Making my own exhaust slip-ons

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
- Let the metal cool in the mould for 3 hours to temper.
jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4722-filled-mold.jpg

- Crack it open and see what you got :eek:
jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4723-crack-open-mold.jpg

jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4724-fresh-cast-end-cap.jpg

jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4725-fresh-cast-inlet-outlet.jpg

- Heres the end cap with some initial cleaning and sanding, still have some work to do on it (Oh yeah, this is the new F-22 Raptor inspire end cap)
jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4726-end-cap-cleaned-little.jpg

Well, that's it for now, still have one more end cap and three more inlet/outlets to cast, clean and make pretty.

This is a lot harder than I remember it being in my 9th grade metal shop class some 29 years ago :(.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm speachless.l

I've worked building technical models and trade show building as well as have worked in an injection mold machine shop.

I'm very impressed!

I mean, you can't list this thread under modding or how to. We need a new category called Manufacturing! LOL

Cliff

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I'm speachless.l

I've worked building technical models and trade show building as well as have worked in an injection mold machine shop.

I'm very impressed!

I mean, you can't list this thread under modding or how to. We need a new category called Manufacturing! LOL

Cliff

Seriously Cliff, you are too kind, I learned to do this in Jr. High and got the idea for the furnace as well as the sand mixture (we used oiled sand in Jr. High) from, melting metal in a home foundry, backyard metalcasting, metal casting and FOUNDRY101.COM respectively. It just takes patience and willingness to do :thumbup:

P.S. - My wife would be happy and surprised if I finished that deck you see me building the molds on :spank:

Last edited:
C

CombatPenguin

This is the best mod I have seen for a bike yet! It's one thing to to buy mods and install them but you built this yourself. I wish I had half the skills it takes to do this.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm loving watching your progress! I'm impressed and inspired by watching what you do. :)

:rockon: :thumbup:

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
As said earlier, How did I miss this thread for so long?

I must say I think this is the coolest thread I have ever seen here...Keep up the work...I know we all want to see the finished product.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
How are you attaching the new end caps to the cans? I don't see the bolt holes that you had on v1.0

Fred

Attempting to cast the patterns with the holes was going to be problematic at best. I had intended on placing bolts in the mold to keep the holes but then realized it would be easier to cast the parts without the holes and drill them aferward. I will mount the end caps with two larger hex bolts centered on the flat faces to each side of the exhaust hole.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I have both end caps and one inlet/outlet casts so far and have three more inlet outlets to go. I ran out of aluminum, so now I need to scrounge some more before I get back to casting.

Here is a shot of a dry fit, still needs some filling and cleaning.
jtarkany-albums-custom-exhaust-picture4743-dry-fit.jpg

Chily

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi jtarkany,

Congrats for achievement and effort ..
One question, have you analyzed possibility, especially cost comparative, taking in consideration working hours too, on giving to someone , person or company, those exhaust end caps to be made on CNC machine .
Just constructive question .

I believe , have not tried to find out here in Serbia what will be the cost on doing such end caps on CNC or drill machine, but could be easier maybe bit expensive ...

Best regards and respect to your work and achievements ..

Chily