Michelin Pilot Road 3 are here!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe the front shredded too! That's just insane. I'm super happy with my Road 2's. Looks like I won't be getting the 3's when I'm due for new tires.

Hey Michelin, you reading this? Fix my bros bike and medical bills plus some or you've lost yet another customer!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.. I sincerely hope Michelin pays for this.. you should OWN that company when it's all over. This has got to be a case of non-existent quality control.
Hope you recover quickly and fully from your injuries.

Fizzled

Reaction score
Visit site
Saw this thread linked from another forum.... have to ask.

What pressure were you running exactly?

Have you checked your pressure gauge in comparison to another gauge or two?

I'm having a pretty hard time imagining what kind of tire defect could result in an overheating tire. I can see the sipes of the III vs II causing the tire to warm up faster/hotter VS a PRII but not hot enough to get to the point where you're ripping chunks off the tire and it falls apart on BOTH ends.

We're talking two different tire sizes here. The tires you got didn't come from the same line and you experienced failures on both ends. Yet, you're also the only failure anyone's heard of from this tire yet. The only thing consistent between both tires is going to be the pressures you choose and/or the gauge since no one else has had this sort of failure yet that I've seen.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw this thread linked from another forum.... have to ask.

What pressure were you running exactly?

Have you checked your pressure gauge in comparison to another gauge or two?

I'm having a pretty hard time imagining what kind of tire defect could result in an overheating tire. I can see the sipes of the III vs II causing the tire to warm up faster/hotter VS a PRII but not hot enough to get to the point where you're ripping chunks off the tire and it falls apart on BOTH ends.

We're talking two different tire sizes here. The tires you got didn't come from the same line and you experienced failures on both ends. Yet, you're also the only failure anyone's heard of from this tire yet. The only thing consistent between both tires is going to be the pressures you choose and/or the gauge since no one else has had this sort of failure yet that I've seen.

While I certainly see your point, his tire pressures would have been so hugely out of the normal range to be the cause of this. Even if he were running say 10 psi off the recommend pressures, a tire should never throw chunks of rubber off the tread like this or have catastrophic failure. While I certainly see your point that to have both tires go through it seems unusual/unlikely, it obviously has happened here.

Fizzled

Reaction score
Visit site
While I certainly see your point, his tire pressures would have been so hugely out of the normal range to be the cause of this. Even if he were running say 10 psi off the recommend pressures, a tire should never throw chunks of rubber off the tread like this or have catastrophic failure. While I certainly see your point that to have both tires go through it seems unusual/unlikely, it obviously has happened here.

I agree, it'd have to be pretty far off and I think there'd be other factors to notice like a feeling that the bike handles like butt when you have ~15 PSI in the tires. Though, this seems so alien on a modern tire I'd ALMOST say it's an impossibility to happen to both tires notwithstanding an unaccounted for factor at play.

In all these posts no one's thought to ask what he set the pressure to (or what pressure he thinks he set to). You would think with a failure like this the first thing you would say to implicate defect related tire failure would be, "I checked the tires daily and made sure they were at XX PSI" Instead, he just said they were 'spot on.' All that tells me is that he fills to a consistent pressure according to a single gauge.

Without seeing his tire gauge in person and knowing for a fact what pressures he set to, you can't rule out improper pressure either due to incorrect gauge or incorrect inflation pressures as much as I can rule out a defect. We're both just speculating really without input from the poster with the failure or some other independent evaluation.

As with most problems I think it's best to start with the most simplest test though, right? The accuracy of his gauge is easy to test as is asking him what pressures he set to. Only after that can we go further to evaluate the plausibility of catastrophic tire failure occurring TWICE from two tires that have no possibility of being from the same batch when thousands of other Fr/R PRIIIs are currently in service without fault?

EDIT:

Though, I do suspect that since he's seeking to recover damages from Michelin he may not admit if he does find his gauge to be faulty or was deliberately setting to a too-low PSI. In which case, the only testament we can possibly have to the plausibility of a defect would be time; see if anyone else has issues.

Last edited:

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
I agree, it'd have to be pretty far off and I think there'd be other factors to notice like a feeling that the bike handles like butt when you have ~15 PSI in the tires. Though, this seems so alien on a modern tire I'd ALMOST say it's an impossibility to happen to both tires notwithstanding an unaccounted for factor at play.

