Looking at used FZ6 bikes

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought we have a different/worse trans? (not saying it isn't reliable but I thought the R6 had a much smoother one)

Keep in mind when they rolled this into the Fizzer, they rolled it out of the R6. Not completely but it went through a design change. Ours power wise was detuned; 70% of our loss (~20hp) lies in ECM mapping for Fueling and ignition. The basic hardware was not changed much. TB's shrank as did header diameter and cam profile - All to move the power band lower taking the peakiness away. The cams don't make "more power per say" they just change WHERE it comes on at. The change in compression is the HP gain/loss....

Crank, rods, pistons, all are the same PN on earlier R6 bikes up to ~ 2004/05 around there....
As for the Trans - gears have different ratios but main shaft and oil pumps, basic stuff (design) are the same pn. I suspect a pre-05 bike had a nice crunch like ours does now!

I rode a 2013 R6 and the box was uber smooth compared to ours. In addition the torque from mid range on up was very impressive! It snatched the wheel right up in the air :thumbup:

If I had to guess, they needed to up their race game to stay up with the competition and that left a low cost solution with a solid deign history and manufacturing process capable of making near bulletproof engines. The detuned Fizzer was born! :rockon:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So are saying both of those methods are incorrect for storage?

I'v always gone with the topped off tank and stabil.

^^^ PLEASE ACCEPT APOLOGY ^^

Wording went wrong there - Yes, Fill it FULL OR DRAIN it completely are the best methods for long term storage.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you asked about the Fz6 in particular, but just in case...

403 Forbidden

^very useful buying tips when looking for a used bike. Pay special attention to the search for rust (under the gas cap in particular and in patches around the bike).

My bike was probably stored outside without a cover, and I knew it had rust under the gas cap when I bought it. I believe that what this leads to is a lot of bad seals (fork seals, rubber gaskets exposed to the elements, etc). My advice: Pass on a bike with signs of poor storage like rust, it'll add to the bill down the road and could cause an unplanned for problem if you don't take the time or have the mechanical inclination to check all the exterior gaskets.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind when they rolled this into the Fizzer, they rolled it out of the R6. Not completely but it went through a design change. Ours power wise was detuned; 70% of our loss (~20hp) lies in ECM mapping for Fueling and ignition. The basic hardware was not changed much. TB's shrank as did header diameter and cam profile - All to move the power band lower taking the peakiness away. The cams don't make "more power per say" they just change WHERE it comes on at. The change in compression is the HP gain/loss....

Crank, rods, pistons, all are the same PN on earlier R6 bikes up to ~ 2004/05 around there....
As for the Trans - gears have different ratios but main shaft and oil pumps, basic stuff (design) are the same pn. I suspect a pre-05 bike had a nice crunch like ours does now!

I rode a 2013 R6 and the box was uber smooth compared to ours. In addition the torque from mid range on up was very impressive! It snatched the wheel right up in the air :thumbup:

If I had to guess, they needed to up their race game to stay up with the competition and that left a low cost solution with a solid deign history and manufacturing process capable of making near bulletproof engines. The detuned Fizzer was born! :rockon:
Makes sense, god I can't imagine getting a race bike and having it shift like ours.

If it wouldn't blow it up, I'd love to have my Nin250's trans on the Fizz lol. It was so smooth and snapped into gear so meanly!

thatguymike

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems most FZ6's in my area are 2006 and below...

Anything wrong with this year bike or is the 2007+ bikes worth the extra money?

Can anyone answer this? I might have the chance to snatch up an 06 for only $2k. Though I've been waiting and saving for a '07+. It'll be my first bike so I'm not sure if I should wait it out or bite the bullet. The extra $1.5k could go into any maintenance I'd want to have done.

Also the '06 I'm looking at has a black frame, but has the old gauge cluster. I was under the impression that the '07+ were the only ones to come with a black frame? Would this an indicator of an (end of the year // December 2006) model?

Thanks!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone answer this? I might have the chance to snatch up an 06 for only $2k. Though I've been waiting and saving for a '07+. It'll be my first bike so I'm not sure if I should wait it out or bite the bullet. The extra $1.5k could go into any maintenance I'd want to have done.

Also the '06 I'm looking at has a black frame, but has the old gauge cluster. I was under the impression that the '07+ were the only ones to come with a black frame? Would this an indicator of an (end of the year // December 2006) model?

Thanks!
2006 got the black frame, but is internally the same as the 04 and 05 models (instrument cluster, brakes, engines, etc.).

That said, I paid $3300 for my 04 with 12.5k miles (very clean). I would snap up that bike you mentioned for $2000 in a heart beat. For a first bike, it might be nice to have the newer version, but this is my first bike as well and I don't regret a thing.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '08 so I'm not an expert on the earlier models. I have HEARD (and wikipedia says) that the black frame and revised swingarm started in 2006.

It were me and this bike came up for that price, I'd get a look at it for the conditions mentioned here, check the tank - if everything looks good & well maintained, I'd grab it. And then I'd make certain that the TPS recall work had been done.

