Maybe Selling the FZ6 to Buy a FZ1

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of purchasing an FZ1. Found a new 2006 with zero miles on it and talked them down to $6150 and wondering if I should pull the trigger. I know some of you own a FZ1, how do the bikes compare. Was the insurance higher. Is $6,150 a good price. I haven't told the wife yet so that might be my next big hurtle.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't regretted it at all. I love my FZ1.
As far as insurance goes, it didn't change much for me in that area, but you should call to get some quotes.....
Good Luck :thumbup:

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Well... I think it depends on what you want. Why are you wanting the 1? Do you want more power?

I'll be honest, I love my fz6 but my next bike will not be a fz (1 or 6). My next bike will be 1,000 CC's and a race model (CBR, R1, GSXR, or a busa...). But that's because I want some torque out of the bigger motor, and the speed too. I'm not completely old...

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just want the torque of the bigger bike and the FZ1 has a better suspension. I'm a little concern about insurance because here in Ontario bike type and size can hike rates outrageously.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My insurance went DOWN. I know it makes no sense, but who am I to argue with the company :D

Few things to keep in mind:

2006 was first model year. For 07, fuel map was updated to smooth out throttle roll on and 06 comes with a stiffer rear spring. Now.. you're used to FZ6 so even 06 FZ1 will feel like the off/on throttle is smoother, so I wouldn't be too concerned :) . Stiffer spring is not a bad thing, especially if you do any 2-up riding.

Price is good, but have you considered going for a used one? I picked up 07 with 8k miles on it in basically new shape (and several expensive mods) for $5k.

Reasons to get FZ1:
1. Better fork
2. Less vibration
3. Much more progressive clutch
4. Better headlights (proper reflectors on both sides for low/high beam)
5. Power! Loads more torque AND power .. it's a much *lazier* bike.. there's no need to rev it out to make it go. Having said that, the power really is not brutal.
6. Much better aftermarket parts selection.

Reasons to keep FZ6:

1. It's a damn fine bike that can do everything well and in my opinion is easier to throw around in turns.
2. FZ6 is lighter (though not by much, but it certainly feels lighter).
3. FZ6 gets much better fuel eco (~45 vs ~35).

Not a complete list, but at least some of my ideas. All in all, I'm very happy with FZ1, but I was very happy with FZ6 too. Both great bikes.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well... I think it depends on what you want. Why are you wanting the 1? Do you want more power?

I'll be honest, I love my fz6 but my next bike will not be a fz (1 or 6). My next bike will be 1,000 CC's and a race model (CBR, R1, GSXR, or a busa...). But that's because I want some torque out of the bigger motor, and the speed too. I'm not completely old...

Have you ridden an FZ1? I did.....:D

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't ride that many miles and want more power it's a tough call.

If it were me I'd be weighing these drawbacks:

#1: $2,500 more out of my pocket (if I can only get $4,000 for my FZ6)
#2: Likely higher insurance rates
#3: spending quite a bit more on gasoline (My FZ6 gets 50 mpg commuting)
#4: buying tires even more frequently (more torque)
#5: higher chance of crashing (hard not to twist that throttle when there is more power on tap!)
#6: likely fallout from the wife!

These reasons are why I have had my FZ6 since 2006! :thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
My insurance went DOWN. I know it makes no sense, but who am I to argue with the company :D

Few things to keep in mind:

2006 was first model year. For 07, fuel map was updated to smooth out throttle roll on and 06 comes with a stiffer rear spring. Now.. you're used to FZ6 so even 06 FZ1 will feel like the off/on throttle is smoother, so I wouldn't be too concerned :) . Stiffer spring is not a bad thing, especially if you do any 2-up riding.

Price is good, but have you considered going for a used one? I picked up 07 with 8k miles on it in basically new shape (and several expensive mods) for $5k.

Reasons to get FZ1:
1. Better fork
2. Less vibration
3. Much more progressive clutch
4. Better headlights (proper reflectors on both sides for low/high beam)
5. Power! Loads more torque AND power .. it's a much *lazier* bike.. there's no need to rev it out to make it go. Having said that, the power really is not brutal.
6. Much better aftermarket parts selection.