In all these posts no one's thought to ask what he set the pressure to (or what pressure he thinks he set to). You would think with a failure like this the first thing you would say to implicate defect related tire failure would be, "I checked the tires daily and made sure they were at XX PSI" Instead, he just said they were 'spot on.' All that tells me is that he fills to a consistent pressure according to a single gauge.

Without seeing his tire gauge in person and knowing for a fact what pressures he set to, you can't rule out improper pressure either due to incorrect gauge or incorrect inflation pressures as much as I can rule out a defect. We're both just speculating really without input from the poster with the failure or some other independent evaluation.

As with most problems I think it's best to start with the most simplest test though, right? The accuracy of his gauge is easy to test as is asking him what pressures he set to. Only after that can we go further to evaluate the plausibility of catastrophic tire failure occurring TWICE from two tires that have no possibility of being from the same batch when thousands of other Fr/R PRIIIs are currently in service without fault?

EDIT:

Though, I do suspect that since he's seeking to recover damages from Michelin he may not admit if he does find his gauge to be faulty or was deliberately setting to a too-low PSI. In which case, the only testament we can possibly have to the plausibility of a defect would be time; see if anyone else has issues.

I have both tires in my possession and will make them available to Michelin for inspection, as well as my day to day tire pressure guage and my el cheapo digital back up.

I run my tires at 33 front 36 rear and am SUPER critical of this due to an accident a few years ago involving my 06 Mustang GT on the interstate at speeds over 130+. Border line OCD about tire pressure. Every morning I check tire pressure, any visible fluid leaks, visible tire debris, chain slack (not exact just pinch it to make double sure), and a few bolts that scare me here and there. It's a habit. One walk around the bike for 45 seconds can save your life.

I've checked my tire gauge against my cheap back up, and three friend's. It is spot on and like I said, both gauges are available to Michelin for inspection if they so incline. My bike as well since it is un-drivable.

I'm documenting and photoing EVERYTHING.

Michelin's response via they's facebook was "We'll be in contact"...

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site

EDIT:

While tire pressure "could" be a factor, I sincerely doubt that is the cause of this failure X2. Given you just joined the forum and Michelin now knows of this issue, I seriously question where you are coming from.. hmmm Mr. Michelin rep???

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many folks get their tire gauges calibrated? And or use two different gauges to check tire pressure?

Obviously that would be the "Spot On" thing to do.

To be honest, I do not. However running Michelin's for the past 50,000 plus miles on my bike, my tire pressure remains pretty consistent. I will have to add some air every two-three months as I begin to lose 2-3 psi. But again, everyone's wheels could be different as well as their valve stems.

I too have posted this link onto my local forum. Caught some attention, everyone is waiting to see how the company responds.

Fleksta

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I am glad you're okay man! I just had a set of these installed on my bike a week ago. This situation has me conflicted as I have not heard of a single complaint regarding the PR3; hopefully we get some sort of response from Michelin.

Fizzled

Reaction score
Visit site
While tire pressure "could" be a factor, I sincerely doubt that is the cause of this failure X2. Given you just joined the forum and Michelin now knows of this issue, I seriously question where you are coming from.. hmmm Mr. Michelin rep???

No, I just saw it linked on my FZ1 forum and saw all the posts of people refusing to now buy this tire because of this highly anomalous experience. My interest in this situation is purely out of curiosity since it's so bizarre.

Though, you're free to have a conspiracy theory if you like. Does this board have a tinfoil smilie?

Fizzled

Reaction score
Visit site
I have both tires in my possession and will make them available to Michelin for inspection, as well as my day to day tire pressure guage and my el cheapo digital back up.

I run my tires at 33 front 36 rear and am SUPER critical of this due to an accident a few years ago involving my 06 Mustang GT on the interstate at speeds over 130+. Border line OCD about tire pressure. Every morning I check tire pressure, any visible fluid leaks, visible tire debris, chain slack (not exact just pinch it to make double sure), and a few bolts that scare me here and there. It's a habit. One walk around the bike for 45 seconds can save your life.

I've checked my tire gauge against my cheap back up, and three friend's. It is spot on and like I said, both gauges are available to Michelin for inspection if they so incline. My bike as well since it is un-drivable.

I'm documenting and photoing EVERYTHING.

Michelin's response via they's facebook was "We'll be in contact"...

