Lowsided, suggestions on fixing it up?

koenigcitizen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, guys,

I was on my way home yesterday, lowsided on a country road, going about 25 mph an hour. I didnt even understand what happened, until I was sliding on the ground. It is a familiar turn, its pretty tight, but I rode it before.

When I walked back to where I lost traction, the road had a huge pile of sand in the turn, right in the middle of the lane. It was almost 8PM, twilight, and I did not see it at all.... It was packed by cars, and you could not see it on the road in the dark.

Ohhh, I am so sorry, my baby... and a lonely man tear ran down my cheek...

Damage: right mirror, blinkers, lost foot peg, rash on front fairing engine casing and other random places on the right side. Bent front brake lever and rear brake pedal. I dont know if there is any major damage to steering or frame or anything.

I rode the bike home, it steered weird but I made it safe.
Gonna take it to a local motorcycle dealer on Wednesday.

Not sure what to do:
1. claim it through insurance and restore it to the original shiny non-scratch condition
2. just pay out of pocket, replace blinkers, mirrors etc, and keep the "battle scars". (and maybe replace rashed pieces over the winter).

Still sooo sad...

Wear your gear. Slow down when visibility is low.

1620lee.jpg

Rash on the stator cover and the frame (is that the frame with the rash on top? Is that replaceable?)

2aje3gg.jpg

Lost foot peg and bent rear brake pedal

335fhnd.jpg

Lost mirror, rash on the fairing and blinker

i5xbeq.jpg

front tire

28077dz.jpg

Rash on the fairings

mhput4.jpg

Rear blinker broken

35aj6rt.jpg

Rear tire

e0mk3a.jpg

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Happened to me also I've just waiting on the forum buying piece by piece if your going to claim it then do it all if your not id say piece by piece over the winter

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a brave 1st post (2nd idk). Welcome to the forum and you'll see many chime in about options. Some of that stuff can be had for cheap so take your time and look about before turning it in. It sounds like you came through it well and that's what's important! Sorry you went down but glad you're here and OK!

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Damage: right mirror, blinkers, lost foot peg, rash on front fairing engine casing and other random places on the right side. Bent front brake lever and rear brake pedal. I dont know if there is any major damage to steering or frame or anything.

I rode the bike home, it steered weird but I made it safe.
Gonna take it to a local motorcycle dealer on Wednesday.

Not sure what to do:

1. claim it through insurance and restore it to the original shiny non-scratch condition
2. just pay out of pocket, replace blinkers, mirrors etc, and keep the "battle scars". (and maybe replace rashed pieces over the winter).

See what the dealer says before you decide. Get a quote for the non-cosmetic repairs (pegs, blinkers, mirrors, etc). Some of the scarred places can be painted pretty easily. I scratched my engine cover pretty good and "repaired" it with some high-temp BBQ paint (matte black). You have to look really close to see that it's even damaged.

These bikes are not particularly expensive, so it's hard to justify putting a few thousand dollars in to repair things when you can buy another one. I'm in the "repair the safety issues, keep riding" camp. Chicks dig scars :)

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok, the bike is always the last concern in an accident. I would avoid insurance, it honestly doesn't look like the damage isn't that bad unless your heart is set on having it look flawless again. Besides, they'll find an excuse to raise your rates later and then you'll have to switch and it's just a hassle. :p On that note, I think it's a good excuse to do some upgrades!

The rash on the mole is easily done with bondo, there's a write up somewhere on the forum. You can get some bar end mirrors or ones with integrated blinkers or whatever suits your fancy. You could get a Two Brothers exhaust which will have a fender eliminator with blinkers :p. The only real "tragic" part is the rash on the fairing and the metal cases, your best bet is to either replace them. You can patiently wait for used parts here or try and sand it down and then paint it to match.

koenigcitizen

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

As far as me personally, the gear totally did its job.
Helmet - never touched the ground (at least I cant find any scratches on it)
Gloves - Full length leather gauntlet racing gloves - right palm is scuffed, but did not rip or tear.
Armored Kevlar Jeans - did not even tear or anything
Boots - Right boot is extremely scuffed
Jacket - Right sleeve ripped (between elbow and glove), but never made it to skin.

No scratches on me, just bruised hip and shoulder.
I was sliding for at least 20 feet on the pavement

G

The rash on the mole is easily done with bondo, there's a write up somewhere on the forum. You can get some bar end mirrors or ones with integrated blinkers or whatever suits your fancy. You could get a Two Brothers exhaust which will have a fender eliminator with blinkers :p. The only real "tragic" part is the rash on the fairing and the metal cases, your best bet is to either replace them. You can patiently wait for used parts here or try and sand it down and then paint it to match.

theRabbi, which part is "the mole" that you are referring to?

