from TCP, and the Smoked LED Tail light are all probably a month away from getting here...but the order is placed, and they are paid for!

Other stuff i will get sorted over Winter, is the Exhaust....maybe new headers from Akropovic???? or maybe i will just get the OEM headers, mid pipe, and TB's tail pipe (not the Ti cans) ceramic coated black! Decision still to be made on that!

And as for the engine mods....i still cant bring myself to push the go button on that....bike was supposed to go in 2 weeks ago to begin work, but i have backed off again...something is just not right about it...i am not 100% confident that it is the right thing to do...STILL! after 14 months of talking about it, researching it, costing it, and working on the logistics....there are still too many what if's?, and maybe's? for my liking!

Ozzieboy will tell you how tortured i am over the engine mods! :eek:

Anyway, all i know is that with the clip-ons, and limited steering lock that this will bring with the associated steering stops that will neded to be installed to stop the clip-ons hitting the tank when the bars are turned, the bike will be much different to ride...seating position will be very aggresive, and it wont feel anything like a normal FZ6!

I also know that the bike will look radically different with the Alien Cafe Racer headlight/screen unit....

And all the other bling, well that should just cap things off nicely IMHO!

Although some BST Carbon Wheels would be nice.... ;)

:D

Last edited:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to see the transformation. :thumbup:
You're going to have to get used to the 'What is it then mister' quite a lot! :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to see the transformation. :thumbup:
You're going to have to get used to the 'What is it then mister' quite a lot! :D

I get that now! Especially as FZ6's are pretty rare around these parts anyway, and mainly when i have the Tank Bra on the bike...hiding the Yamaha tuning fork logo on the tank! But your right! the new headlight & the clip-ons will really confuse people!

The headlight unit could still be unsuitable!!! It is pretty bloody big, especially as it incorporates a screen, and is nearly as wide as the FZ6 tank at it's widest point...the tank is about 25-30mm's wider on each side...

Am hoping that when i get the new headlight unit painted the same colour as the rest of the bike...it should not look quite as big, and as long as i can get the thing mounted close enough to the forks to keep the length of the front of it, still well behind the front of the front wheel of the bike...

:thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to see its new face mate. Nice one. I'm still at the very early mods stage - still waiting for my carbon LVs to arrive. It's killing me!

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
+1 on the carbon fibre! I've been watching that fender and hugger on eBay for a while now, just waiting to push the button... I'll follow this thread for a write up :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the carbon fibre! I've been watching that fender and hugger on eBay for a while now, just waiting to push the button... I'll follow this thread for a write up :thumbup:

Yeah, Me too, been looking and looking, and thinking for about 18 months now, and now i finally got the guts to push the button....

Will be making a bee-line straight to this forum to share my thoughts on the quality of these 2 items, about 2 minutes after i lay my grubby little hand on the both the Front fender, and the hugger!

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW.....You certainly have been busy buying up large. I think it will look sick when it's done, love all the carbon :drool:

I tried to talk Kazza into buying that hugger ages ago, but being new to modding bikes she was a bit dubious about forking out the bucks for something she has'nt seen...Although she's been making up for it lately ;)

As for the rims, BST's would be the go

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
you know how much i hate you right?

seeign as mine is now ****ed :(

be good to see it

screw the big bore kit
turbo the thing :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW.....You certainly have been busy buying up large. I think it will look sick when it's done, love all the carbon :drool:

I tried to talk Kazza into buying that hugger ages ago, but being new to modding bikes she was a bit dubious about forking out the bucks for something she has'nt seen...Although she's been making up for it lately ;)

As for the rims, BST's would be the go

Yes i have been very busy...I didnt include the Titamium & Stainless bolts i just went nuts with last week...replaced over 160 bolts at last count...only about 10% of the bike left to do with Titanium bolts mostly...And while i was there, any bolt that wasnt a Hex head, became a Hex head, and nut that was not a Nyloc nut....is now!

Oh and by the way, here is a photo of the TCP radiator panels, which i think will look very nice coupled with a stainless radiator guard!

Note...the Radiator Panel in this picture is obviously red, i have ordered it in the Same black as my tank...
View attachment 28152

As for the Radiator Guards...i am getting closer to a decision, it's either this one....
View attachment 28153

Or the same in black....