Reasons to keep FZ6:

1. It's a damn fine bike that can do everything well and in my opinion is easier to throw around in turns.
2. FZ6 is lighter (though not by much, but it certainly feels lighter).
3. FZ6 gets much better fuel eco (~45 vs ~35).

Not a complete list, but at least some of my ideas. All in all, I'm very happy with FZ1, but I was very happy with FZ6 too. Both great bikes.

Nice Erci! I'd look for a slightly used 08 or newer, plenty out there. You did forget better brakes too.

I really enjoyed my FZ1 for the 15k miles I put on it and it is way cheaper and easier to maintain than oh, let's say a KTM?? However the fun factor of my Katoom is much higher....:D

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have thought a lot about the FZ6 and what to get if/when replacing it. What I like about the FZ6:

Light - easy to flick around
Fun - geared low enough to have a little fun going up thru the gears
Gas mileage - like the 50MPG have been getting
Commuter/Sport/Touring Bike

Have thought about the FZ1, Ninja 1000, newer FZ6, CBR600RR, Triumph 675.

The liter bikes are geared pretty high so if getting on them and running thru the gears I would be WAY over the speed limit. 600's are about as quick to 100 which is pretty quick for the street and since my wife won't let me near the track except for a parade lap I don't need a real high top speed - she has seen too many of my crash photos. One of my dreams is to take a tour of the west on my bike and would take any of the bikes above on it.

Yamaha hit a really sweet spot with the FZ6 and I keep coming back to it but if it was another bike it would be either the Triumph or the CBR600RR.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't ride that many miles and want more power it's a tough call.

If it were me I'd be weighing these drawbacks:

#1: $2,500 more out of my pocket (if I can only get $4,000 for my FZ6)
#2: Likely higher insurance rates
#3: spending quite a bit more on gasoline (My FZ6 gets 50 mpg commuting)
#4: buying tires even more frequently (more torque)
#5: higher chance of crashing (hard not to twist that throttle when there is more power on tap!)
#6: likely fallout from the wife!

These reasons are why I have had my FZ6 since 2006! :thumbup:

Right now #6 is the one I worry about the most. I haven't even mentioned it yet but better do it soon because it's still warm outside. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have thought a lot about the FZ6 and what to get if/when replacing it. What I like about the FZ6:

Light - easy to flick around
Fun - geared low enough to have a little fun going up thru the gears
Gas mileage - like the 50MPG have been getting
Commuter/Sport/Touring Bike

Have thought about the FZ1, Ninja 1000, newer FZ6, CBR600RR, Triumph 675.

The liter bikes are geared pretty high so if getting on them and running thru the gears I would be WAY over the speed limit. 600's are about as quick to 100 which is pretty quick for the street and since my wife won't let me near the track except for a parade lap I don't need a real high top speed - she has seen too many of my crash photos. One of my dreams is to take a tour of the west on my bike and would take any of the bikes above on it.

Yamaha hit a really sweet spot with the FZ6 and I keep coming back to it but if it was another bike it would be either the Triumph or the CBR600RR.

Excellent point about gearing. Easily *fixed* by swapping out to a larger rear or smaller front cog, but you better be real smooth with your throttle or it's gonna bite!

The super-tall gearing was weird at first and I almost found the bike *boring* because there really was no need to go through the gears for spirited road riding. I've gotten used to it now and I have to admit I actually love it.

If you're considering it, best thing to do is to take one for a spin and make an educated decision :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're considering it, best thing to do is to take one for a spin and make an educated decision :thumbup:

I never test drive vehicles I'm considering until I'm 100% ready to commit with the cash in hand....

Once you try something new and awesome you will WANT it. Even if it's not in your best interest. :BLAA:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
That's sick!

And if I ever tire of mine, (or most likely pass it on to my son), that is EXACTLY whatI plan to do too!!! :rockon: