Making my own exhaust slip-ons

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi jtarkany,

Congrats for achievement and effort ..
One question, have you analyzed possibility, especially cost comparative, taking in consideration working hours too, on giving to someone , person or company, those exhaust end caps to be made on CNC machine .
Just constructive question .

I believe , have not tried to find out here in Serbia what will be the cost on doing such end caps on CNC or drill machine, but could be easier maybe bit expensive ...

Best regards and respect to your work and achievements ..

Chily

A lot of that would depend on skills and resources. If he / you had the ability to model the part in a 3D format like Solid Works and supply the shop with models / prints, the materials cost and labor would probably run you anywhere from $300 to $400 dollars each for a low quantity run. (2 end caps). If you were ordering 20 or 30 of the caps, they probably would be closer to $50 each. If he just supplied a form to copy, as he has built, you can expect to add another 5 or 6 hours of engineering @ $75 to $150 an hour to produce drawings / 3d models for the machinist to work from.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Hi jtarkany,

Congrats for achievement and effort ..
One question, have you analyzed possibility, especially cost comparative, taking in consideration working hours too, on giving to someone , person or company, those exhaust end caps to be made on CNC machine .
Just constructive question .

I believe , have not tried to find out here in Serbia what will be the cost on doing such end caps on CNC or drill machine, but could be easier maybe bit expensive ...

Best regards and respect to your work and achievements ..

Chily

Factoring in work hours, I am sure it would have been cheaper to buy, however, I have more time than money.

I did look into having the End Caps and Inlet/Outlets CNC'd, the cheapest quote I got was $550.

Bottom line, fabricating my own, well...theres just something challenging, special, fun, educational, unique, etc...about doing it yourself :D.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Factoring in work hours, I am sure it would have been cheaper to buy, however, I have more time than money.

I did look into having the End Caps and Inlet/Outlets CNC'd, the cheapest quote I got was $550.

Bottom line, fabricating my own, well...theres just something challenging, special, fun, educational, unique, etc...about doing it yourself :D.

I agree. If this is something you are doing only for you and you are enjoying it, then there is no price on your time. Go forth, have fun and reap the fruits of your labor! :thumbup:

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep up the good work, what you are doing is absolutely incredible.:thumbup:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well the cans are finally done! Now I just need to get the exhaust flanges, fab the Y-Pipe, and mount these babies :thumbup:

Cost to date (materials):
- 36" of Hi-Temp, Oval, Carbon Fiber for $91 with shipping at Carbon Fiber Tubing
- 2 repacking kits from Two Brothers Racing for about $40 with shipping
- 24" of 1 3/4" perforated, stainless steel tubing for $19 at Motorcycle Parts and Accessories by Baron Custom Accessories for your Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Harley Davidson
- Crucible, 4" piece of steel pipe (free :D), 6" long, took it to a local welding shop and had them weld a plate to the bottom for $20
- 40 lbs, playground sand, $7 for 50 lb bag
- 4 lbs of Bentonite, $20
- Charcoal, $20
- Allan Bolts for end caps, $3
- Gasket material, $5
- Hi-Temp Paint, $7
- Washers for rivets, $2
- Mounting Brackets, $30

If my math is right, that is $264 for two cans.

Oh yeah, pictures:
jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4909-100-1729.jpg

jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4910-100-1730.jpg

jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4912-100-1732.jpg

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Very impressive. Post a vid as soon as you get em on. Can't wait to see/hear them.

Of course, I can't wait to see and hear them :D

They look AWESOME! I'll give you $300 to make me some! J/K

(But if you really want to, I'd totally do it)

Let's see how the prototypes do first, then I will see about streamlining the process and making it a little easier on myself, then who knows maybe I'll go into production :rolleyes:

they have turned out great so far, cant wait to see them on the bike and hear them.. i know you will be glad to be done with the prodject too..

You are so right, I will be glad to be done :eek:

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job indeed....cant wait to see them on the bike, and possibly hear them via a vid!

:rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am still dumbfounded and I have to tell you I've worked as a machinist on tech. models and injection mold making.
I am very impressed with JET's skills. You have to realize that he's working in a few different arenas when doing these tasks. Big props!

Okay how about."Two days ago I saw a rig that would haul that tanker" as a logo! LOL!

sweber_7

Reaction score
Visit site
That is just absolutely AMAZING!!! I wouldn't even know where to begin with that and you did the whole thing. Your the man