Loose Fork lesson

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Hey guys,

Just a heads up. While going over bumps about two months ago, I started to notice a rattle. I thought nothing of it and thought it was the fairing shaking (I had previously broken off a left turn signal and cracked the fairing by hitting the pole that stops cars on the way out of a parking lot...you know...the one that moved up and down)

A month later, I notice a slight shimmy in the fork...I take it to the dealer and we both agree that it must be the fairing that is rattling with the bike over speed bumps and large bumps.

I had free time at lunch today, and have noticed now after two months that the shimmy and shudder has gotten way worse going over bumps. I pushed down hard on the front fork and got the shimmy...hmmmm. Took it to the dealer, and said that the problem has gotten worse, here, look.

He examined it, and I he set me up immediately to get it serviced (still under warranty). The steering column needs to be tightened.

I write this more to just pay attention to the out of the ordinary things on the bike. I never just brushed off the noise, because I KNEW it was the fork the whole time and I only have 6,300 miles...I just couldn't pinpoint the problem until it was bad enough. So stick to your guns and get it checked out...even if it takes two months to figure it out!

Lots of posts here about steering head bearings. If the dealer is doing it under warranty, let him do it. Some folks have been charged for replacing them while still in warranty. Guess it depends on the dealer. I replaced mine with All Balls Tapered Bearings and have not had a problem since.

I have had the same problem with my 2005, I've been tighting it my self, but it just seems to back off after a couple months.

Rayman, where did you get the bearing you are talking about?

my bike does the same thing when going over bumps, little divot's, to me it sounds like it comes from the speed/teach area, like a rattling sound.

Back