A strange/awesome turn of events...

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
So many of you know that I had been contemplating selling my recently purchased FZ6, of which I just bought the end of last summer and began to mod over the winter. Well, I had decided that I would concentrate more on my family and upcoming baby boy that is due in April. So I put the bike up for sale last week.

All along a co worker was telling me about this bike....which I figured would be out of my price range.....and a bad idea to pursue with an upcoming baby. His son has a lot of $ and had bought a NEW 2007 FZ1 back in the beginning of 08. He put an Akrapovic Carbon Muffler on it, Smoke Window, and Fender Eliminator. He rode it for 1,700 miles. He has a harley, and newly purchased Nissan GT-R so the FZ1 is for sale down here in my local shop, on consignment. In the back of my head I kept thinking....."Man I would LOVE to have that bike....if I could just sell mine and get my wife to be ok with it!!" Then my senses came to me, and I came to peace with just selling my FZ6 and concentrating on the family for the next few months. Once the little one is born, we can get through the first few months and Ill get another bike later this year. Hold that thought.......

On Friday the FZ6 sold to a proud new owner locally, just down the highway in Springfield, IL. He was a newer rider, and very excited to pick up the bike. I got what I wanted for it, and he got what he felt was a great deal on a great bike....so we were both happy!

I hadn't told the wife that I was selling the bike, figured with the stress of getting the baby room painted/decorated, our 3 year old's room decorated, and painting and decorating our master bedroom would be enough.....she didn't care to hear about me selling my bike. Right?

So anyways......I figured she would see when she pulled into the garage last night from work the bike was gone. I waited....and no comments. We went to the store last night....still no comments. I didn't say anything last night to her, figured I would see if she mentioned it today. Well we left to run errands this morning, and again twice.....no comments. IT WAS KILLING ME....so I told her today after we got home from lunch and put the kid down for a nap. I asked her if she noticed anything missing in the garage....so she walked to the door and opened it.....turned to me and said "Where is your bike? Did you SELL your bike? You LOVED that bike.....WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

I told her that I wanted to be available for our family, and looked forward to the baby boy being born in april. We then talked and she agreed that I shouldn't have sold the bike, and that motorcycles are a part of me.....she thought I was crazy! She knew I loved the FZ6 and was sad for me that I let it go. So I risked it all and told her about the FZ1 deal that my co worker presented. She and I work at the same place, and she knows the guy who is selling it. She said that I had to pursue getting the FZ1, she new I wouldn't be happy without a bike in the garage to ride....and wanted me to call him.

ANYWAYS.....I called him today...worked out a price....and....

I BOUGHT AN FZ1!

I am amazed how this all worked out, but couldn't be more excited. I got a CRAZY GOOD DEAL on the bike, and was encouraged by my wife even during the hard first days home from the hospital that she wanted me to get some free time to ride. I pick the bike up this week sometime, have to get the rest of the money from the bank, and they needed to charge the battery that was a little low from sitting.

So without further delay.....

My new Bike!!!

2007 Yamaha FZ1
1,700 miles
Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Muffler
Smoke Windscreen
Fender Eliminator

Comes with all stock parts too. Sorry about the lousy pics, there the ones off of the dealer website!

Anyways....looks like Ill be heading over to the sister forum to check out the info over there!

:thumbup:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
my mom didnt notice when my bike was in the shop for the tps sensor recall, but she sure as sh!t noticed the day I brought it home!
women's minds work in mysterious ways lol:BLAA:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, great story. Props to you for putting the family first and even more to you wife for knowing what riding means to you.

It's great to have a wife that supports your mc habit, mine is is great about bikes and it only cost me a horse, trailer, tack , feed etc. :eek:

Man are you going to like the FZ1, looks like you scored a good clean machine.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, great story. Props to you for putting the family first and even more to you wife for knowing what riding means to you.

It's great to have a wife that supports your mc habit, mine is is great about bikes and it only cost me a horse, trailer, tack , feed etc. :eek:

Man are you going to like the FZ1, looks like you scored a good clean machine.

Doug,
You have to bring yours down sometime! :BLAA:

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Im really excited about getting the new bike this week. Its supposed to snow tomorrow and possibly Tuesday, so its looking like the end of the week will be the soonest that I will be able to get it home. Im dying to get it out of the show room and into my garage, but not at the expense of riding on the nasty salt covered roads and in the frigid temps/snow.

Im very humbled and blessed to have a great wife that encourages me to keep my hobby. I love motorcycles, and have had a lot in my riding career. I love riding them, working on them, talking about them, helping my friends with their bikes, pretty much everything regarding motorcycles.

I have to stop by the bank tomorrow and get the money for the bike, then stop by the shop and pay for it. They're going to take the battery out and put a charge on it, since it was a bit low from sitting for a few months. Then to decide when the weather will allow the short ride home, its less than 2 miles through town and a 5 minute ride.

Ill keep you all updated when I go tomorrow to finish up everything....and HOPEFULLY snap a couple better pictures too!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well that worked out well in the end. Welcome to the dark side!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So you got extra brownie points with the wifey, and a new bike....

I'm taking notes. ;)

Congrats, and Congrats on the new, upcoming family member too!

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a great true story! Your motives couldn't have been any more noble than that! My wife won't get on the back of my FZ6 (she doesn't want to die, so she says) but when I mentioned I was thinking of selling my bike, she didn't like the idea! "You love riding that thing and its so therapeutic for you...are you sure that's a good idea?" she says. Go figure!
Thanks for sharing!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
its nice that you got the fz1 and what an fz1! but the story behind it is much better. your wife's a champ.

come to think of it..it never really crossed my mind at how many good supportive wives/gf the forum has!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny because I know your conscious mind is telling you that your story is valid.

Your subconsious mind had it planned all along. It just wanted the extra ponies from the litrebike engine.

Good on ya.....ya manipulative bugger.

:)

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, you guys all crack me up!

And yes the wife is an amazing woman and I'm very lucky and blessed to have her in my life. When we started dating 8 years ago I think she knew I had a love for powersports because at the time I had a 99 Suzuki marauder, a 90 Yamaha radian, and a pair of 98 Kawasaki 900zxi jet ski's. We had a lot of fun riding the jet ski's on the river and she would even ride the bikes as long as it wasn't further than around the Peoria area.

She will still get on the back, but with little ones we don't get a lot of time to ride together. It's mostly just me and my good friends that get out once in a while. The last time she rode was to 4th of July fireworks down at the riverfront. There's always a huge crowd and mess of cars, and the bikes make short work of the traffic because the police let us out first.

Anyways, I go to the bank today to get the cash and will stop by the shop to pay for it and start the process. I'm really excited and promise I'll try to snap a couple better pictures today!