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I am glad you were not seriously hurt. I drive some back roads and farm-to-market roads (two-lane blacktops) to and from work, and worry about sand, etc. on these "familiar" roads. So I probably take it too carefully on some corners for just that reason.

Did you have any frame sliders or similar protection? I would think they would have prevented a lot of the road rash on the engine. At least that is what I thought they were for.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great that you're okay! I've done worse to bike and body.
Different steering feeling may be due to bent handle bar.

abynormal

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to see the bike damaged but the most important thing is that you are ok!
For the bike, others already have said it...repair it yourself. Do the important items first, footpeg and blinkers and take your time to source the rest at cheaper prices...
The FZ6 is an easy bike to work on and I am sure it will give you satisfaction when it is back into its original shape and you did it all yourself!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

koenigcitizen

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update if anyone is interested.

I went to the dealer to get estimate. It was a 30 mile ride. I got there ok, but my handlebar is bent. I have to hold the bars at a slight angle to make the bike go straight.

Just to get the bike drivable they estimated around $800 (handlebars, mirror assembly, rearset, blinkers).

To get everything fixed including all cosmetic damage around $2200.

Expensive lowside.

I just decided to go ahead and get it fixed with the insurance. At least the bike will back to good condition, and I will avoid spending money on replacing all the rashed up plastic.

Exhaust cover is part of the fix up, so I am gonna get Two Bro slip ons at a $400 discount. (at least thats nice).

The rash on the frame will have to be painted.

Planning on getting SW Montec engine guards, and have the dealer install those as well while they are at it.

But I am looking at driving a cage for at least two weeks or so...

The insurance quote agent guy told me that my premium is likely to go up, but he said he would estimate at extra $100 a year or so, because it was a single vehicle accident, I didn't crash into anyone, didnt cause anyone damage or harm. We will see when my renewal comes in the mail.

I need your help, guys, with a couple of questions:

1. Since I have to replace handlebars, I decided to go with FZ1 bars. When I mentioned it the dealer, he said no problem, but he has no idea what year FZ1 bars to order. So... Which year FZ1 bars will work for my 2009 FZ6 without any modifications?

2. I will have them order Aluminum two Bro slip ons with fender eliminator. I chose aluminum just because they are cheaper. Do they get really hot? Should I get CF or Titanium instead? Do Aluminum come in black?

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Just an update if anyone is interested.

I went to the dealer to get estimate. It was a 30 mile ride. I got there ok, but my handlebar is bent. I have to hold the bars at a slight angle to make the bike go straight.

Just to get the bike drivable they estimated around $800 (handlebars, mirror assembly, rearset, blinkers).

To get everything fixed including all cosmetic damage around $2200.

Expensive lowside.

I just decided to go ahead and get it fixed with the insurance. At least the bike will back to good condition, and I will avoid spending money on replacing all the rashed up plastic.

Exhaust cover is part of the fix up, so I am gonna get Two Bro slip ons at a $400 discount. (at least thats nice).

The rash on the frame will have to be painted.

Planning on getting SW Montec engine guards, and have the dealer install those as well while they are at it.

But I am looking at driving a cage for at least two weeks or so...

The insurance quote agent guy told me that my premium is likely to go up, but he said he would estimate at extra $100 a year or so, because it was a single vehicle accident, I didn't crash into anyone, didnt cause anyone damage or harm. We will see when my renewal comes in the mail.

1. Since I have to replace handlebars, I decided to go with FZ1 bars. When I mentioned it the dealer, he said no problem, but he has no idea what year FZ1 bars to order. So... Which year FZ1 bars will work for my 2009 FZ6 without any modifications?

2. I will have them order Aluminum two Bro slip ons with fender eliminator. I chose aluminum just because they are cheaper. Do they get really hot? Should I get CF or Titanium instead? Do Aluminum come in black?

Makes you glad you have collision ins, eh? Any late model (same year as yours) fz1 bar will work. It clears the tank CLOSE but clears it. You'll have to either cut off a plastic tab on the throttle tube, or drill a hole in the bar, other than that it'll fit.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site

Honestly, after doing a lot of research I would highly recommend Scorpions. They come with a lifetime warranty, don't require any repacking and work with any mount/rack/fender eliminator. Just my two cents.

koenigcitizen

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, after doing a lot of research I would highly recommend Scorpions. They come with a lifetime warranty, don't require any repacking and work with any mount/rack/fender eliminator. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the info.
I like how TB sound, plus I like that it comes with fender eliminator, plus I am getting the removable power tip (sound suppressor).

