luggage pictures/problems

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
So I just got off the phone with nate at newenough.com and he said not to run saddle bags or a tail bag on the fz6. He has a pile of bags that have been burnt by the undertail exhaust due to how they mount. He also said some of the bags were fine but the clothes inside started on fire from heat.

If anyone or everyone can take pictures of there saddle bag setup please post them. I would like to get bags but now am hesitant. Also let me know how long you have riden at one time with your setup. Please include what bags you have in the pictures. Thank you.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
aftermarket exhausts run cooler, on the pipes at least, but the midpipe is the same temp.

I can't imagine things catching fire inside the bags, they DO get warm inside, but no burn marks on the bags themselves and the insides were not hot enough worry about. I have had my Tecnik's bags on for a 6 hour stint during the "Covered bridge tour" and as you can see in those photo's there are plenty of us running side bags.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/6536-covered-bridge-ride-photos.html

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have my camera at work, but these are the bags that I have. They are a little big, as you will see by the pics...that is why I need to win the FE kit that admin is giving away :) They were the only one's that they had in stock at they time I needed them.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
These may be the same bags that Reiobard has (I couldn't tell from the pictures) but are what I use - Tecknic Speedstar.

Viewing Images For Teknic Speedstar Saddlebags :: New Enough Motorcycle Hard Parts

I've run them on full day rides from 7 AM to 8 PM with regular rest breaks but no prolonged stops and no issues heat wise. That was with the stock exhaust and expect it wouldn't be a problem with my aftermarket exhaust since there's more clearance.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a pic of my old bike but I still use the same luggage on the new '08. These are the Cortech Sport Saddle bags and the Cortech Sport tail bag to match. Zero issues with heat and stock exhaust on both model years.

1064034269_9376b975cd_b.jpg

Here's a rear view on the same day. BTW, I do not use any additional supports with these bags. ;)

View attachment 6267

Last edited:

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
I had nelson rigg's cl-1000's on mine... I had no problems with heat from the exhaust! But... I didn't load em properly or.. well I just should have had some kind of support on it already. I burned a hole in one with my wheel. But as far as the exhaust is concerned? Not a single issue with the stock exhaust.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you guys handle having those bags on your bike and not worrying about someone taken them or whats inside? Is there away to prevent someone taken them or whats inside? O by the way I have always wondered myself about seeing pics of you guys with the bags on the bike and them not catching fire or at least melting. Thanks for the post.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you guys handle having those bags on your bike and not worrying about someone taken them or whats inside? Is there away to prevent someone taken them or whats inside? O by the way I have always wondered myself about seeing pics of you guys with the bags on the bike and them not catching fire or at least melting. Thanks for the post.

I can put my hand on the outer plastic cowling of the exhaust pipes as they exit the back even when the bike is hot.... If the plastic cowling doesn't melt and my hand doesn't burn, then it's reasonable to assume the bags are safe... I assume that's what you were inquiring about since it's the only area that a saddle/rear bag could come in contact with the exhaust system...

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I have locking bags, so I don't worry.

Generally, people leave bikes alone. A motorcycle parked in front of a restaurant with soft luggage generally implies that the owner is nearby and watching the bike.

It can happen, so it's best to park where you can see the bike. And if you're worried, you can get small padlocks for the zippers, and even use a cable lock to hold the bags to the bike.

It also helps that many bags attach in complex and confusing ways. A thief isn't going to take the time to figure out how to remove the bags.

Fred

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can put my hand on the outer plastic cowling of the exhaust pipes as they exit the back even when the bike is hot.... If the plastic cowling doesn't melt and my hand doesn't burn, then it's reasonable to assume the bags are safe... I assume that's what you were inquiring about since it's the only area that a saddle/rear bag could come in contact with the exhaust system...
Thanks yes that was the answer to my question. I didn't figure the outer part was hot enough to burn. I have at times while the bike was running wiped water spots off the muffler protector. But hadn't had the nerve yet to touch it to see. I knew though soon as I did touch it it wasn't going to be good. I always try to remember in circumstances as this one curiousity is what usually kills the cat lol

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
No issues at all with my Moto-Pak soft luggage. They do have a thin, but dense foam liner that goes between the side bags and the exhaust, but I would trust the bags to not overheat/burn even without the liner....the carbon fiber stays relatively "cool" compared to the exhaust ends caps and outlet pipes. This is the identical soft luggage that Whirlygirl used on her epic ride to Nevada and California earlier this year with no issues on her FZ6, which is what prompted me to buy the Moto-Pak bags. Say...where is Whirlygirl these days, come to think of it?

Luggage3.jpg

Saddlebags2.jpg

Luggage2.jpg

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I didn't actualy answer the question...mine don't get hot. I have had no problems with stuff in the bags getting too hot, and that is riding 65+ mph for about 50 miles in 100+ degrees F...yeah...it's hot here.

Ben

Last edited:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what happened when I used Cortech soft bags on a recent trip. :eek:

stuntmen-4.jpg

Ok, not really.

No problems here either. Please tell the folks at Newenough that they must be confusing the FZ6 with something else.

My Cortechs.... (and a big yeller dry bag)
DSC00817.jpg

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I know you're looking for more capacity but Nate should know that the tailbag I got from Newenough works fine on the FZ6. It takes 5 minutes or so to secure the bag with the nylon straps to the grip side bars; I usually remove the bag if bike is unattended. Otherwise, I activate the perimeter alarm; it will chirp if anybody, say, invades the parking space area.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what happened when I used Cortech soft bags on a recent trip. :eek:

stuntmen-4.jpg

Oh man....I haven't laughed so hard in a long time....that was really funny...thanks!!

teeter said:
Ok, not really.

No problems here either. Please tell the folks at Newenough that they must be confusing the FZ6 with something else.

That is what I think as well, which is odd, because they seem to be very much on the ball usually.