Looking at used FZ6 bikes

YZ125

Reaction score
Visit site
Rookie here,

I'm hoping to get some insight on choosing the right FZ6 bike for me.

Is there a specific year that had more problems than others? On the other hand, is there a specific year that had better features than others?

What mileage bikes should I be looking at? It seems most in my area (Ohio) are in the 10,000 - 13,000 mile range. I do not want to buy a bike that I know I will have to adjust the valves on in the near future. Is the 10k - 13k bikes good to go assuming they have been properly maintained since purchased by the previous owner?

To sum things up, I'm hoping some experienced FZ6 riders can guide a potential FZ6 in the right direction and help me choose a solid bike!

Thanks in advance!!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is divided between the 04-06 range and the 07-09 range.

Most people will agree that the 07-09 is a better bike, no TPS problems, better brakes, better rear swing arm.

Although, a lot of people or happy with their 1st gen one, i would try to find a gen 2 model if it was my bike.

Regarding mileage it depends, i personally would not buy a bike with much more than 10000km (6000miles) but once again, some people have had luck buying higher mileage bikes.

It all depends how much money you can afford.

To sum it up, try to find an 07 and up bike, with the lowest mileage, a clean title, and no signs of being dropped.

Saying that, my bike was dropped on each side by the previous owner, but looked like nothing had ever happened. Since it was my first bike, i was kinda expecting to drop it at some point and didn't care it had been dropped already. FYI a year on i still haven't dropped it!

Rilie

Reaction score
Visit site
A few changes were made like, the 2006+ have a black frame and wheels and a modified swingarm, the 2007+ have a 20 hp reduction due to fuel injection mappings and a different speedo. Just keep those things in mind when looking. I would look for something around 10k miles and ask the owner what their maintenence schedule was. I got an 05 with 2400 miles for only 2500 usd, so good deals are out there just dont jump on the first thing.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
A few changes were made like, the 2006+ have a black frame and wheels and a modified swingarm, the 2007+ have a 20 hp reduction due to fuel injection mappings and a different speedo. Just keep those things in mind when looking. I would look for something around 10k miles and ask the owner what their maintenence schedule was. I got an 05 with 2400 miles for only 2500 usd, so good deals are out there just dont jump on the first thing.

What are you smoking? The 2007+ isn't down 20hp....

I would try to get a 07+ it's just a more refined package. Most of the bugs were worked out by that point.

I purchased my bike for $5,000 (over paid at a dealer) last summer with 500 miles on it, it now has almost 7,500 miles and still runs the same. I wouldn't really worry too much about mileage, bikes will run a long time with proper maintenance. Just get what you can afford.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
the 2007+ have a 20 hp reduction due to fuel injection mappings

This isn't correct, from 2007 on there where two models, the standard with 76 hp and the S2 with the same 97hp as the pre 2007.

To my knowledge the 76hp model was not even available in the US, they were for the European market and even here are pretty rare!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any of the fz's are good. One of our members has near 100k on his bike and is still running strong! Any motor operated vehicle will require maintenance at some point, it's a great way to get familiar with the bike.

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2004 fz6 about 2 years ago with 13k miles for $2800. Super clean, never down. A great price for my area. I'm up to 26k miles now and it still runs excellent with no problems. Just replaced the factory chain.

The TPS did start acting up but it is fixed free at a Yamaha dealer due to recall so don't let that deter you.

I even wrecked this bike and rebuilt it because it still ran excellent. I don't think I could ever part with this bike. They are really solid.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
high miles don't really mean much if bike was treated right, it just means that it wasn't a garage queen and someone enjoyed it. I myself have an 05 as well, no issues just needed a new tires and I put about 9000 miles in less than 3 years

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
I got me a 2007 FZ6, my gawd it's beautiful :Sport::D and runs great.

Had about 5800 when I bought it.

Now almost 6000 :thumbup::rolleyes:

YZ125

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input so far!

The reason I ask about service intervals is because I am used to Honda XR dirt bikes that are essentially bulletproof with oil changes.

I would like something for the street that is nearly bulletproof as well in regards to the engine...although I am meticulous when it comes to maintenance. I do not enjoy valve work, however :thumbup:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site

The reason I ask about service intervals is because I am used to Honda XR dirt bikes that are essentially bulletproof with oil changes.

I would like something for the street that is nearly bulletproof as well in regards to the engine...although I am meticulous when it comes to maintenance. I do not enjoy valve work, however :thumbup:

Sounds like you should grab an old Ducati Monster.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
It might be my impression, but I think that 07 -09 model has wider tank near the seat area. This makes the sitting position less comfortable...

YZ125

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems most FZ6's in my area are 2006 and below...

Anything wrong with this year bike or is the 2007+ bikes worth the extra money?

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site

The FZ6 iz double bullet proof! the valve work iz a bit mor challenging than the Honda, butt ya only gotta do it ever 26K. :D

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe most people that have done the valves found it was they were in spec.

Personally, I sought out the black frame for aesthetics (and cleaning)... but as others have said, the 2nd gen has other advantages as well.

You might be a tad late on the spring sales. There will probably be more available in the fall, at a better price... if you can wait.

Here's my thought on how mileage affects this bike: bought my '08 with 9.5K and now have 22K. If I was forced to sell, I would ask for the same price I paid... and probably get it. :)

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
It might be my impression, but I think that 07 -09 model has wider tank near the seat area. This makes the sitting position less comfortable...

Same tank for all model years.

Almost everyone, if not everyone who has checked their valves at 26K miles has found that they are still within spec and did not require adjustment. I know mine were fine and I just checked them for the first time at 34K.

As mentioned before, mileage is not what you should be looking at when buying a used bike. Mine has 35K miles now and still looks, rides, and feels brand new, but I spend a lot of time on maintenance (never been to the shop). On the other hand I've seen sportbikes with 10K miles that are already trashed.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Consider this; a low Miles bike **MAY HAVE MORE ISSUES** than one that's being ridden. Sitting untouched is not helpful to any vehicles I know of.

Whatever you buy, look in the gas tank as far as you can. Any bike stored improperly may seem like a bargain at first but bite you when the rust in the tank shuts it down. << Applies to any make, model not stored properly. i.e. completely full tank with stable and/or a completely empty tank and ran OUT of fuel before being parked. Same thing with antifreeze and brakes. Low on fluid allows various forms of rust, corrosion, and oxidation to occur.

These bikes are pretty bullet prof. Engine and trans came from the flagship R6 race bike and many of the internal parts interchange. They don't blow up just to spite the owner. Usually its a result of some form of neglect or abuse.

EDIT: ^^^ PLEASE ACCEPT APOLOGY ^^

Wording went wrong there - Yes, Fill it FULL OR DRAIN it completely are the best methods for long term storage.

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Consider this; a low Miles bike **MAY HAVE MORE ISSUES** than one that's being ridden. Sitting untouched is not helpful to any vehicles I know of.

Whatever you buy, look in the gas tank as far as you can. Any bike stored improperly may seem like a bargain at first but bite you when the rust in the tank shuts it down. << Applies to any make, model not stored properly. i.e. completely full tank with stable and/or a completely empty tank and ran OUT of fuel before being parked. Same thing with antifreeze and brakes. Low on fluid allows various forms of rust, corrosion, and oxidation to occur.

These bikes are pretty bullet prof. Engine and trans came from the flagship R6 race bike and many of the internal parts interchange. They don't blow up just to spite the owner. Usually its a result of some form of neglect or abuse.
I thought we have a different/worse trans? (not saying it isn't reliable but I thought the R6 had a much smoother one)

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just find one that has been well maintained.

I would have offered you mine but she just sold in Ohio. These engines are bulletproof through all years if maintained properly. Got mine at 2000 miles when I was in school, drove the bejeezus out of it and finally had to sell with more than 16,000 on it. But I babied it so still ran amazing.

If you find one in the Cincinnati area I'd be willing to look it over for ya. Just PM me.