Then if what you say is true we should be seeing several other people crashing due to PRIII failure soon. Unless your argument is you got the only 2 bad PRIIIs in existence? If you're correct I hope you do recover from Michelin.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Then if what you say is true we should be seeing several other people crashing due to PRIII failure soon. Unless your argument is you got the only 2 bad PRIIIs in existence? If you're correct I hope you do recover from Michelin.

If you will notice, not one time have I said "Michelin deserves to pay" not one time have I said "Michelin is at fault".

All I have said is WHAT IS MICHELIN'S RESPONSE.

I have no argument regarding whether the tires are bad or not. I LOVED the tires and praised them very highly on numerous threads. I pre-ordered them before their release because of brand loyalty. They stuck like glue to the road. However, when I have a failure like this and ask the company what's going on here, and they clam up, I begin to wonder.

I bought a new tire out of my pocket the first time the tire failed a few days prior. THEN, I left them the old tire for their inspection. The local rep did not even pick it up. When the issue of warranty came up, I did not bat a lash when the warranty was not honored. I bought my new tire, and went about my business. When the second tire failed in the exact same manner with numerous witnesses in our caravan, then I began to wonder.

The attorneys I have talked to are salivating at the chance to jump on this. But i have NOT moved forward on anything legal. I have made it blatantly known to Michelin and everyone here that the tires, my tire gauge, and the bike are available for inspection. i double checked my tire gauge with my el cheapo digital on multiple bike tires as well as against friends gauges.

The conspiracy theory crap can take a back seat.

For that matter, anyone else in the Slidell area that would like to come inspect the bike, tires, and gauge, come right ahead. I have nothing to hide.

Am I wary of the PR III's? **** YEAH. Will I buy them again? NOT until extensive testing has been done and their reliability proven.

I ride my FZ6 no less than 110 miles EVERY SINGLE DAY. Rain, Shine, Sleet, or Hail. I don't buy cheap tires and expect the world of them. I buy the best tires I can because I USE the tire. I spent nearly 700 dollars on this pair. I expected them to hold up to their advertised claims. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Fizzled

Reaction score
Visit site
If you will notice, not one time have I said "Michelin deserves to pay" not one time have I said "Michelin is at fault".

All I have said is WHAT IS MICHELIN'S RESPONSE.

The attorneys I have talked to are salivating at the chance to jump on this.

Generally people only sue, or entertain the idea of suing, when they feel they've been faulted by another party. That may not be the case but it's a logical conclusion when you mention you're pursuing (potentially?) legal recourse.

Are you saying that if Michelin responds satisfactorily to your inquiry, whatever direction that may go, of an investigation you're not going to sue them for damages?

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Generally people only sue, or entertain the idea of suing, when they feel they've been faulted by another party. That may not be the case but it's a logical conclusion when you mention you're pursuing (potentially?) legal recourse.

Are you saying that if Michelin responds satisfactorily to your inquiry, whatever direction that may go, of an investigation you're not going to sue them for damages?

I'm not saying either way what my intentions are yet. I don't even know...

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW WTF!! i was about to pull the trigger on these tires...omg im glad i didnt!! i hope your feeling better!

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to get the 3's, but couldn't find them back in March, so I found a set of 2's and have been loving them for close to 4k miles now. I really want to see how Michelin handles this, because I want to feel confident enough in the 3's to get a set when these 2's wear out.

As unlikely as it may be that he just got the only bad pair, having your rear tire turn to goo on the freeway would probably scare the sh_t out of me, and to then have the front shred a few weeks later causing him to wad the bike and go through a car window... this guy is shaken up, and he SHOULD be. His tires catastrophically failed him. Don't gimme this "maybe 2 psi one way or another" crap. No dice. If he was within 6 or 8 psi of his mark (and we have strong, strong reason to believe he was) then there is NO excuse for those tires failing like that.

I know Michelin is a big company with a big legal department, and I know things take a long time to trickle in, filter through departments, and then have some kind of response crafted. I don't expect them (realistically) to come whipping back with a perfect answer, but when they DO answer it had better be professional and apologetic. He went through a damned window.

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
That may be the case, I doubt very many people have put 10k on these brand new tires in the heat of summer yet!

I know some people ride more than others, but in excess of 10k in a couple months if really riding. So I'd be on the lookout once more people in hot areas start racking up the miles on them...

Status
Not open for further replies.