Lots of riding!

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
went out Saturday morning after a Medical Emergencies final exam, and began my two week break with a ride up into the mountains. For those in GA, this will sound familiar.

I went up I-985 until it turned into Rt.365, and then hung a "west" into Clarkesville on Rt.197. After getting through the town, I missed a turn to follow Rt. 197 and ended up at a gas station. I filled up, and went over to some Hog riders and their wives. I introduced myself, and asked for a map to find Rt. 197 again, and one of the guys said, "When you buy a BIG motorcycle, they GIVE you a map! har har har"

I said, "Wow, $13,000 extra for a map book? What a bargain!"

Anyhoo, I got asked the classic FZ6 owner questions/comments.
"Crotchrocket, huh?"
"What is that thing?"
and, "Is that a Suzuki?"

I told them about the bke, and sat on it to show them how one sits on a sport/touring bike. They agreed it looked comfortable, and when I told them it has 93hp, they almost choked.
It is fast...

At any rate, I found directions back to the road I wanted, and followed them for a short bit until they turned off. Good folks, just brainwashed by Harley-itis.

Rt. 197 as you leave Clarkesville center is about 12-13 miles of twisty mountain road. I found myself giggling and wondering aloud at how long this pass was. It was awesome!

Some sprinkles on the way back home, but I rde form 1000 to 1630 and was comfy the whole time, though I admit, when I got home to find my grip puppies waiting there, I had to put them on right away and do a short trip up the road and back to try them out. They are awesome and will solve the weedwhacker buzz I got from the original grips.

Fast forward to this morning, when I wokke up at aroun 0830 and actually didn't have a call all night, (we're going to be up all damn night next shift, I can tell...).

I had some coffee and called a coworker who lives nearby. He wanted to go for a ride, too, so game on!

We met up at his house and just went wherever.
It was a nice ride down some really good road, and we had a late breakfast at a Waffle House.
I had one of those "OH CRAP!" moments earlier in the ride were I was busy watching my riding partner and not the road; figured out I was in a turn too late and well, you know the story...

I hit the brakes too hard, locked up the back tire and skidded a little sideways while avoiding a mailbox, went over the end of a driveway and rode a narrow strip of grass next to a four foot deep ditch off the the left. After I realized I was skidding, I promptly eased off and got in the zome to ride it out.

Adrenaline pumping, I was able to catch up to my friend who didn't even know I had had any trouble.

So there.

I found the edge of my comfort zone and learned to never stopp scanning ahead -especially when keeping up with a more experienced rider.

-Fun at any rate, and I got to open it up later one in the morning and blew by him. I guess I took him quite by surprise, because it took a while for him to catch up.

I let him ride it around a big epty parking lot later on, and he loved it. He called the FZ6 "a perfect mix of comfort and sportbike power".

He was on a Suzuki GSX-R 600.

Back