Or i could just about go for one of these "Tribal" Guards, found at the link below...i think they look sorta cool!
Disting : Boutique en ligne d'accessoires motos, distributeur DPM-race, tuning, grilles de radiateur/*Disting*/

Now that is different!

And yes, i have definitely noticed that Kazza has caught "Mod Fever"!!! Lol! Oh well, it's fun! and there's a lot worse things you could waste your money on!

And as for BST wheels.....maybe next year...i think i will have beaten the winter mod budget to a million little pieces, before this particular case of "Mod Fever" passes!!! And BST wheels are not cheap...well over $3500, if my memory serves me correctly!

:rockon:

Last edited:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything looks like its gonna be hot!!

wish i would have spoke up, i just found a guy who does "carbon fiber" stickers. From the pictures he has they look BAD A$$.
They are not glossy, but are suppose to be very durable, and without the huge carbon price...

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interested in the tank guard. I have a dent in mine and that may just be the thing to cover it up. Any contact info on the part?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

wish i would have spoke up, i just found a guy who does "carbon fiber" stickers. From the pictures he has they look BAD A$$.
They are not glossy, but are suppose to be very durable, and without the huge carbon price...

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Looks pretty decent, i wonder if you could put a coat of clear over the top, to make it look like 90% of the carbon products out there.

I have tried Carbon Vinyl, and it looks crap! But this stuff looks like it actually has a "texture".

Very interested in the tank guard. I have a dent in mine and that may just be the thing to cover it up. Any contact info on the part?

Geelong Carbon Craft in Australia....

OpenDNS

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
That is madness. I thought I was on my way with my new 600$ scorpions that took what felt like forEVER to save up for. I feel just ashamed now, way to put me down wolfman, thanks.

Haha only in good spirit though :) Sounds like a true work of art you've got on your hands there. Definitely post up some pics man, this intrigues me.

Maybe this is the wrong spot for this, but what do the clip-on handle bars do exactly? What are the benefits (other than cosmetic) if there are any?

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

What is the part that you put the sticker on?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is madness. I thought I was on my way with my new 600$ scorpions that took what felt like forEVER to save up for. I feel just ashamed now, way to put me down wolfman, thanks.

Haha only in good spirit though :) Sounds like a true work of art you've got on your hands there. Definitely post up some pics man, this intrigues me.

Maybe this is the wrong spot for this, but what do the clip-on handle bars do exactly? What are the benefits (other than cosmetic) if there are any?

Clip-ons....which are on just about every serious race bike, will put you over the front wheel more, giving you better feedback from the front wheel as a rider. As a rider, it also puts more of your weight over the front of the bike, improving traction, and also helping to keep the front end from lifting under power...

Not much of an explanation, and I am sure the more skilled riders amongst us, could explain it a lot better than that, and with more of the reasons it is so different to the very neutral riding position of a stock fz6.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update time....

Since i started this thread a few days ago....i have been waiting for Ebay/Paypal transactions to clear!

At this point, everything i bought of ebay should be on it's way in the next few days...i hope!

Having a few issues with the postage of the Puig Alien Cafe Racer headlight/fairing from Spain....there are very hazy details re the tracking number for the package, and i have made enquiries with the seller as to what's happening, and he has very unassuringly assured me that it is common for packages from Spain to take their "own sweet time"!!!! :eek:

Anyway, my very large real CF tank protector arrives tomorrow, express post from Geelong Carbon Craft in sunny Queensland!

Oh and i just found out about an hour ago that i "won" the Carbon Fibre Front Fender on Ebay! for the awesome price of $99US!!!! :D plus $35 shipping! :D

It's coming from the States, so it should get here reasonably quickly...

As for hugger, that's coming from England, so hopefully, that wont take too long either..

But the Smoked rear tail light is coming from Italy....hope they are not like their neighbours for posting stuff!

Oh, and i ordered a cheap set of Bar End Mirrors from Australia yesterday...only $35 for the pair....i needed ones that fitted a skinny 22mm Bar with 16mm inside diameter, which is what the Woodcraft clip-on's are.

View attachment 28283

Oh and Mav's Rizoma grips cant be too far away either...

Moving House/workshop this week, so it will be a race to get the workshop unpacked and set up at the new joint, so i can put all the new stuff on when it arrives.

:D