Check wikipedia for the year-by-year changes. I like the analog tach on the 07+ but that wouldn't be a large part of my decision.

Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck!

Chris

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't correct, from 2007 on there where two models, the standard with 76 hp and the S2 with the same 97hp as the pre 2007.

To my knowledge the 76hp model was not even available in the US, they were for the European market and even here are pretty rare!

I thought it was the FZ6R that was like 76hp The FZ6R is a different bike and yes the FZ6 first and second generation were rated at about 97hp.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily stay away from higher mileage bikes..

I purchased my '06 FZ6 with 12k on the clock, it was mint in every way except for a tiny scuff on the engine case that you'd need to look for. It had clubman bars, a TBR exhaust, an Aztek8 front end conversion and I paid 3k in March.

The only reason I'd want an 07+ would be for the analog gauges (The digital tach can be hard to see in sunlight), and for the blacked out forks and whatnot. I don't think I'd like the FZ6 with the older silver instead. These bikes seem to be pretty bulletproof, I just hit 16k now and she just keeps taking it! Gas, oil changes, and tires.

cupcake

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert, but here's my experience to add to the pot...

My 2004 FZ6 had 22,500 miles on when I bought it 6 weeks ago. I use it every day for work and it still looks and runs like a new bike. In comparison, my last bike - 2003 Honda VFR800 had similar mileage and was a proper rough old dog! Looked and sounded more like it had done 260,000 miles

I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the mileage on my FZ6 - it's a superb bike :thumbup:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert, but here's my experience to add to the pot...

My 2004 FZ6 had 22,500 miles on when I bought it 6 weeks ago. I use it every day for work and it still looks and runs like a new bike. In comparison, my last bike - 2003 Honda VFR800 had similar mileage and was a proper rough old dog! Looked and sounded more like it had done 260,000 miles

I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the mileage on my FZ6 - it's a superb bike :thumbup:

I'm in agreement - an FZ6 with higher miles is not a bad thing if it's been serviced properly. Bought my '09 in February with 28k on the clock - it's running like a champ, getting all my service done at the end of the season (soon approaching).

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
In comparison, my last bike - 2003 Honda VFR800 had similar mileage and was a proper rough old dog! Looked and sounded more like it had done 260,000 miles

Not to get off topic but what was wrong with it? The VFR and the FZ6 are my favorite sport touring bikes, both with undertail exhausts, and the VFR with that sweet sweet V4 music. I hope they aren't piles of crap cause they sound so good :D

cupcake

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to get off topic but what was wrong with it? The VFR and the FZ6 are my favorite sport touring bikes, both with undertail exhausts, and the VFR with that sweet sweet V4 music. I hope they aren't piles of crap cause they sound so good :D

It was an impulse buy and after I did research I found that the model (in the year range) I had was plagued with electrical gremlins. The engine in mine sounded more like it had been around the world than a sweet V4 - even with full service history. I dare say the VFR800 is a lovely bike if you get a decent one. I hated the very sporty riding position - didn't strike me as very good for touring (if you don't like sporty ridinng position, which I don't) and I just couldn't get on with it.

That's just my own bad experience. Don't be put off, I'm sure they are great bikes ;)

Now, back on topic.... My FZ6 is sweet as anything with its now 24,000 miles and the new Delkevics will be fitted today, so I'm really looking forward to hearing that kind of 'music' :D

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems most FZ6's in my area are 2006 and below...

Anything wrong with this year bike or is the 2007+ bikes worth the extra money?

Not sure what price range etc you are looking in or how far you are willing to travel, but I would be willing to come a little ways to meet you if you are still looking for an 07+ with low miles.

Mine is an '09 with 4,700 miles and tons of extras to choose from if you are interested. (see marketplace)

Good luck finding a bike, the FZ6 is awesome!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is sweet as anything with its now 24,000 miles and the new Delkevics will be fitted today, so I'm really looking forward to hearing that kind of 'music' :D

Did you get your pipes on??

How do you like them, pic's?

(if they have DB killers-silencers in them), try removing them, it makes a BIG difference!

cupcake

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you get your pipes on??

How do you like them, pic's?

(if they have DB killers-silencers in them), try removing them, it makes a BIG difference!

Yep, all fitted and I love them! :cheer:

They have the dB killers in and they're already really loud. Might take them out and see what the difference is, but I value my hearing, so may put them back in again ;)

10537713_10152626415495908_1030489197843610597_o_zps216f2bb6.jpg

1614222_10152626415490908_3748248438985290672_o_zps83c358aa.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly no. The previous owner installed a scottoiler mounted behind the license plate. Not my location of choice so I'm looking for somewhere else to put it and then tidy up the back end a bit ;)

Oh, ok. I thought they were pretty much round, tubular units...

Maybe somewhere in this area if its somewhat flat;
(nice and close to the chain too)

Double click to enlarge

Last edited: