Lovely ride in Marin County this afternoon

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to take half the day off from work this afternoon, and to make a trip along the Marin coastline (north of San Francisco). What a nice time!

Coming from the East Bay, I had to go through San Francisco to get there, which has been something I've had a mental block against, as I've never ridden through a congested downtown city (especially one with hills like SFO) before. But I made it. Then headed across the Golden Gate bridge, which is always a pleasant thing to do, riding, driving, walking, or bicycling. Directly north of the Golden Gate is the Marin headlands, where the most famous pictures of San Francisco are taken from. Everyone is always taking the same picture, so I was lucky to find a spot to snap a couple.

I then headed toward Stinson beach, a quaint little beach town further north. There are some great twisties getting there. I've recently been paranoid about gravel in corners, so I'm I take them pretty slow (for a motorcycle). Compared to a 4-wheeled vehicle, I'm going pretty okay. But throughout the entire 5 mile winding road to the place, there was this delivery truck nearly keeping up with me the whole way. The driver must have a been a professional racer. I've never seen delivery truck racing TV, but I don't watch ESPN much. The sport probably exists. Along the way, I stopped at a lookout, and one of my pictures is of the coastline looking north towards Stinson Beach. You can see bits of the road. All in good condition, a very nice road to ride.

After a brief stop in Stinson beach, I headed up Pacific Coast Highway another 20 miles to Point Reyes Station. Then inland to Petaluma, and finally freeways all the way home, home by 5:45 pm. All in a all, about 150 miles, and quite a nice time. I think I may do that more often!

Batgirl

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing- ditched work and went riding :rockon:
Your pictures are ALOT more exciting!

dar006-1.jpg

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
my goodness... I live in the East Bay and drive / ride to Marin every day for work. It seems like there are enough people who live around the area to accompany you on this adventurous ride :D

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
my goodness... I live in the East Bay and drive / ride to Marin every day for work. It seems like there are enough people who live around the area to accompany you on this adventurous ride :D

That must be a nice commute for you!

I'm so darn slow, that I'm a bit anxious about riding with FZsixers. As competent as the bike is, a good rider (not me) could really haul arse and would leave me in the dust. The only person I've ever ridden with has a monster Harley. I can keep up with him!

I did see someone on an FZ6 stopped at the intersection of Pinehurst and Redwood Road near Castro Valley last weekend. I hadn't been intending to stop at the intersection, so I blasted through but later I was wishing I had stopped to find out if it was any of our members.

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I look out the window at work and all I see is white fluffy stuff falling down I am glad people in the world are still on their bikes. This forum and many motorcycle magazines have to get me through winter. As well I just ordered up the Isle of Mann TT review '07 and '08, which should be good watching. :canada:

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I'm so darn slow, that I'm a bit anxious about riding with FZsixers. As competent as the bike is, a good rider (not me) could really haul arse and would leave me in the dust.

Get out there and ride with those faster riders! They teach you. Plus, any competent rider will wait at all intersections/turns on the route for anybody who isn't riding ultra fast. I went with a few FZ6 riders this weekend and everybody had a great time at all levels!

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Oakland, Trestle Glen.
I wouldn't mind hooking up with you all around here for a little ride.
Never mind you being paranoid... at soon to be 54 I don't ride like I use to ... and that's on purpose!
Yes that is a huge windshield... I'd like to know more about it or see it. I just this weekend made a template to try adding on to mine but if it's a simple matter of buying one....
I have not been out much lately around redwood, skyline or griz... but I'm around... occasionally on my CBX.

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
That must be a nice commute for you!

I'm so darn slow, that I'm a bit anxious about riding with FZsixers. As competent as the bike is, a good rider (not me) could really haul arse and would leave me in the dust. The only person I've ever ridden with has a monster Harley. I can keep up with him!

I did see someone on an FZ6 stopped at the intersection of Pinehurst and Redwood Road near Castro Valley last weekend. I hadn't been intending to stop at the intersection, so I blasted through but later I was wishing I had stopped to find out if it was any of our members.

The commute IS very nice. I take the 580 over the Richmond / San Rafael bridge every morning / afternoon and a short south-bound drive on the 101 to Sausalito.

Also, I'm considered a slow rider as well... because all sorts of bike pass me up on the freeway or surface streets. Whenever I'm lane-splitting between cars in traffic, bikes always somehow catch up. I'd move out of the way and use their lead to guide me through!

I'd definitely be down to meet up with folks around the Bay to ride... though this weekend is definitely a busy weekend for me. Perhaps an upcoming weekend after the holidays? :D

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you guys post up a good route for the Marin County? I want to spend a whole day up there some time just taking in the greenery. I tried that bay area riders forum a while back but I got information overload when I did a search.

Now that I have a truck again, I might toss it in the back so I'm more energized for the ride while there.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey pch, are you dedicated to staying in Marin county the whole time?
How long/far do you want to ride?
If you want to stay out all day, I'd venture farther than just Marin. DefyInertia recently took a loop up north from the city that's kind a showpiece ride around here, mostly because you get to ride Skagg's Springs Rd.
from:37.802731,-122.472839 to:CA-1 to:CA-1 to:Canyon Rd to:CA-128 to:Western Mine Rd to:CA-29/Lincoln Ave to:Mark W Springs Rd/River Rd to:CA-116/River Rd to:Bohemian Hwy to:CA-1 to:US-101 S - Google Maps
You can shorten it up a lot by taking 101 back down to Marin.
I've got to go to work, but I'll think about some other routes and get back to you.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
My plan is to take one day to drive to the Bay, one day to ride around, and one day to return (some weekend and a day off).

I'll probably stay in the South Bay but I wont have a problem finding the golden gate from there.