• degrease it? Get a life - never!!!!

Votes: 18 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me & chains just dont seem to get along.....

First OEM 530 chain only lasted 16000km's, and my second 520 chain (did the 520 conversion), lasted me about 25000km's....

Now i wash my bike a lot! but always lube the chain straight away...

I sometimes use a bit of degreaser around the rear wheel, and sprocket, as i like to keep things clean, but always lube the chain after...

But i like to do a bit of touring...and when intouring mode, i tend to get a bit slack with lubing the chain...for instance, my last trip to Phillip Island (about 2500km's return), i didnt lube my chain the whole time i was away...

Result - Dead chain!

:(

Seems as chain maintenance can save your chain. I am interested about your Vic ride.
Why didn't you lube the chain regularly?
No lube on hand?
Couldn't be bothered?
Don't know how?

Some of my friends have shaft drive bikes but hey, I reckon a bike should have a chain!! Those shaft drive bikes are cruisers, not sport bikes.

So yesterday cost me 2 hours, some smelly rags, a litre of kero and some new lube. I never realised that if you don't lube your chain it wears out quicker, I just thought, 'I don't want a chain failing on me in the boondocks, look after it bro!'

This forum certainly is a great database of info for our bikes. I appreciate your comments.
Peter

Normally, i lube the chain, just about every time i go out on the bike, as these days, i mostly only use the bike for decent length Sports Rides...

Why did'nt i lube the chain when i was away....a number of reasons, all basically stemming from the fact that i was on Holiday, and was in slack ba$tard mode!

Could'nt be bothered, cause my bike has no centre stand, and my race stand was not available....did'nt feel like to doing the ol balancing act on the side stand to rotate rear wheel...

Could'nt be bothered, cause i was too busy, drinking, eating, watching bike racing, dodging angry, drunken "Mexicans", sleeping, and more importantly, riding!!!! riding lots!

It's not the first time i have done it! :(

Except this time, i needed to change both front & rear sprockets too! :(

I should no better, in fact i do know better... :(

:thumbup:

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my bike for over 2 years now, haven't degreased the chain once so far. Used to lube my chain once a month cuz I didn't know any better. But now its every couple of weeks. I usually use PJ1 Black Label. Good stuff except its really really really really sticky. Soap and water has a very hard time cleaning it off.

But since I'm in school my instructor has told me that he dont use any normal chainlube at all. WD40 is the route he takes. He cleans his chain with it and then just sprays it down every fill up. Hasn't had a problem yet and he's quite seasoned. He's even done it on his race bikes, this is coming from a guy thats been Factory Ducati for years.

What he says is quite true, just about all chain lubes attracts dirt, grime, road debris etc. WD40 doesn't attract all those things. I'm trying it and so far so good and Im in school at Florida right now so I have sand to contend with and since I've only put WD40 on it haven't had any problems so far and nothings stuck on the chain and no sling off. :thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting theory on the WD-40, I'd like to hear other comments about it. I'd be worried that it contains no lubricating properties whatsoever, hence a greater chance of links seizing up and/or wearing prematurely.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I've had my bike for over 2 years now, haven't degreased the chain once so far. Used to lube my chain once a month cuz I didn't know any better. But now its every couple of weeks. I usually use PJ1 Black Label. Good stuff except its really really really really sticky. Soap and water has a very hard time cleaning it off.

But since I'm in school my instructor has told me that he dont use any normal chainlube at all. WD40 is the route he takes. He cleans his chain with it and then just sprays it down every fill up. Hasn't had a problem yet and he's quite seasoned. He's even done it on his race bikes, this is coming from a guy thats been Factory Ducati for years.

What he says is quite true, just about all chain lubes attracts dirt, grime, road debris etc. WD40 doesn't attract all those things. I'm trying it and so far so good and Im in school at Florida right now so I have sand to contend with and since I've only put WD40 on it haven't had any problems so far and nothings stuck on the chain and no sling off. :thumbup:

I would like to hear others opinions on this also.
I use WD-40 for DE-greasing only, so i'm a bit afraid that it would do damage to an o-ring chain.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the WD40 idea for me seemed a bit crazy too, worried about the lubricating properties. But coming from my instructor who is very very experienced in bikes (since he has I think over 40 to 50 yrs experience). All he's ever used is WD40 for his road and race bikes. Never once had a problem be it a non o-ring chain or o-ring.

He had a friend who did an iron butt comp. Think it was about 10 or 15000 miles. All that used was WD40.

But I certainly do understand the concerns. Especially since chains themselves aint cheap. Hard to justify using only WD40 and you wont ever have problems. But I'm doin this experiment myself to see first hand if it has any ill affects. So far so good, only got about 200 odd miles on it and so problems.

Just a side note o-ring chains are already prefilled with a grease from the factory. The rings are their to "seal" the grease and let nothing get to the pins in the chain. And my instructor proved this however much we argued the fact that nothing gets past those o/x-rings. Chain lubes don't penetrate past the rings to lubricate the pins that do the lubrication. So over time as the chain wears the grease inside the o-ring gets out and the pins lose thier lubrication. Instructor pulled out an o-ring chain that always lubed with "chain lube" and pulled the links apart to expose the o-rings and the pins. They were slightly rusted and dry. But this is not to say all chains will do this.

Everyone here more than likely use a chain lube of some kind and used lube for years and have had no issues. I'm not saying I'm right and that chain lube is a waste of money, but continue to use what have and I'll experiment.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i must be so anal. I clean and grease my chain every other week. The sprocket and chain look like they came right out of the crate.