Lookin' at a new FZ6 for commutin'

lgjhn

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I'm brand new here (first post) and looking seriously at purchasing a new FZ6. Perusing this site has provided some great info. Thanks!!
I'm an older rider (58) and have been at it since about 16 when I first started out with a hand-me-down, well-used, dirt bike. Right now, I own a big old hunker of a Goldwing (2006 model) that my wife and I use to tour the countryside on along with towing our little trailer. Lately, I've been using the Wing alot for commuting back/forth to work (35 miles one way) and I'm in the market for a good solid commuter bike and saving the miles on the Wing for what it was made for (long distance touring, two up).
I initially narrowed my search down to 4 bikes: Kawi 650R, Suzi GSX650R, V-strom 650, and the new Yamaha FZ6R. I spent quite a bit of time researching these bikes and finally went to the dealer today to look at all of em. They all had their features and to be honest, I could have probably been happy with any of em, but as I was looking over the new yellow FZ6R, I happen to notice the black bike sitting right next to it and it looked really cool. Not realizing it was actually an FZ6, I jumped on it and it felt GREAT!!!! It fit me the best of all of em. Unfortunately, I had done zero research on this model and was not about to purchase it without some serious internet digging. Since I got back home, I've been researching (found this forum too) and it looks like some of the earlier models may have had fuel mapping issues that were corrected in the 2007 model. I have the option between a brand new 2008 and a 2009 with a substantial difference in price. I don't see much difference between the two model years and I'm leaning hard on getting the 2008 and saving some coin.
So I'm interested in what anyone has to say about the difference between the two model years and the bike in general. Thanks in advance.

There's no difference between the 2008 and 9 models so if you can save a lot by getting the "new" 2008, please do go for it!

I owned both an '05 with the TPS issue (replaced) and the '08 models. I loved them both regardless. The '08 was a fantastic bike! So, why am I on an FZ1 now, eh? It was a whim that paid off. I'd still have the '08 FZ6 if I could have kept both! My wife now has the FZ6R and loves it! I've ridden it a little but not on the street yet. But I can tell you that I like the non-R better without an actual street test. The added HP of the non-R really makes a big difference.

Either way you cannot go wrong, but if the '08 saves you money, by all means, grab it. :D You'll love it!

I got a new 08 a few months ago and couldn't be happier, they are the same bike mechanically, and the saving was amazing (worked out about 20-25% before orc's)

Overall they're very good do-it-all bikes. I recently picked up another after owning an 04 model. Never ridden the 07+ models but, I understand the throttle response is better than the previous models.

I commute 84 miles a day on my 08, 4 out of the 5 days in a week. I use a backpack now but am looking at a bag system. On the freeway the RPMs do run a little high, but I love the bike and cant see switching or upgrading any time soon.

Any of the bikes you've mentioned are very good for commuting. I liked my FZ6 because the motor, frame and brakes are more advanced than the other bikes you listed. The only negative in the group are the suspensions, they are entry level and not anywhere as sophisticated as your Wing's. That and you can't balance a dime on end on the cylinder head. :rolleyes:

i just bought an 08 fz6 new just a month ago. Before I bought it i test rode a fz6r. I think the fz6r is more beginner friendly, lower seat height, less power. So for your situation I would definately go with the fz6, not the r if your used to riding the goldwing. Plus i think the fz6 is more of an older guys bike than a bright yellow fz6r :Flash: Trust me get the fz6 you wont be dissapointed.

It is the perfect bike for commuting, as well as having awesome fun, you literally probably won't need to go past 6k revs if your riding within speed limits and use your gears properly for very sedate riding, but you also have all that much more on tap if needed.

The bike handles wonderfully, I'm bias'd but its the best naked 600 on the market looks wise by about 500%, you'll get alot of compliments about it guarantee'd!
Not to mention on paper its the best value and performance, and it certainly translates from paper onto the road very nicely.

Hi,
I'm brand new here (first post) and looking seriously at purchasing a new FZ6. Perusing this site has provided some great info. Thanks!!
I'm an older rider (58) and have been at it since about 16 when I first started out with a hand-me-down, well-used, dirt bike. Right now, I own a big old hunker of a Goldwing (2006 model) that my wife and I use to tour the countryside on along with towing our little trailer. Lately, I've been using the Wing alot for commuting back/forth to work (35 miles one way) and I'm in the market for a good solid commuter bike and saving the miles on the Wing for what it was made for (long distance touring, two up).
I initially narrowed my search down to 4 bikes: Kawi 650R, Suzi GSX650R, V-strom 650, and the new Yamaha FZ6R. I spent quite a bit of time researching these bikes and finally went to the dealer today to look at all of em. They all had their features and to be honest, I could have probably been happy with any of em, but as I was looking over the new yellow FZ6R, I happen to notice the black bike sitting right next to it and it looked really cool. Not realizing it was actually an FZ6, I jumped on it and it felt GREAT!!!! It fit me the best of all of em. Unfortunately, I had done zero research on this model and was not about to purchase it without some serious internet digging. Since I got back home, I've been researching (found this forum too) and it looks like some of the earlier models may have had fuel mapping issues that were corrected in the 2007 model. I have the option between a brand new 2008 and a 2009 with a substantial difference in price. I don't see much difference between the two model years and I'm leaning hard on getting the 2008 and saving some coin.
So I'm interested in what anyone has to say about the difference between the two model years and the bike in general. Thanks in advance.

I've test-ridden most of the bikes on your list. They're all good, but obviously you know which one I chose!

I liked the fact that the FZ6 is low-maintenance (e.g., no valve checks for 24,000 miles + easy to access pretty much everything on it), it has a quality finish, it is cheap to insure, and it has great aftermarket support. It's also very comfortable as stock (the only other bike on your list that is comfortable is the V-Strom 650 - it's a great bike too, although I'd rather have the FZ6 on the highway or twisties and save the V-Strom for dirt roads). Being a rev-happy I-4 it's very predictable at low speeds and at higher rpms it's a rocket that'll leave any twin-cylinder in its class for dead. It has PLENTY of power for crusing on the highway.

Compared with other forums, if you look around here you'll notice very few threads with titles like 're-mapping needed' 'bike won't start' or 'oil leak'. This bike is absolutely, positively 100% awesome pretty much as it comes. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't mod the hell out of it to meet your personal style (tourer/full-on supersport/track bike/street fighter have all been done). It handles well, has a decent stock suspension (not as adjustable as others, but few ever feel the need to upgrade), and the brakes are fantastic too.

I bought a leftover 2007 FZ6 last year (identical to the 08 and 09 models). I've done many 750+ mile days and it's a champ. Not as comfortable as your Goldwing, but still very, very good. It'll easily do long days on the slab, and you can mod it further if needed (I went +1 on the front sprocket to drop the rpm even lower on the highway for Iron Butt-type rides).

I should say something bad about it, so here's an attempt. It does have a tiny bit of I-4 buzz at 5500 rpm, although it doesn't cause any numbness and it seems to go away with time (at least mine did). You'll sometimes hear people complain that the throttle is 'snatchy' as well. In truth, it is a bit like that compared to some other bikes, although the 07+ models are improved and it takes about 10 minutes to get used to it.

I've been commuting on my '07 for two years now and can't complain, 'cept for the rain. :thumbup:

i got the 09 recently since the dealer gave me a sick deal on it better then another dealer in the area on a 08! just send me a private msg and i will give u some infos!

Thanks to all that replied.
I do believe I'm gonna try to nail the deal on the '08...unless I can get em to budge a little more on the '09. Times are hard right now with sales down over 30%. They really wanna sell bikes.
I'm glad I found this forum.
I'm going back and test ride it later this week.....
I'm not too concerned about suspension and ride for a commute bike as long as it works properly. I know its radically different than the Wing and will take a little gettin' used to, but I suspect it won't take 10 minutes down the road for that!!!
Thanks all.
LJ

I picked up a leftover '08 FZ6 a few weeks ago after looking at some of the same bikes you did. On the sales floor, no test rides!, the FZ6 felt best but you never really know until you ride it. So, great deal in hand, I took a chance. I freakin' love the bike. No more lower back pain and the seat is actually comfortable! The bike is smooth, fast and stable. Yet it still turns like it's on rails.

Yes, there is a bit of buzz around 5k and the windscreen does not really work well but there is little else to complain about. The friction zone is small and at the very end of the clutch lever's travel but you get used to that. I also like that it is not just another boy-racer wannbe type bike.

Tim

The fz6 will be a great complimentary bike to the wing. I also had a wing and for local stuff it was not alot of fun to pull it out of the garage whereas the fz is so light and a do it all bike. Something else not mentioned above is it runs on regular gas, gets 50 mpg. The only thing you will need out of the box is either a throttle rocker or a vista cruise throttle lock cause the throttle hand does get buzzy. Other than that it is great. I had an 04 and am looking at getting a gen II(07 on) due to the better brakes etc. The bikes you mentioned only the vstrom is another do alot well but it does not have the zip of the fz. Once the tac is above 6-7k it goes like a 1k liter bike. Plus the vstrom is more maintenance intensive(shorter maintenance intervals) than the fz. Buy it you will not regret it and if you do and I haven't already bought one I will buy it from you. Good luck.

Back