FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what happened when I used Cortech soft bags on a recent trip. :eek:

stuntmen-4.jpg

That was a GOOD one! Best laugh of the day! :thumbup:

As Denver_FZ6 said... not a single person here has an issue with this? Perhaps one of us needs to inform New Enough because they're hurting their own sales by saying so?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I know you're looking for more capacity but Nate should know that the tailbag I got from Newenough works fine on the FZ6. It takes 5 minutes or so to secure the bag with the nylon straps to the grip side bars; I usually remove the bag if bike is unattended. Otherwise, I activate the perimeter alarm; it will chirp if anybody, say, invades the parking space area.

Is that an Axio hardpack tail bag? I just received one of those yesterday (from NewEnough) and haven't had time to play with it yet. Are you happy with how and how well it fastens to the bike? Do you find that it has enough capacity to meet your needs? Is the cargo net useful? (Sorry for the barrage of questions.)
thanks

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I've taken a couple of trips with my Nelson Rigg soft saddlebags and have not had any problems with the bags, or anything in the bags, getting burned or melted. I think the longest day was 10 hours of pretty much nonstop riding.
I don't have an aftermarket exhaust.

+1 on the Nelson Rigg bags. I have the CL-900s and love em! I don't have issues with the heat from the tail exhaust...it's covered anyways by the plastic...

anyways, just my 2c

oh yea...they were $76 including shipping from http://www.motorcycle-luggage.com

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
A couple comments about flaming saddlebags, then I'll shut up.

1. NewEnough probably knows what they're talking about. They may have been referring to bikes with undertail exhausts in general, and not the FZ6 specifically. But they wouldn't discourage a sale unless they had a good reason.

2. It's happened to friends of mine. And these were factory hard bags that were designed for the bike, not soft aftermarket ones that were sitting on the exhaust.

3. Notice those gill slits on the sides of the stock plastic muffler cover? Those are there to let cool air into the gap between muffler and cover. Cover those with your soft bags, and you're increasing the undertail heat.

4. Just because it hasn't caught fire, doesn't mean it cannot catch fire.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No issues at all with my Moto-Pak soft luggage. They do have a thin, but dense foam liner that goes between the side bags and the exhaust, but I would trust the bags to not overheat/burn even without the liner....the carbon fiber stays relatively "cool" compared to the exhaust ends caps and outlet pipes. This is the identical soft luggage that Whirlygirl used on her epic ride to Nevada and California earlier this year with no issues on her FZ6, which is what prompted me to buy the Moto-Pak bags. Say...where is Whirlygirl these days, come to think of it?

+1 on the Moto Pak Luggage. I have the GTS 90 saddlebags and love them!! No heat issues with the stock exhaust whatsoever. Nothing really even gets warm. I have even run the straps under the passenger portion of the seat on a 6 hour ride, and everything was fine.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that an Axio hardpack tail bag? I just received one of those yesterday (from NewEnough) and haven't had time to play with it yet. Are you happy with how and how well it fastens to the bike? Do you find that it has enough capacity to meet your needs? Is the cargo net useful? (Sorry for the barrage of questions.)
thanks
SirIssac: Yup, that's Axio tailbag. I've read some feedback about FZ6 owners modifying the nylon/velcro straps but I've found that the stock set-up works just fine; I just route and velcro the front strap (after wrapping around the front grab bar) to the rear mating velcro strap that I've wrapped around the rear grab bar. Never budged/shifted even at 100 MPH + crusing speed. For me, It was enough capacity but (WARNING) I travel light (no kitchen sink). The elastic cargo net is invaluable and really is great for adding a little capacity.

Last edited: