Melty, how could this happen?

derp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. I'm new here. I just got this 07 FZ6 a few days ago, and my curiosity won't let this little thing go. I can't figure out how in the world this plastic could have melted in such a way. On the tail light lens, especially. It's got a pattern melted into it that looks like some sort of fabric or mesh. Does this look familiar to anyone else?

NE7va.jpg

j05l7.jpg

Jabarker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm... I'm stumped. Did you buy it that way? Maybe the previous owner took it apart for a mod and got the pieces too close to something hot? :don'tknow:

Anyways :welcome:

no.1partsguy

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you take the seat off? Did it melt anything under it? I dont see how the exhaust could have gotten that hot... Do you run with a set of saddle bags on? do you have a different taillight bulb in the bike? is the socket for the taillight melted? Sorry to ask all the questions just need more info.

derp

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you take the seat off? Did it melt anything under it? I dont see how the exhaust could have gotten that hot... Do you run with a set of saddle bags on? do you have a different taillight bulb in the bike? is the socket for the taillight melted? Sorry to ask all the questions just need more info.

That's the thing, I bought it this way. Nothing on or under the seat is melted. Just these two plastic pieces in the photos, the lens and the trim around the exhaust shielding. I haven't even ridden it for more than a few miles so far. It's been raining, as you can see in the pictures, for days now.

derp

Reaction score
Visit site
:confused: you didn't ask the seller when you bought it?

Yeah, I did ask the seller. He only had the bike for 3 months total, he said it was like that when he got it also. Sounds like the most plausible thing is that something covered the exhaust, like you said. I'm not too worried about it, I was more curious about it. I got a killer deal on this bike, very happy with the purchase. If only the weather would clear up.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
In all seriousness, I would guess that the original owner had perhaps taken the rear end plastics off (perhaps when putting on the FE kit) and put them too close to a garage heater?

Interesting little mystery. Good news is you can purchase a new rear lens. Not sure about the other bit.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bet what happened was there was a rag with acetone, lacquer thinner, or like naptha soaked on a rag and it was laid in the lens and draped onto the lower plastic. It's a chemical melt not a heat melt.
The pattern is from the rag material making an impression.
The only other explanation is what Boneman said on the laser shark...Effin sharks! :rof:

Razer

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking the acetone thing for the lens, but after seeing the bottom plastic I would assume someone threw their jacket over the seat, hanging over the back of the bike. Heat built up melting the black plastic, and the lens. The coat fabric would then leave the impression on the lens.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had some Really Hot Chic's that did stuff like that! Never melted my bike tho! haha. . . :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any Check Engine Light or anything like that?

A rich running engine or one with an exhaust leak allowing air into it will make the catalytic converter way hot which makes the exhaust way hotter!

Although I'd like to subscribe to my own hot chic theory, its the exhaust heat from some other condition and the jacket or something like that laying on it to make a pattern.

Any fuel additives in the tank recently????