Do Scorpions have an option to have a removable baffle?
I didnt know TB have to be repacked (noob). I am not even sure what that means (I am guessing insides have to be replaced as they burn out). How often does that have to be done?

I was planning on getting a Givi topcase for FZ6. Will TB pipes prevent that?

Thanks!

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
There are some threads on the Givi/Two Brothers combination (here) and it's not a direct fitment but I think you could get it to work.

Repacking can vary drastically, from the Two Brothers FAQ:
The length of time between repacks varies depending on the type of riding you do and the type of bike you own. Inline fours and sixes are generally very easy on the packing material while singles and big twins tend to be harsh on the packing. We’ve seen sport touring bikes with over 60,000 miles on the mufflers where the packing looked as good as new while we’ve also seen big superbike twins with lot’s of track time burn through the packing in less than 2,000 miles.

The repacking costs about $40ish dollars for both cans and, while not expensive it's not something I want to continue to incur. With my personality, I would do it fairly regularly because I'd be overly concerned about discoloration and/or fissures forming from lack of care. If you don't mind and want to take more risk, then you could probably get away with doing it less frequently, if ever.

The Scorpions do come with a removable baffle. The Two Brothers will probably be a bit louder, especially in the higher RPMs, but both are pretty deep. The lifetime warranty and no maintenance with the Scorpions were my deciding factors. I may have to refab the y-pipe so that they don't stick out as far, that minor aesthetic was the only drawback. Also, from a personal stand point, the carbon fiber print on the Two Bros is a little awkward looking, although definitely unique.

I was going to buy them when I got home last night, but I burned the clutch on my cage so there goes $1,200. I guess it's karma for not taking the bike when the weather was gorgeous. :surrender:

koenigcitizen

Reaction score
Visit site
There are some threads on the Givi/Two Brothers combination (here) and it's not a direct fitment but I think you could get it to work.

Repacking can vary drastically, from the Two Brothers FAQ:

The repacking costs about $40ish dollars for both cans and, while not expensive it's not something I want to continue to incur. With my personality, I would do it fairly regularly because I'd be overly concerned about discoloration and/or fissures forming from lack of care. If you don't mind and want to take more risk, then you could probably get away with doing it less frequently, if ever.

The Scorpions do come with a removable baffle. The Two Brothers will probably be a bit louder, especially in the higher RPMs, but both are pretty deep. The lifetime warranty and no maintenance with the Scorpions were my deciding factors. I may have to refab the y-pipe so that they don't stick out as far, that minor aesthetic was the only drawback. Also, from a personal stand point, the carbon fiber print on the Two Bros is a little awkward looking, although definitely unique.

I was going to buy them when I got home last night, but I burned the clutch on my cage so there goes $1,200. I guess it's karma for not taking the bike when the weather was gorgeous. :surrender:

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading up on all the "exhaust wars" threads on this forum, and sometimes, its getting me even more confused. But overall, I think I am leaning towards the Scorpions now.

Funny thing, I had two bros carbon fiber slip on on my Ninja before, it was there for two years. I had no idea about the repacking thing...

Also, Two Bro comes with a fender eliminator kit. Do Scorpions work with the stock fender or they come with eliminator kit as well?

Last edited:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have been reading up on all the "exhaust wars" threads on this forum, and sometimes, its getting me even more confused. But overall, I think I am leaning towards the Scorpions now.

Funny thing, I had two bros carbon fiber slip on on my Ninja before, it was there for two years. I had no idea about the repacking thing...

Also, Two Bro comes with a fender eliminator kit. Do Scorpions work with the stock fender or they come with eliminator kit as well?
Sorry, I wasn't trying to change your mind although it did come off that way. I think the Two Bros is a good choice too (a very close second for me), it's probably louder if that's what you're going for. Repacking is a concern for me because I'm OCD about maintenance care, it may not bother other people.

While you're right about the Two Bros including a fender eliminator, the Scorpions are about $50-100 cheaper so you'd break even if you bought your own fender eliminator (also giving you more options).

And based on this thread it looks like the Scorpions aren't a direct fit with Givi either. :spank:

My plans for the exhaust are a little delayed for now (thanks to my car... :'() so I can't provide any personal insight.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Although it's too late in your case Go here: Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports whenever you want to buy OEM parts.

My lowside was much worse than yours and I picked up everything but the headlight (ebay) from them to repair my old '05 FZ a few years ago. Considerably cheaper than what the dealer quoted for parts.

Last edited: