Met The Pavement This Morning

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
...and that can end up being more valuable than full gear. So many overdrive/ride their reaction/stopping distance (gotta keep other from cutting in or ...?) Thanks for a great post!

Good point! And, their perception time.

Sometimes it's just fun to sit back and watch the caos in front of you, pick a gap and go.

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Any accident you don't get seriously injured in is a good accident. If you hit the van how closely where you fallowing it?

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
A good rule of thumb is a 2 sec following distance. We are constantly adjusting this due to speed, weather conditions, road conditions and traffic. Of course, in heavy traffic there's no way to maintain 2 sec. What other options do we have?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
A good rule of thumb is a 2 sec following distance. We are constantly adjusting this due to speed, weather conditions, road conditions and traffic. Of course, in heavy traffic there's no way to maintain 2 sec. What other options do we have?

Some motorists seem to get upset if I maintain a safe distance from vehicle in front. You can just sense it, they may tailgate (even more reason to open more distance to avoid getting rear-ended) or make a big effort all just to switch lanes, then return to same lane but now in front. All this so motorist can arrive maybe 1 or 2 seconds quicker than I....;) That's okay, because I don't want to be part of another multiple vehicle accident where motorists, one after another, all slam into motorist in front due to unsafe following distance.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Some motorists seem to get upset if I maintain a safe distance from vehicle in front. You can just sense it, they may tailgate (even more reason to open more distance to avoid getting rear-ended) or make a big effort all just to switch lanes, then return to same lane but now in front. All this so motorist can arrive maybe 1 or 2 seconds quicker than I....;) That's okay, because I don't want to be part of another multiple vehicle accident where motorists, one after another, all slam into motorist in front due to unsafe following distance.

Absolutely! Now you have to provide a safe following distance for you AND the cager behind ya.

Anything else we can do? How about lane placement?

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Update, sourced most all the parts and the red plastic from Koozi is at the paint shop. Hope to have the bike all fixed up and back on the road soon:rockon:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

This happens to me, too. I find if I just sit in the right lane going slightly slower than the guy in front of me, people will eventually pass me but they maintain the faster guy's speed, so it works.

This just made me want to quantify the value of speeding. If you are traveling a distance of d miles and you are going 70+x miles per hour, then you get to your destination 60*d/70-60*d/(70+x) minutes faster than if you were going 70. For large distances you do save a lot of time by going 75 or 80, but for a 15 mile journey up the interstate 80 miles per hour saves you about 1.6 minutes over going 70. Is it really worth it?

Last edited: